Update from SARBN

Trevor Hardaker

Oct 14, 2016, 3:03:53 AM10/14/16
to SA Rare Bird News
GREEN SANDPIPER – still present this morning at Vlei Bridge in Rietvlei Nature Reserve (Gauteng) – reported by Bennie van der Merwe.

Kind regards
Trevor

Trevor Hardaker

Oct 15, 2016, 2:26:01 AM10/15/16
to SA Rare Bird News

RUFOUS-BELLIED HERON - still present this morning at the Sappi wetlands in Stanger (KZN) at -29.344, 31.309 - reported by Ian Gordon.

Kind regards
Trevor

Sent from BlueMail

Trevor Hardaker

Oct 15, 2016, 5:28:26 AM10/15/16
to SA Rare Bird News

KNOB-BILLED DUCK – still present this morning at Avondson farm (Western Cape) at the dam at 33 deg 30’ 45” S 19 deg 15’ 51” E. Anyone wanting to look for it can contact the farmer, Plum Lategan, at 083 229 9002 to arrange access – reported by Basil Boer.

Kind regards

Trevor

Trevor Hardaker

Oct 15, 2016, 6:31:43 AM10/15/16
to SA Rare Bird News

WHIMBREL – the single bird has just been relocated at Roodeplaat Dam (Gauteng) along the shoreline close to, but just to the left of, where it was originally reported from on Friday (those co-ordinates were -25.636, 28.348) – reported by Duane and Melissa Fischer.

Kind regards

Trevor

Trevor Hardaker

Oct 15, 2016, 7:12:55 AM10/15/16
to SA Rare Bird News

GREEN SANDPIPER – I have received second hand news that this bird was apparently seen at about 7am this morning again at Vlei bridge in Rietvlei Nature Reserve (Gauteng) although no-one has let me know directly about this yet.

However, the main reason for this message is to remind everyone that there is a strict “no getting out of cars” policy at Rietvlei Nature Reserve because there are potentially dangerous animals in the reserve. I have seen photos taken this morning of a fairly large gathering of people out of their cars and standing on the bridge with binoculars and scopes looking for the bird. I remind you, once again, to always abide by the rules of the particular area that you are in – if the rules state that you are not allowed to get out of your cars, then please don’t do so. Not only are you giving the impression to other non-birders that birders are happy to flaunt rules to get a tick (a very generalised statement!), you will also disturb the bird which is going to decrease your own chances of seeing it. Rather use your vehicle as a hide and you are far more likely to get decent views of it. So, please, let’s all abide by the rules of Rietvlei Nature Reserve and not spoil it for everyone else.

Thanks!

Kind regards

Trevor