SA Rare Bird News Report - 12 April 2021

Trevor Hardaker

Apr 12, 2021, 12:01:52 PM4/12/21
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com

S O U T H E R N   A F R I C A N   R A R E   B I R D   N E W S   R E P O R T

This is the Southern African Rare Bird News Report issued at 18h00 on Monday, 12 April 2021.

Information has been gleaned from various websites, email groups as well as from individual observers who have passed on their sightings. This report cannot be taken as being totally comprehensive as it is based only on information made available at the time of writing. All bird sightings reported here are reported in good faith based on information as provided by the observers. Any inaccuracies are totally unintentional and the writer cannot be held liable for these.

None of the records included in this report have undergone any adjudication process with any of the subregion’s Rarities Committees, so inclusion in this report does not constitute any official confirmation of the particular record. Observers are still encouraged to make the necessary submissions accordingly.

For those who may have only joined the group recently and are interested in finding out what has been seen in the past, previous reports can be viewed at http://groups.google.co.za/group/sa-rarebirdnews

SARBN is proud to be associated

with the following brands:

PLEASE CONSIDER FOLLOWING ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY CLICKING ON THE LINKED ICONS BELOW:

Instagram

Facebook

The scarcity records are certainly starting to dry up a little now that many birds have already left to head north on their migration…

EUROPEAN HONEY BUZZARD:

·         2 birds near Macia at -25.06743, 32.96739 (Mozambique) yesterday.

On to the rest of the news and, starting in the Western Cape, there is no doubt that front and centre has been the NODDY that has been present in the Tern roost at Greenways in The Strand and which was still attracting quite a crowd today as it showed off. It also put in a brief appearance at Macassar Sewage Works on Saturday afternoon. For the time being, this bird remains a complete mystery and, the more research that gets done on it, the more we realise just how little we actually know about Noddy identification. The fact that this bird appears to be slightly worn and moulting too doesn’t help matters either. So, while I stated in my post on Saturday that we felt confident that it was not a Lesser Noddy, we have gone backwards now and are no longer confident of that either. Right now, we are confident of absolutely nothing other than that it is definitely a Noddy of some sort…;) We are engaging with several of the world’s foremost seabird identification experts at the moment to try and pin this ID down but there is not even agreement among them at the moment as to what exactly this bird is. We will continue working on it but, for now, we are still no closer to reaching any sort of definitive resolution on this bird. It’s hard to believe, given how many people have seen and photographed this bird, but it just goes to show how tough these things can be! I will keep everyone updated once there is more news to share…

The same Tern roost also provided some other local entertainment with up to 2 LESSER CRESTED TERNS present in the roost over the weekend while another (or one of the same) LESSER CRESTED TERN was also seen at Macassar Sewage Works on Saturday afternoon. Close by, both the AFRICAN PIED WAGTAIL and the SQUACCO HERON were also still at Paardevlei today. There also seems to be a mini-irruption of RED-BILLED QUELEAS happening at the moment with groups reported in a garden in Betty’s Bay on Friday, a garden in Monte Vista yesterday and a garden in Gordon’s Bay today, the latter report concerning around 40 birds! Up on the west coast, the RED-NECKED PHALAROPE and GOLIATH HERON were still at Kliphoek Salt Works in Velddrif on Saturday while the BROWN SNAKE EAGLE was also still on the van der Stel Pass near Bot River yesterday. Over on the Garden Route, 2 CINNAMON-BREASTED BUNTINGS were found in a small graveyard near Wilderness at -33.989, 22.654 on Saturday and were still there yesterday while the popular GREY WAGTAIL continued to entertain twitchers along the Seven Passes Road near Hoekwil until at least Saturday and the 4 AFRICAN PIED WAGTAILS were still around the jetty at the yacht club on the Keurbooms River in Plettenberg Bay on Saturday as well.

