Southern African Rare Bird News Thursday 11 August 2022

Garret Skead

Aug 11, 2022, 1:16:38 PM8/11/22
to SA Rare Bird News
Dear SARBN subscribers

This will be my last report for now. Trevor Hardaker is back from his travels, and eagerly waiting in the wings to take the reins back. From tomorrow, please send all updates and reports to Trevor.

Starting in the Western Cape, a BLACK TERN was found on Tuesday afternoon at Rietvlei Wetland Reserve in Cape Town, at -33.839, 18.497. Unfortunately the bird was not seen again. Although I held back on confirming the identification of this bird, largely based on the lack of upper wing and rump shots, I am now confident of the ID, and it is confirmed as a Black Tern (see photo attached (c) Regard van Dyk). At Kruismansbaai, Danger Point, a ROSEATE TERN was seen foraging offshore on Tuesday morning. Also on Tuesday, the CINNAMON-BREASTED BUNTING was still at the same spot in Riebeek West (see photo attached (c) Finn Gretschel). On the Garden Route, a COMMON MYNA was seen in the parking area of Eden Meander in George, which is presumably (and hopefully...!) the same individual seen in the general area on 4 July. FULVOUS WHISTLING DUCKS were present at Rondevlei in Cape Town and Strandfontein sewage works over the last few days, and a flock of them was seen on Swartvlei near Sedgefield on Wednesday morning, at -34.017, 22.802. The greater Cape Town area has seen a mini-influx of WATTLED STARLINGS, with one present at Rietvlei yesterday morning and three seen today in Kommetjie. In the Blouberg area of Cape Town, two KAROO THRUSHES were seen in a private garden in Radar Road today. This species shows a winter dispersal to the west coast, albeit in very low numbers, but is seldom seen as far south as Blouberg.

In the Eastern Cape, there was an unconfirmed record of a TAWNY EAGLE in Addo Elephant National Park near Rooidam on Tuesday, and a juvenile PALM-NUT VULTURE was seen on Rufanes River Farm near Port Alfred at a bushbuck carcass (see photo attached (c) Richard Legg), and was still there this afternoon. The SNOWY SHEATHBILL remained at St Croix Island in Algoa Bay until at least yesterday afternoon. The province also delivered a FULVOUS WHISTLING DUCK, seen north of Cradock on the Fish River on Tuesday morning. A STRIATED HERON was seen in East London at the Qinira River yesterday, at -32.957, 27.958.

In Gauteng, a MARABOU STORK was seen on Tuesday morning in the Rooiwal area close to the abattoir, and an AFRICAN FINFOOT was seen in the Rooiwal area at -25.567, 28.225. The latter species is seen in the wider Gauteng area fairly regularly, but remains an excellent species to see within the confines of the Gauteng province itself.

Regarding the Wood Warbler, there have been no further reports sent to me or the Limpopo Telegram group since the last report on Monday morning.

And just a final word from me, to say thank you to everyone who took the time to send me updates, and photographs of the rare and scarce birds seen over the last few weeks. Considering that it is winter, I think we've had some incredibly exciting records recently, and I can't wait to see what the spring and summer season holds.

Kind regards
Garret
Black Tern (c) Regard van Dyk.png
Cinnamon-breasted Bunting (C) Finn Gretschel.png
Palm-nut Vulture (c) Richard Legg.png