Updates from SARBN

Garret Skead

Dec 18, 2018, 11:24:42 PM12/18/18
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
LESSER FRIGATEBIRD: Seen this morning at the Tern roost at St Lucia. Reported by Kevin Nel.

BLACK-TAILED GODWIT: The bird at Marievale was seen yesterday morning and afternoon. Reported by Marc Freeman and Blane Venter.

Kind regards
Garret

Garret Skead

Dec 19, 2018, 2:26:01 AM12/19/18
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
BLACK-TAILED GODWIT: Present again this morning in Marievale, -26.338, 28.517.
Reported by Jan and Myrna van Wyk.

FRANKLIN'S GULL: Seen at the sandbank inland of the M4, Durban, as well as a single HARTLAUB'S GULL at the Umgeni River mouth. Reported today by Garth Aiston.

Kind regards
Garret

Garret Skead

Dec 20, 2018, 12:39:46 AM12/20/18
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
BLACK-TAILED GODWIT: Still present at Marievale this morning. Reported by Erle Alsworth-Elvey.

LESSER FRIGATEBIRD and EURASIAN OYSTERCATCHER: Reported from St Lucia yesterday morning. The last report I have for the Frigatebird was at 10:45 on Wednesday. Reported by Doug McCullogh, Justen Dralle and Zoe Brocklehurst.

RED-BACKED SHRIKE: A bird was seen and photographed yesterday afternoon at Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve, Western Cape. The bird was seen on the right hand side after driving through the main gate, at the following co-ordinates: -34.261, 18.456. Reported by Luke Goddard.

Kind regards
Garret

Garret Skead

Dec 21, 2018, 1:50:50 AM12/21/18
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
BLACK-TAILED GODWIT: Present this morning at Marievale, about 1km past the Duiker Hide. Reported by Steve Stevenson.

FRANKLIN’S GULL: Present today on the Umgeni just above the M4, Durban. Reported by Ian Gordon and Marcus Fourie.

AFRICAN CRAKE: I’m not sure of the rarity status of the species in the area, but it may be worth mentioning that a bird was seen at Drotsky’s Camp in Botswana. Reported by Marc Nortje.

Kind regards
Garret

Garret Skead

Dec 22, 2018, 2:14:06 AM12/22/18
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
GREY WAGTAIL: seen this morning at the waterfall at Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens. Reported by Steve Stevenson

ORANGE-WINGED PYTILIA: seen yesterday morning and afternoon from Punda Maria camp in Kruger. Reported by Graeme Marais and Ray Dumbleton.

FRANKLIN’S GULL: Present this morning at the same spot near the M4 in Durban. Reported by Hugo Voigts

SOOTY FALCON: Two birds seen in the blue gums at Mbazwana in KZN. Reported by Jacques van Wyk.

BLUE-CHEEKED BEE-EATER: Seen at Plett at the usual spot yesterday. Reported by Mike Bridgeford.

LESSER STRIPED SWALLOW: Seen at the Goukamma River where it passes under the N2. Reported by Simon Fogarty.

SPOTTED CRAKE: Seen yesterday in Gabarone Game Reserve. Reported by Ian White.

DUSKY LARK: Slightly out of range bird seen at Borakalalo Game Reserve. Reported by Brad Arthur.

Happy birding.

Kind regards
Garret

Garret Skead

Dec 25, 2018, 12:57:47 AM12/25/18
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
LESSER FRIGATEBIRD: Seen today in Richard’s Bay, Casuarinas area. Reported by Henk Schoeman.

BLACK-TAILED GODWIT: Still present in Marievale today. Reported by Rolf and Karin Wiesler.

ICTERINE WARBLER: Still present today in Grahamstown. Reported by Lynette Rudman.

Kind regards
Garret

Garret Skead

Dec 26, 2018, 2:04:30 AM12/26/18
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
LESSER FRIGATEBIRD: Seen today at Richards Bay. Reported by Jonathan Sykes.
(If you need more specifics on where this bird was seen, please send me a WhatsApp and I will forward some details to you: 0716126370).

