SARBN: Lesser Whitethroat at Mosaic Lagoon Lodge

Trevor Hardaker

Jul 3, 2024, 12:02:05 PM (13 days ago) Jul 3
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com

Good evening SARBN subscribers,

Just a quick update…

Firstly, I have now received the original photos of the bird at Mosaic Lagoon Lodge near Stanford and there seems little doubt that the bird is, in fact, a LESSER WHITETHROAT and only the second ever record for the whole of Southern Africa. Well done to Sean Hartnett for an exceptional find indeed!

Secondly, I have been in discussions with the lodge about access and, unfortunately, there will not be any access given to Day Visitors to attempt to twitch the bird. The lodge management has said the following:

“We are a private property with a high end lodge where our inhouse guests privacy and experience comes first. So naturally anybody are welcome to book a night with us in the hope of seeing this special bird but unfortunately receiving Day Visitors at the property is a bit difficult. The Lesser Whitethroat was spotted in the Milkwoods basically inside the lodge, so very very close to our guests suites. It would be very intrusive to have people walking around their rooms.”

So, if you want to go and look for the bird, you are welcome to book a night (or more) at the lodge in order to do so, but please don’t just arrive there expecting to be let in as a day visitor as access will not be allowed. For further info and to book, the lodge’s website is https://www.mosaiclagoonlodge.co.za/

Lastly, although not confirmed 100%, it seems as if the bird was still present this afternoon there, so that does bode well for anyone considering the twitch.

Kind regards

Trevor