Ouch

Mike Garis

Nov 16, 2017, 12:14:38 AM11/16/17
to 10BitWorks

Chris Hardee

Nov 16, 2017, 1:33:04 AM11/16/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Mike Garis
That's unfortunate, I've met some of the techshop people at makerfaires and even did a robotics class for one when I was doing the Geekbus thing. Nice people. I don't think a for-profit makerspace ever made sense though, any more so than a for-profit library would.

Chris Hardee
10BitWorks
San Antonio Hackerspace

john vanhoozer

Nov 16, 2017, 12:21:18 PM11/16/17
to 10BitWorks
Wow!

I have to assume that some locations were eating up profits.  Not to mention the management.

This is  disheartening.  I thought that the Austin Location would be a big draw.

I can't get the makezine article to load in chrome, but here's another good article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2017/11/15/techshop-to-declare-bankruptcy-shuts-down-suddenly.html

john vanhoozer

Nov 17, 2017, 2:39:36 PM11/17/17
to 10BitWorks
I understand the logic you present.  But there is now a middle ground that makes a bit more sense is very new here in Texas:   Public Benefit Corporations (lgt-> Tx Secretary of State)

These only became available in September of this year and are meant to bridge Non-profits and For-Profit.  Essentially, it is just like a C corp, but the organization has a stated obligation to some social need above those of investors.  One of the raging problems with corporate america these days in an old idea, made popular in the late 70's, that the investors come before all, even the good of the company.  They need to be a part of the equation, but take a back seat to social needs.