ELEGANT TERN: Seen at Hondeklipbaai today. Reported by Josef van Wyngaardt and Henk Nel.

WESTERN YELLOW WAGTAIL: Three birds present today at Loch Lomond, Bethlehem. Reported by Riaan and Neil Venter.

EURASIAN OYSTERCATCHER: A delayed report of two birds seen at Illovo beach on 16 December. Reported by Annelize de Beer.

ICTERINE WARBLER: Seen again early this morning in Grahamstown. Reported by Lynette Rudman.

Kind regards
Garret

Garret Skead

Dec 28, 2018, 1:19:09 AM12/28/18
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
SOOTY FALCON: A bird was seen yesterday in the Blue Gum trees on the loop road at Thurlow Game Reserve, Midmar Dam, KwaZulu-Natal (-26.538, 30.159).
Reported by Bernadette Wessels.

In the Eastern Cape, BLACK KITE and STEPPE EAGLE were reported today from the Komga dump site by Jo Balmer, and the juvenile ALLEN’S GALLINULE was seen at the Cinsta Sewerage Works today, reported by Alan Collet.

So far, I’ve received no good news on the White Tern.

Kind regards
Garret

Garret Skead

Dec 28, 2018, 12:57:50 PM12/28/18
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
EGYPTIAN VULTURE: An immature bird was reported today from the S126 near Satara, in the Kruger National Park, at 16h40. Please note that this is as much information as I have on this sighting, and I have not yet received any GPS coordinates. I have also not seen photos of the bird.
Reported by Hanko von Schlichting.

GREY WAGTAIL: Seen in Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens from 08:00 until about 08:30 today, at the waterfall. Reported by Wessel Swanepoel.

AYRE'S HAWK EAGLE: Seen today at Nibela in northern KZN, -27.852, 32.412. Reported by Matthew Axelrod.

SPOTTED CRAKE: Present today at Umlalazi Nature Reserve, Mtunzini. Reported by Andrew Hester.

PALM-NUT VULTURE: Seen at the Komga dump site in the Eastern Cape this morning. Reported by Alan Collet.

I have been informed by one person that the Black-tailed Godwit was not seen today at Marievale, and needless to say, there is sadly no good news about the White Tern.

Kind regards
Garret

Garret Skead

Dec 28, 2018, 11:48:19 PM12/28/18
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
BLACK-TAILED GODWIT: I received notice last night that the bird was actually seen at Marievale yesterday morning (28 December).
Reported by Kevin du Plessis and Rolf Wiesler.

ICTERINE WARBLER: Seen this morning at the same area in Grahamstown.
Reported by Andrew de Blocq, Rebecca Goble and Lynette Rudman.

SPOTTED CRAKE: Present again this morning in Umlalazi Nature Reserve, Mtunzini. Reported by Andrew Hester.
If you want further information, you can WhatsApp Andrew directly on 076 989 1447.

Kind regards
Garret

Garret Skead

Dec 29, 2018, 3:17:57 AM12/29/18
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
BLACK-TAILED GODWIT: Present this morning at Marievale (-26.337, 28.516). Reported by Sarah Walker, Nadine Terreblanche and others.

PACIFIC GOLDEN PLOVER: Seen today in Hamburg, Eastern Cape, near the river mouth (-33.281, 27.482). Reported by Richard McKibbin.

GREAT EGRET: Still present today at Rooisand Nature Reserve, Western Cape. Reported by Stanislav Novotny.

SAND MARTIN: Seen today at Kabeljous river mouth (-33.996, 24.927). Reported by Mike and Adam Buckham.

My apologies for all the emails today, but there are a lot of good records coming in, and I don't want to leave them unreported till Monday.

