Admin notes on Cuckoo and Noddy

Garret Skead

Dec 29, 2020, 12:32:36 PM12/29/20
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

Regarding Soetdoring Nature Reserve, I’ve been informed by visiting birders that the reserve was instructed to close their gates today until 15 Jan 2021, due to level 3 rules, but that they are waiting for final written confirmation. Potential Madagascan Cuckoo twitchers should be aware of this. I haven’t spoken to the reserve myself directly, but if you are planning to visit, please note that there may be access limitations.

Secondly I’ve heard back from the observer of the Lesser Noddy, that the bird was seen seen from a fishing boat at about 850m from shore, at the pin provided earlier, and that it was feeding with terns, but was not seen on land or in the tern roost. The bird was seen between 6:30 and 8:30 this morning.

Kind regards
Garret