Breaking news from SARBN

Trevor Hardaker

Oct 14, 2016, 1:52:06 AM10/14/16
to SA Rare Bird News
WHIMBREL – Roodeplaat Dam (Gauteng) seems to be cooking this morning with one of these just found and photographed at -25.636, 28.348 – reported by Michael Johnson and Corrie van Wyk.

Kind regards
Trevor

Trevor Hardaker

Oct 15, 2016, 1:19:58 AM10/15/16
to SA Rare Bird News

RED-HEADED QUELEA - at least 3 individuals have been found this morning at Ngciyo Pans (Eastern Cape) at 33°35'51.7"S 26°36'34.0"E - reported by Jo Balmer.

Kind regards
Trevor

Sent from BlueMail

Trevor Hardaker

Oct 15, 2016, 5:30:54 AM10/15/16
to SA Rare Bird News

CAPE BATIS – a single bird has been located and photographed this morning at Lower Sabie camp in the Kruger National Park at -25.122, 31.918 – reported by Simon Vegter.

Kind regards

Trevor

Trevor Hardaker

Oct 15, 2016, 10:03:57 AM10/15/16
to SA Rare Bird News

Some slightly delayed news, but it is my fault as the details of the sighting went into my junk mail folder and I only picked it up now...

BAR-TAILED GODWIT – 2 individuals were present yesterday at the northern end of the Blesbokspruit (Gauteng) at 26 deg 11’ 58.67” S 28 deg 28’ 44.96” E. I have also been asked to let people know that this is not the usual public area and is relatively unsafe with Illegal mining activity etc. and known locally as a trouble spot, so please do take care if you head there or at least go in a group – reported by Stan Madden and Rob Crosby.

Kind regards

Trevor

Trevor Hardaker

Oct 18, 2016, 11:03:28 AM10/18/16
to SA Rare Bird News

A small dark-headed Gull was seen briefly this afternoon flying around with Kelp Gulls near Thesen Island in Knysna. Unfortunately, it was only seen briefly and could not be conclusively identified on the views obtained (it is likely to be something like a Franklin’s or Black-headed Gull). A subsequent search around the islands also did not reveal any gull roosts, so the bird was unable to be relocated. However, it would pay for local birders to be aware of this and keep a look-out in the area, in case this bird can be relocated and finally identified to species – reported by Jared Hearsch via Clyde Porter.

Kind regards

Trevor