Kind regards
Garret

Garret Skead

Jan 2, 2019, 1:17:42 AM1/2/19
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
GOLDEN PIPIT: The bird was seen again today at Manyoni Private Game Reserve, in the vicinity of tent 2. I've heard from the manager that the bird was also seen yesterday. Reported by Brad Smith.

RED-NECKED PHALAROPE: The bird at Kuifkopvisvanger was seen yesterday, in breeding plumage. There was also a GOLIATH HERON at the same site. Reported by Garret Skead, Anton Schultz and Luke Goddard. Photo attached (c) Luke Goddard.

LESSER MOORHEN: A juvenile bird was seen at Loch Lomond near Bethlehem yesterday, in a more accessible area in comparison to the two adults, which were also present. The juvenile was seen in the vicinity of the WESTERN YELLOW WAGTAILS. Reported by Martin Potgieter.

LESSER MOORHEN: A bird was seen at Mkomazana Lodge property on Monday, at the base of Sani Pass, Kwazulu-Natal, in the small pond in the trees between the bigger dams. Photo attached (c) Stuart McLean.
Reported by Stuart McLean.
Another bird was seen yesterday on a dam near Winterton (-28.829, 29.511). Reported by Dave Rimmer.

LONG-TAILED PARADISE WHYDAH: A bird was seen yesterday at the Karoo National Park in the Western Cape. Whilst this may represent a very unusual record for the province, I am told that there is a possibility of an escaped caged bird, therefore I can't confirm this is a truly wild species. Reported by Krista Oswald.

GREATER SAND PLOVER: Seen yesterday at the Kromme River mouth at St Francis Bay. Reported by Andrew de Blocq and Mike Buckham.
Photo attached (c) Mike Buckham.

DWARF BITTERN: Seen yesterday at the Kumasinga hide in Mkuze Game Reserve. Reported by Adam Cruikshank.

WHITE-BROWED SPARROW-WEAVER: At least 3 birds present in the Pafuri area of Kruger National Park, which I believe is a very unusual bird for the park. Reported by Johann du Preez.

BROWN SNAKE EAGLE: Seen yesterday in the Eastern Cape (-33.175, 26.190). Reported by Justin Nicholau.

SOOTY FALCON: Seen at Mbazwana on Monday. Reported by Jonathan Sykes.

LONG-TAILED PARADISE WHYDAH: A bird was seen on Monday in La Lucia area. Reported by Paul Eslick.

LONG-CRESTED EAGLE: Sighted in the vicinity of the Victoria Bay turn-off outside George on Monday. Reported by Leonie Fouche.

I did not receive any good news about the Black-tailed Godwit at Marievale yesterday, but the AFRICAN CRAKE was still present at the site (-26.335, 28.515). Reported by Mark Tittley.

Kind regards
Garret
GREATER SAND PLOVER - Mike Buckham.png
LESSER MOORHEN - Stuart McLean.png
RED-NECKED PHALAROPE - Luke Goddard.png

Garret Skead

Jan 2, 2019, 11:10:18 AM1/2/19
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
GOLDEN PIPIT: Still showing very well this afternoon at Manyoni Private Game Reserve. Photo attached (c) Brad Smith.
Reported by Matthew Axelrod.

GREEN SANDPIPER: Seen at Kabeljous River mouth, Eastern Cape, today (-33.995, 24.927). Please note that they experienced some vandalism of their car, which was parked next to the R102, so please be cautious at this site.
Reported by Pieter Heslinga.

CASPIAN PLOVER: Three birds seen close to Mopanie in the Kruger National Park (-23.438, 31.440). Reported by Juan van den Heever.

SOOTY FALCON: A bird was seen over Addo town yesterday morning. Reported by Keir and Alouise Lynch.

