SA Rare Bird News Report - 23 May 2022

Trevor Hardaker

May 23, 2022, 12:01:38 PM5/23/22
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com

S O U T H E R N   A F R I C A N   R A R E   B I R D   N E W S   R E P O R T

This is the Southern African Rare Bird News Report issued at 18h00 on Monday, 23 May 2022.

Information has been gleaned from various websites, email groups as well as from individual observers who have passed on their sightings. This report cannot be taken as being totally comprehensive as it is based only on information made available at the time of writing. All bird sightings reported here are reported in good faith based on information as provided by the observers. Any inaccuracies are totally unintentional and the writer cannot be held liable for these.

None of the records included in this report have undergone any adjudication process with any of the subregion’s Rarities Committees, so inclusion in this report does not constitute any official confirmation of the particular record. Observers are still encouraged to make the necessary submissions accordingly.

For those who may have only joined the group recently and are interested in finding out what has been seen in the past, previous reports can be viewed at http://groups.google.co.za/group/sa-rarebirdnews

SARBN is proud to be associated

with the following brands:

PLEASE CONSIDER FOLLOWING ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY CLICKING ON THE LINKED ICONS BELOW:

Instagram

Facebook

Before I get started with the report, this is just to let everyone know that there won’t be a formal report going out on Thursday evening as I have another commitment that I have to attend but, should any significant records come to the fore this week, I will certainly post individual alerts and updates about them.

On to the news and, starting in the Western Cape, a pelagic trip out of Hout Bay on Saturday delivered at least 4 different SPECTACLED PETRELS (confirmed as different individuals from photos) for all on board to enjoy. Strandfontein Sewage Works remained in the news with the AFRICAN JACANA still on Pan T1 and a number of FULVOUS WHISTLING DUCKS still on Pan P4 on Saturday while, close by, a GOLIATH HERON was reported at Zeekoevlei on Saturday as well. Up on the west coast, the LESSER SAND PLOVER was still at the salt marsh south of Geelbek restaurant in the West Coast National Park yesterday. The Garden Route delivered a SQUACCO HERON south of George Airport at -34.030, 22.377 yesterday and 2 RED-BILLED OXPECKERS at Fynbos on Sea in Sedgefield yesterday while a GOLIATH HERON was also seen just south of Beaufort West at -32.38, 22.588 yesterday as well.

Spectacled Petrel on pelagic trip

© Trevor Hardaker

Spectacled Petrel on pelagic trip

© Garret Skead

Spectacled Petrel on pelagic trip

© Hilton Thomson

Lesser Sand Plover at Geelbek

© Garret Skead

Fulvous Whistling Duck at Strandfontein Sewage Works

© Hernus Langeveldt

African Jacana at Strandfontein Sewage Works

© Hernus Langeveldt

Squacco Heron near George Airport

© Richard du Toit

Goliath Heron in Beaufort West

© Marné Janse van Veuren

Into Kwazulu Natal where the EURASIAN OYSTERCATCHER was still around and was seen in front of Umhlanga Sands Resort yesterday and at South Beach in Umdloti this afternoon.

Over in Mpumalanga, a CROWNED EAGLE was seen over Lower Sabie camp in the Kruger National Park on Friday.

And finally, in Namibia, at least one YELLOW-THROATED LEAFLOVE was still at Caprivi Houseboat Safari Lodge in Katima Mulilo on Saturday.

Eurasian Oystercatcher in Umhlanga

© Tracy Rehse

Eurasian Oystercatcher at Umdloti

© Ryan Daly

Crowned Eagle at Lower Sabie

© Lex van Vught

Thank you to all observers who have contributed their records. Please continue to send through any reports of odd birds as well as continued updates on the presence of rarities already previously reported, no matter how mundane you think they may be. Even if you think someone else has probably sent in a report, rather send the report yourself as well. The only way to improve this service and to make it as useful as possible to everyone is if it can be as comprehensive as possible.

Kind regards

Trevor

TREVOR HARDAKER

Cape Town, South Africa