Noddy at The Strand

© Wynand Sauerman

Noddy at The Strand

© Nic Proust

Noddy at The Strand

© Tristan Silver

Noddy at The Strand

© Hernus Langeveldt

Noddy at The Strand

© Rob Bowie

Noddy at The Strand

© Peter Rosewarne

Noddy at The Strand

© Alex Aitkenhead

Noddy at The Strand

© Basil Boer

Noddy at The Strand

© David Hall

Noddy at The Strand

© David Swanepoel

Noddy at The Strand

© Gilbert Reinhardt

Noddy at The Strand

© Kevin Shields

Noddy at The Strand

© Robert Cooper

Noddy at The Strand

© Pamela Cooper

Noddy at The Strand

© Cliff Dorse

Noddy at The Strand

© Leon Strydom

Noddy at The Strand

© John Graham

Noddy at The Strand

© Garret Skead

Noddy at The Strand

© Michael Mason

Noddy at The Strand

© Matthew Prophet

Noddy at The Strand

© Decklan Jordaan

Noddy at The Strand

© Charles Britz

Noddy at The Strand

© Daryl de Beer

Noddy at The Strand

© Wilna Steenkamp

Noddy at Macassar Sewage Works

© Richard Crawshaw

Noddy twitchers at The Strand

© Rob Bowie

Lesser Crested Tern at The Strand

© Hernus Langeveldt

Brown Snake Eagle on the van der Stel Pass

© Dean Boshoff

African Pied Wagtail at Paardevlei

© Kevin Shields

African Pied Wagtail at Paardevlei

© Pamela Cooper

African Pied Wagtail at Paardevlei

© Lester van Groeningen

African Pied Wagtail at Paardevlei

© Daryl de Beer

Red-necked Phalarope at Kliphoek Salt Pans

© Otto Scribante

Cinnamon-breasted Bunting near Wilderness

© Regard van Dyk

Grey Wagtail on the Seven Passes Road

© Elmarie Brits

Grey Wagtail on the Seven Passes Road

© Ian Pletzer

Grey Wagtail on the Seven Passes Road

© Albert McLean

Grey Wagtail on the Seven Passes Road

© Garret Skead

In the Eastern Cape, there was some surprize (and relief for some twitchers) when the SOOTY GULL was found at the Swartkops River mouth yesterday having not being seen at the Sundays River mouth since Wednesday. Elsewhere, other lingerers included at least 4 BLUE-CHEEKED BEE-EATERS still in Colchester yesterday, the DWARF BITTERN still at the local dam in Barkly East on Saturday, the BRONZE WINGED COURSER still at Lawrence de Lange Game Reserve, near Queenstown, on Friday night and 3 BRONZE-WINGED COURSERS still at Roode Bloem farm near Graaff-Reinet on Friday night as well.

Moving up the coast into Kwazulu Natal, the popular BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER was still at Mpempe Pan until at least Saturday, a STRIPED CRAKE was still present at Kumahlala hide in Mkuze Game Reserve on Saturday and there were several DWARF BITTERN reports as well with 2 adults and a juvenile seen along the R22 from Hluhluwe to Sodwana Bay at -28.010, 32.301 on Friday and another adult seen at the bird hide at Nibela on Wednesday.

Sooty Gull at the Swartkops River mouth

© Gerrie Horn

Sooty Gull at the Swartkops River mouth

© Theunis Botha

Bronze-winged Courser at Lawrence de Lange Game Reserve

© Sabrina Elliott

Bronze-winged Courser at Lawrence de Lange Game Reserve

© Barry Kurten

Bronze-winged Courser on Roode Bloem farm

© Leonie Fouche

Bronze-winged Coursers on Roode Bloem farm

© Alan Collett

Dwarf Bittern in Barkly East

© Barry Kurten

Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Mpempe Pan

© Maans Booysen

Dwarf Bittern at Nibela

© Martin Vleggar

Dwarf Bittern at Nibela

© Ethan Vleggar

Gauteng chimed in with a moulting juvenile STEPPE EAGLE seen at Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve yesterday while 2 SWALLOW-TAILED BEE-EATERS were also reported at Rietvlei Nature Reserve on Friday afternoon.

Steppe Eagle at Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve

© Gareth Hazell

Swallow-tailed Bee-eaters at Rietvlei Nature Reserve

© Billy Terre Blanche

Across in Mpumalanga, the LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL was still at Leeupan near Leandra yesterday, one GREAT WHITE PELICAN remained on at the farm dam south of Leandra at -26.526, 28.856 yesterday and a STRIPED CRAKE was also reported at Londolozi Game Reserve yesterday.

And finally, in Namibia, a YELLOW-THROATED LEAFLOVE was seen close to Caprivi Houseboat Safari Lodge in Katima Mulilo on Saturday while there were a couple of records of out of range AFRICAN CRAKES as well on Friday with one seen at Keerweder in NamibRand Nature Reserve and another seen at Sandwich Harbour.

Lesser Black-backed Gull at Leeupan

© Niall Perrins

Great White Pelican south of Leandra

© Niall Perrins

Striped Crake at Londolozi Game Reserve

© James Tyrell

Yellow-throated Leaflove near Caprivi Houseboat Safari Lodge

© Etienne Marais

African Crake at NamibRand Nature Reserve

© Murray Tindall

African Crake at Sandwich Harbour

© Africa’s Edge Safaris

Thank you to all observers who have contributed their records. Please continue to send through any reports of odd birds as well as continued updates on the presence of rarities already previously reported, no matter how mundane you think they may be. Even if you think someone else has probably sent in a report, rather send the report yourself as well. The only way to improve this service and to make it as useful as possible to everyone is if it can be as comprehensive as possible.

Kind regards

Trevor

TREVOR HARDAKER

Cape Town, South Africa