Kind regards
Garret
GOLDEN PIPIT - Brad Smith.png

Garret Skead

Jan 3, 2019, 12:44:51 PM1/3/19
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
Dear SARBN subscribers

This won't be a complete report for the last three days, because I sent out a fairly comprehensive summary yesterday of all the New Year's day records.  This email will include all the remaining records I have received since then. For the others, please consult my email of yesterday.

Starting with EUROPEAN HONEY BUZZARD sightings:
  • Nelspruit, Mpumalanga, on Tuesday
  • Mkuze Game Reserve, KZN, on Tuesday. Photo attached (c) Adam Cruikshank
  • Midstream Estate, Midrand, today
Kwazulu-Natal:
GOLDEN PIPIT: The good news is that the bird was showing well again today, at Manyoni Private Nature Reserve in Kwazulu-Natal. Photo attached (c) Hennie Peters.
LESSER SPOTTED EAGLE: No less than 6 individuals were seen on Wednesday near Pietermaritzburg (-29.699, 30.416).

Eastern Cape:
GREEN SANDPIPER: The birds at the Kabeljous River were found today again, at the following location: -33.995, 24.927. Photo attached (c) Pieter Heslinga.
LESSER SPOTTED EAGLE: A bird was seen between Tankatara and the Sundays River on Tuesday afternoon.

Free State:
The juvenile LESSER MOORHEN at Loch Lomond was seen again today, and the bird on the pan closer to Bloemfontein was also successfully seen this morning, and again this afternoon (-28.817, 26.664).

Gauteng:
LESSER MOORHEN: A bird was seen today at Marievale, about 500m from the Blesbokspruit causeway.

Western Cape:
CASPIAN PLOVER: A report of a sighting of 3 birds was sent to me this afternoon. The birds were seen at the Gouritz River mouth.

Kind regards
Garret
EUROPEAN HONEY BUZZARD - Adam Cruikshank.png
GOLDEN PIPIT - Hennie Peters.png
GREEN SANDPIPER - Pieter Heslinga.png

Garret Skead

Jan 6, 2019, 1:54:05 AM1/6/19
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com
GOLDEN PIPIT: Still present today at Manyoni Private Game Reserve. Reported by Janice Isom, Jan and Myrna van Wyk.

SPOTTED CRAKE: Reported again today from Umlalazi Nature Reserve, Mtunzini, by Jonathan Sykes.

LESSER SAND PLOVER: Still present at Aston bay/Paradise beach lagoon, Eastern Cape. Reported by Jorrie Jordaan.

LESSER SAND PLOVER: Still present at Hamburg, Eastern Cape. Reported by Ross Marriner.

LESSER SAND PLOVER: An individual was seen at Seekoei River estuary yesterday. Reported by Ron Searle.

PALM-NUT VULTURE and LESSER SPOTTED EAGLE: Seen today at Komga waste dump. Reported by Mike Simms. The site also held BLACK KITE on Friday, as well as the birds mentioned above. Reported by Foden Saunders.

GREEN SANDPIPER: The birds at Kabeljous River mouth was seen again yesterday. Reported by Keir Lynch.

ICTERINE WARBLER: Seen again today in Grahamstown. Reported by Lynette Rudman.

SOOTY FALCON: Still present near the traffic circle at Mbazwana yesterday. Reported by Jan and Myrna van Wyk.

Kind regards
Garret

Trevor Hardaker

Jan 8, 2019, 5:01:44 AM1/8/19
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com

A quick midday update on some of the news so far today…

LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL – the bird (specific taxon still to be confirmed) at Strandfontein Sewage Works (Western Cape) has not yet been relocated today despite a number of birders out searching for it.

WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER – the bird at the Sappi wetlands in Stanger (KZN) has not yet been relocated today despite a number of birders out searching for it.

GOLDEN PIPIT – still present today around Mavela Game Lodge (KZN). Access details all as posted previously – reported by Brad Smith.

GREY WAGTAIL – seen again this morning just below the restaurant at Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens (Gauteng) – reported by Rolf Wiesler.

Kind regards

Trevor