FYI: Growth in no of female athletes and women's division following gender rule policy changes in South Africa

Marlise Richter

May 22, 2016, 7:49:39 AM5/22/16
to sa-disc...@googlegroups.com, safda-exec, safda-c...@googlegroups.com
Dear Peeps

I serve on the World Flying Disc Federation "Women in Sport Commission" and sent them this report below on the development of female players in South Africa.

I am forwarding FYI.

:-)
May 22, 2016, 3:03:27 PM5/22/16
to Marlise Richter, sa-disc...@googlegroups.com, safda-exec, safda-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for compiling and sharing, Marlise.

This is well framed--probably worth revisiting and sharing ahead of the next re-vote on WFDF gender rules, for current SAFDA peeps.

Katie Huston

Anna Coussens

May 22, 2016, 5:43:04 PM5/22/16
to Katie Huston, Marlise Richter, sa-disc...@googlegroups.com, safda-exec, safda-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Marlise it's great to see how a policy change can really have impact!

I also wonder regarding the last point ? I thought we are not there yet? Isn't this what was voted against, even though it was proposed in 2013?

 All SAFDA-sanctioned events from 2015 onwards: WFDF Mixed Division sections apply

Marlise Richter

May 23, 2016, 3:11:11 AM5/23/16
to Anna Coussens, Katie Huston, sa-disc...@googlegroups.com, safda-exec, safda-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anna - you make an important point.

According to the AGM vote in 2013 we should be playing WFDF gender rules in all national tourneys.
SAFDA decided to put this to a club vote this year and I think by a slim margin, it was voted to play 3 women only
​ in 2016/2017​
.  At the AGM in April when this decision was announced, there was an appeal from the floor that clubs re-think this regressive approach, and that Ultimate in mixed games has to be gender equal from the start. This was loudly supported, and it will be voted on again next year.

I think in view of the data presented, the vote outcome is unfortunate, but it teaches us the need to be vigilant about policy processes and to lobby to make people aware of the implications of a vote

Let's ensure that when this comes to a vote again in 2017 that we rally everyone to engage with the implications, and to stand strong in our resolve that clubs have to develop along male and female lines, and that we should be playing to International standards!
​ 🌻​

:-)

Lorita Jacobs

May 23, 2016, 3:12:27 AM5/23/16