Breaking news from SARBN

Trevor Hardaker

Nov 22, 2013, 11:33:44 PM11/22/13
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
GREEN SANDPIPER - a single bird present at Biyamithi weir in the Kruger NP this morning - reported by Duncan McKenzie.

Kind regards
Trevor

Trevor Hardaker

Nov 23, 2013, 3:02:55 AM11/23/13
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
GREEN SANDPIPER - a single individual has just been found at Polokwane Bird Sanctuary - reported by Dewald Swanepoel.

Trevor Hardaker

Nov 23, 2013, 9:58:44 AM11/23/13
to SA Rare Bird News

Just to let everyone know that there will be no formal report on Monday evening – it is my wedding anniversary and I am “taking the night off”... I think Margaret gives up enough of her time with me for the rest of the birding community, so she deserves some time with me on our anniversary...:)

Anyway, some quick additional notes from today so far:

BARAU’S PETREL – just a single bird seen on today’s pelagic trip out of Durban making it “quiet” by comparison to yesterday’s one – reported by Niall Perrins

CRAB PLOVER – no sign of the immature bird at the mouth of the Umlalazi River in Mtunzini today – reported by Tony Roberts

AFRICAN HAWK EAGLE -  a single bird reported this afternoon along the road between Kranskop and Nkandla in Kwazulu Natal – reported by Tobias von Seydlitz

BLACK-NECKED GREBE – a single bird present earlier today at Turfloop Dam in Limpopo – reported by Matthew Axelrod

LARK-LIKE BUNTING – at least 2 birds coming in to drink at Abrahamskraal in the West Coast National Park this afternoon – reported by yours truly.

Keep the reports coming in!

Kind regards

Trevor

TREVOR HARDAKER

Cape Town, South Africa

Follow our local exploits in the field at:

http://hardakerwildlife.wordpress.com/

See our photos and trip reports at:

www.hardaker.co.za

ZEST for BIRDS

Pelagics, rarity photos, listing clubs and more:

www.zestforbirds.co.za

SA RARE BIRD NEWS

Get the latest rarity news by joining at:

http://groups.google.co.za/group/sa-rarebirdnews

SOUTHERN AFRICAN RARITIES

Online database of all SA rarities

www.rarities.co.za

Trevor Hardaker

Nov 23, 2013, 12:01:00 PM11/23/13
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
CRAB PLOVER - an immature bird found today at the mouth of the Umfolozi River (possibly the Mtunzini bird that seems to have disappeared?) - reported by Andre Bernon.

Trevor Hardaker

Nov 23, 2013, 12:04:12 PM11/23/13
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
CASPIAN PLOVER - at least 7 individuals located today at Mpempe Pan in KZN - reported by Andre Bernon.

Trevor Hardaker

Nov 24, 2013, 3:55:16 AM11/24/13
to SA Rare Bird News

Just some further bits of interesting news that has come in...

GOLDEN-BREASTED BUNTINGa single individual reported on the farm Dowefontein about 20 km west of Aberdeen on Friday – reported by Japie Claassen.

YELLOW-THROATED PETRONIA – at least 2 individuals present on the farm Dowefontein about 20 km west of Aberdeen on Friday – reported by Japie Claassen.

BLACK-CHESTED SNAKE EAGLE – one bird seen in Beaufort West yesterday – reported by Japie Claassen.

BROWN SNAKE EAGLE – also a single individual reported from Beaufort West yesterday – reported by Japie Claassen.

YELLOW-THROATED PETRONIA – a single bird seen on a farm about 50km east of Beaufort West yesterday – reported by Japie Claassen.

WHITE-FACED DUCK – at least 16 individuals present on a farm about 10km south-east of Beaufort West yesterday - reported by Japie Claassen.

WHISKERED TERN – a number of individuals suddenly arrived at a dam on the farm Bapsfontein in Murraysburg yesterday – reported by Izak and Susanna van der Merwe.

SOUTHERN BROWN-THROATED WEAVER – at least one individual still present at Crocodile Bridge in the Kruger National Park yesterday – reported by Johan and Annalie Potgieter.

Trevor Hardaker

Nov 24, 2013, 6:04:55 AM11/24/13
to SA Rare Bird News

The 3rd and final Durban pelagic trip has just gotten back into signal range and have reported yet another BARAU’S PETREL and another SOOTY TERN from today’s trip! All in all, a rather successful 3 days of pelagic birding off of Durban – reported by Niall Perrins.

Kind regards

Trevor

Trevor Hardaker

Nov 26, 2013, 11:13:15 PM11/26/13
to SA Rare Bird News

TREE PIPIT – a single bird was seen and photographed yesterday in a garden in Lüderitz in Namibia (has apparently been present for 2 days now) – reported by Jessica Kemper.

Kind regards

Trevor

Trevor Hardaker

Nov 29, 2013, 8:27:32 AM11/29/13
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
CRAB PLOVER - an immature bird is currently present at the St Lucia estuary - reported by Frans van Vuuren.

Trevor Hardaker

Nov 30, 2013, 8:00:04 AM11/30/13
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I am out of town and the signal here is not great, hence the delay...

CRAB PLOVER - still present this morning at the St Lucia estuary - reported by Rolf and Karen Wiesler.

MADAGASCAR CUCKOO - no sign of this bird for the last couple of days now despite a number of people searching for it.

BLACK TERN - one bird present on the north-eastern corner of Pan P2 at Strandfontein Sewage Works (also 2 SAND MARTINS present) - reported by John Graham.