Re: project suitability question

Don Smeller

Sep 13, 2016, 11:38:43 PM9/13/16
to Craig, 10BitWorks
I can help you with that on a Thursday night.  But you don’t need to drive into town to use power tools.
In a former life, I was an electrician.  I often needed to cut pipe that was laying in a muddy trench.  A piece of nylon string will make a neat clean straight cut. In 30 seconds, really.  It’s amazing!!

imgres.jpg
Don

On Sep 12, 2016, at 11:51 AM, Craig <sargo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey,

I needed to cut 4" diameter pvc pipe in half.
What would be the best time to do this at the space, as need to set up a gib to put pipe in to stabalize for saw cut?
Guess could setup a table saw jib to do the same. (smaller than using a full table at the space.

Thanks,
Craig

Craig

Sep 14, 2016, 7:30:02 AM9/14/16
to 10BitWorks
Yeah, but not a circular cut to get two 3 ft pieces of pvc pipe; but a cut(s) down the entire 6ft length of pipe resulting in two half-round 6ft pieces.
Not a 30 second deal, need a jib to stabilize circular hand saw.
?? The plumbers version of splitting hairs. ??

Umm.... perhaps a jib to keep the pipe centered on band saw blade might be the better way to go.
The band saw blade jib would allow one to just push the pipe through blade and split the pipe in one pass.
The saw clearance would allow for cutting through both 4" pipe and 8" pipe in a single pass!

Thanks,
Craig

Don Smeller

Sep 16, 2016, 7:15:08 AM9/16/16
to 10BitWorks
Jig, the word is “jig” not jib.  http://lumberjocks.com/topics/58673  Suggest you read this article

Craig

Sep 16, 2016, 12:47:03 PM9/16/16
to 10BitWorks

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 6:15:08 AM UTC-5, Don Smeller wrote:
Jig, the word is “jig” not jib.
Election year -- to much jib-jab. ;)

 http://lumberjocks.com/topics/58673  Suggest you read this article
Did -- working on jig setup.

Thanks,
Craig

john vanhoozer

Sep 17, 2016, 11:44:36 AM9/17/16
to 10BitWorks
Yah know... this is just for you to maybe get an idea but over on the jewelers station there's a jig that can be used to cut links for chain mail armor - and other things.  You put a tightly wrapped spool of steel wire on a mandrel, then somehow use the jig to cut through the pieces that will become the links using a dremel.

Seems that you could look at it and scale that up to cut using either a jigsaw or a (my favorite) small circular saw.  Make one pass on one side, then rotate 180 and cut again.

I'll be in this afternoon and get a picture of the jig/jib :) and post it here, but I'm not the expert on it.

Craig

Sep 17, 2016, 2:52:08 PM9/17/16
to 10BitWorks
Parametric parameters for concept call for 4" or 8" arc, so I'd need the equivalent of 4" or 8" metal pipe -- haven't been trained on cutting torch, so cutting 4" or 8" is a bit quicker. ;)