OWN winners in Women's Division: 2016 to 2021?

1 view

Marlise Richter

Sep 22, 2022, 10:35:15 AM9/22/22
to sa-disc...@googlegroups.com, Safda Secretary

Hi peeps

SAFDA is updating the OWN Women's Division trophy and would like to capture all the teams that won at OWN each year.

Can people help with

2016:
2017:
2018:
2019:
2020:
2021:  Maties (held in Makhanda)

What we have so far:

  • 1998: South Africa fielded a female player in their open team at Worlds in 1998 (Kiersten Stead)
  • 2002: SA Nationals played with 1 woman per squad rule
  • 2004 - In Cape Town, friendly agreement to include women at pickup
  • 2005 - co-ed league started in CPT - one at most on the line, not enforced?; efforts to recruit; co-ed exhibition games at Bergvliet high school and Clifton beach (with Aca Joe) to encourage interest. Played 3 women on the line at Bergvliet (?) and 2 women (out of 5) on the line for beach game.
  • ·  2006: Nationals Wynberg - playing 1 female per line (and if no females, would play 6 men); Woman on the board of SAFDA (secretary); first attempt at women's only practices in CPT
  • ·  2007 (Nationals Wynberg) - playing 1 female per line
  • ·  2008 (Nationals Bergvliet) - increased to 2 females per line if both teams could match  [in 2008 Disc-functional of CT loaned 1 of their 3 women to Long Donkeys of PMB to avoid them playing with 6 players for the tournament which they had to do for their first game of the tournament against Disc Doctors of CT. Although Donkeys had some ladies playing in PMB, none could make the trip. It was a win for both teams as the Disc-functional ladies wanted playing time :-) and most teams were only fielding 1 woman a point even though there was the option for 2. - Sam}
  • ·  2009 RockNationals (Sandton) – compulsory 2 females per line
  • ·  2010 (Nationals Bergvliet)-  2 females per line
  • ·  2010 Roctober - 2 females per line// first time we had an organised ladies game - on the Saturday evening after games: Jhb/Dbn vs CT (5-a-side?)
  • 2011 (Nationals at Pirates) - 2 females per line// mini ladies tournament (5-a-side?) held on the Saturday morning Jhb vs Mozambique vs CT before tournament started
  • ·  2011- Cape Town had Wynberg Women's Training/League
  • ·  2012 (Nationals Villagers) - 2 females per line// female exhibition game on the Saturday evening Various provinces vs CT (7-a-side)
  • ·  March 2012 - First female Ultimate clinic and hat tourney held at Villagers
  • ·  2013 (Nationals East London) - 2 females per line// ladies game on the Friday night "North vs South" (7-a-side).  SAFDA policy voted in to progressively increase number of female players to allign with WFDF Gender rule
  • ·  2013 Roctober - ladies game on the Sat evening Jhb/Moz vs CT (7-a-side). During the tournament we played the new SAFDA rule: "2 ladies per line minimum.  The Team on Offensive will have the option of playing 3 ladies, which the Defence Team will have to match, or play one player short."
  • ·  First Women's/Open Nationals Dec 2013 (Villagers)  2 CT teams and 1 Jhb - Trophy taken by Huck Off
  • ·  2014 (Mixed Nationals Rondebosch) - playing new SAFDA rule: "3 ladies per line minimum at all times. If one team cannot field 3 ladies, they will have to play one or two players short."
  • ·  2nd Women's/Open Nationals July 2014 - Westville - 1 CT team, 1 Jhb team, 1 PMB and 1 Durban - Trophy taken by Huck Off
  • ·  2015 – SA entered a women’s team to enter the World Beach Champs in Dubai but unfortunately had to withdraw because of injuries and lack of numbers.
  • 3rd Women's Open's Nationals Aug 2015 (Gardens Tech) - Trophy taken by
    TnT
  • ·  2015 – SAFDA approves a Women’s bid for World Championships in London in 2016

Dana Glennie

Sep 22, 2022, 10:38:47 AM9/22/22
to marlise...@gmail.com, sa-disc...@googlegroups.com, Safda Secretary
Hey Marlise!

Thanks a bunch!

I’ve added in 2018 and 2019.

On 22 Sep 2022, at 16:35, Marlise Richter <marlise...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi peeps

SAFDA is updating the OWN Women's Division trophy and would like to capture all the teams that won at OWN each year.

Can people help with

2016:
2017:
2018: UCT BenGals (hosted by Wits in JHB)
2019: WC Wildflowers (hosted by Donkeys in the Midlands)
2020: N/A (Covid)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SA Disc Ladies" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-disc-ladies/CANd6oBGJLu%3DnJ2MuMGej9LL6AMqPfwq%3DNMyqq0-Oi75OtbjPyA%40mail.gmail.com.

Nicholas Zaloumis

Sep 22, 2022, 5:34:09 PM9/22/22
to danag...@gmail.com, marlise...@gmail.com, sa-disc...@googlegroups.com, Safda Secretary
Travis/SAFDA should have this information available for you to look at and confirm. I know SAFDA has kept all these records since 2014ish. So it would be worth getting the records sheet. I am not sure I can find it, but I will try.

I believe 2017 was Hot Sauce. Final Craft vs 'Hot Sauce/Huck Off'.

2016 I believe was CT Women (don't know if they had a name - just a mix of CT women came to play).

--
Nicholas Zaloumis
MSc in Plant Ecology

Dana Glennie

Sep 23, 2022, 6:36:33 AM9/23/22
to Petra Stadler, nickza...@gmail.com, marlise...@gmail.com, sa-disc...@googlegroups.com, Safda Secretary

Found the SAFDA results link! Here it is for future reference. 😊 Thank you all!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lvOqOATKYPmI0rWOHEVZ0o5xwnGFwzY9m9c2GIe01kc/edit?usp=sharing

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sep 29, 2022, 10:27:02 AM9/29/22
to marlise...@gmail.com, sa-disc...@googlegroups.com, Safda Secretary
I've seen you have come right, but I have a more comprehensive link here with all the SA information on it. If you notice anything that can be added to or needs updating, please let me know:

Kind Regards
Travis Myburgh

SAFDA Chair 2022