fyi - Some cool links

1 view

Marlise Richter

May 21, 2017, 4:16:54 PM5/21/17
to sa-disc...@googlegroups.com
Dear peeps

I hope everyone is keeping well and gearing up for Open and Women's Nationals in August?

I am sharing some cool links that we circulated on the CT women's mailing list (together with some notes of a Frisbee, Food and Feminism event that we had to discuss how we could support and develop women Ultimate players), in case they are of interest.

:-)

Fulcrum is an independent ultimate media company that decided to only film the Women's division at US Club Nationals, the most competitive ultimate tournament of the year.
This is the only crowd funding campaign I have ever donated to. I don't like urging people to donate to anything (so I won't), let alone a wacky on-line media company that you've never heard of. But I personally love watching ultimate, Fulcrum's ideals and them getting off their asses and doing something about it.

Interview with three of the most accomplished Women's players
Qxhna Titcomb, who founded and ran the All-Star Tour, and two others were interviewed about the current state of GEquity in ultimate.
I'd like to point out especially Leila Tunnell's story starting at the 24min mark. My fellow male athletes need to listen to this.

Ben Feng is a pro player in his mid-twenties, so undoubtedly at the top of the game right now. Yet he decided to retire from playing early to devote his time to developing youth and GEquity.

Girls in the Mix
Ren Caldwell is a well-known functional performance training coach. She tackles three key issues and gives concrete strategies to resolve them.

This was written to accompany a movement coming from elite players that put pressure on the USAU because their media coverage was biased (which has changed since).

A look at the social background of throwing mechanics.

It's aimed at increasing women's participation to even out the 30/70 disparity in USAU's membership.

An account of ultimate's male-bias from one of the most respected ultimate minds and dedicated women's coaches.