SARBN: some general birding-related info

Trevor Hardaker

Jul 27, 2021, 12:25:04 PM7/27/21
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com

Good evening all SARBN subscribers,

A quick note which has nothing at all to do with rarities…

Firstly, this Friday and Saturday sees the much anticipated Virtual African Bird Fair 2021 hosted by BirdLife South Africa happening. It promises to be a fantastic event with many birding-related exhibitors, plenty of free talks and a few paid workshops as well. I’ve attached the programme here for your interest and I’m sure you will find that there will be plenty to keep you entertained. It is important that you register beforehand for this event and you can do so at www.eventmobi.com/birdfair. Let’s all try and register and attend this event if we can as it will go a long way to support the important work that BirdLife South Africa does. And, while we are showing our support for BLSA, we will also be having lots of fun and getting to see exhibitors and hearing talks about birds and birding for 1,5 days. Could it get any better than that…J

Secondly, I also just wanted to remind all of you about the Jackpot Birding raffle that our friends at BLSA are running. Tickets are R500 each and there are now just over 100 tickets left. With a first prize of R100000 (that amount of money will pay for a LOT of birding trips!!), please rush over to http://www.birdlife.org.za/jackpot-birding/ for further details and to purchase your tickets as soon as possible. Who knows how much longer there might still be tickets left to purchase?! And, once again, all funds raised through this raffle got towards the very important bird conservation work that BLSA does.

Lastly, and this on a more personal note, for those of you on Facebook, I would like to encourage you to consider joining our newish group on FB for the Zest for Birds pelagic trips that we run here in Cape Town. Every birder should consider doing a pelagic trip at some point in their lives – it is an experience not to be missed! You can join the group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/493212575281206 where you will find trip reports, plenty of photos and news of upcoming trips. I look forward to seeing some of you there…J

That’s all for now folks. Let’s hope that the winter birding picks up again soon and that there will be plenty of juicy rarities to report on in the future SARBN reports!

Kind regards

Trevor

Fri.jpg
Sat-am.jpg