SARBN: bits and pieces...

Trevor Hardaker

Jan 11, 2022, 6:40:39 AM1/11/22
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com

Happy New Year all SARBN subscribers!

I am now back in the saddle, so the first thing to do is to thank Garret Skead for so ably running SARBN while I was away. It’s always great that this service can continue to operate even when I’m not around, so thanks very much Garret – your assistance was greatly appreciated!

So, from now on, all records and updates can be sent through to me again… no need to bother Garret anymore with those…;)

A few other quick points…

I have decided that, from now on, I will no longer be including records of EUROPEAN HONEY BUZZARDS in the formal reports that get sent out. This species has increased in number dramatically in the subregion in recent years and is at the point where we can’t even consider it a scarcity anymore as it far outnumbers many other species which don’t make the reports. It will also make the reports a lot shorter and easier to manage in the future…J It’s certainly been an interesting trend to watch the increase in numbers over the years and thank you to all of you that have religiously sent in your records over all of that time. I would still encourage you to post your sightings of them on the various Telegram/WhatsApp groups as there would still be people interested in seeing them, but I won’t be including them in the formal rarity newsletters anymore.

A number of people have also asked if I would rather do the updates to the various Listing Clubs hosted on www.zestforbirds.co.za after the Flock to Marion trip as many are obviously hoping to add a few lifers in Southern African waters as the trip heads out from Cape Town and, later, returns back to Durban. So, I am going to delay those updates until early February after the Flock to Marion trip. You have a few more weeks to head out and find a few more birds to add to your totals for the various listing clubs now. Please can everyone try and get me their latest updates by 4 February then and I will then get to work on those updates.

Here’s looking forward to a rarity-filled 2022…J

Kind regards

Trevor