Fwd: [CT Ultimate] Fwd: [SAFDA] Re: An Open Letter to South African Ultimate

Marlise Richter

Dec 16, 2016, 9:53:22 AM12/16/16
to sa-disc...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Robin Willis <rwil...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 at 2:29 PM
Subject: [SAFDA] Re: An Open Letter to South African Ultimate
To: SAFDA CHAIR <safda...@gmail.com>
Cc: SafDisc <saf...@googlegroups.com>, safda-exec <safda...@googlegroups.com>, safda-committee@googlegroups.com <safda-committee@googlegroups.com>

Dear South African Ultimate,

SAFDA Exec addressed their letter to me personally.  However, I strongly believe that it should

have been addressed to everyone in our community.  This conversation is not about me.  It is about us.  And I am glad we are finally having this

conversation openly.  Admittedly, this

conversation has been happening in local pockets recently, but not at a

national level.  With so much growth and development

in our community over the last couple of years, we are ready to “put our money

where our mouth is” and strive for equity and equality in every level of our

sport.

To SAFDA Exec, I am happy that my letter has been a catalyst

for public conversation.  Open, honest

conversation is necessary to the growth of our sport.  The new initiatives that SAFDA is generating

are exciting and will hopefully yield tangible results.  In your letter, you mentioned asking “what

do we want South African ultimate to look like in five years’ time?”  Does SAFDA have a five-year plan?  If not, I suggest that this document be

created (ideally with community input) so that the whole community has a clear

understanding of where we would like our community to go and how we get there.  As you have alluded to in your letter, and as

I know from working on SAFDA for the last 18 months, managing South African

Ultimate is hard work done exclusively by volunteers.  For change and transformation to occur, SAFDA

needs assistance, allies, and community involvement.

To the entire South African Ultimate community:  South African Ultimate gave each and every

one of us something.  Perhaps Ultimate

gave you friendships or a group of people to call your family.  Perhaps Ultimate gave you fitness or the

ability to play competitive sport at a local, national, or international level.

 Perhaps Ultimate gave you the

opportunity to be a leader and challenge and grow yourself as an individual.   Perhaps Ultimate gave you a more defined understanding

of spirit, of respect, of sportsmanship that you have applied in your personal

life.  Whatever Ultimate gave you, it was

something.  And it is time for us all to give back.

Our responsibility as Ultimate players is not just to better

ourselves in our sport, but to lift up and support others so that we all can

thrive.  As Trent Simmons said in the Facebook

thread
, Ultimate was started by suburban white kids, who passed the game on

to suburban white kids in Ivy league Schools, some of whom became expats and

shared the game around the world (this is my summary, Trent said this much more

eloquently).  This might be the origin

story of Ultimate, but it does not have to be the future story of

Ultimate.  Not in South Africa.  We have the opportunity to build the

community that we want to build.  So far,

the community that we have built in SA has been representative of the world

that Trent describes.  Let’s change

that.  Let us create an Ultimate

community that represents our Rainbow Nation.

How?  Here are some

suggestions and ways to get invovled:

1.

I propose a SAFDA mandate that every individual

who is selected to represent South Africa on the international stage be

required to commit a minimum of 3 hours to coaching and developing players from

underrepresented communities and / or schools.

a.

For those of us who represented South Africa in

London in 2016, I request that we all make the same commitment retroactively.

b.

This initiative would:

i.
Spread

Ultimate knowledge and skills around the country and grow the sport nationwide.

ii.
Allow

all Worlds players—and namely our Bafazi Bafazi and Wild Dog women—to gain

coaching and leadership experience, thus growing our female leaders.

2.

I ask all members of our community to get

involved with the Team E.R.I.C. initiative, organized by Jay Hart, SAFDA Vice

Chair.  Involvement can include administrative

assistance, coaching sessions at schools, helping manage publicity for events, sponsoring

coaches’ travel costs to more remote schools, and coordinating competitive tournaments

for schools, among other things!

a.

For information and to get involved, email Jay

at safd...@gmail.com.

3.

Earlier this year, I secured 25,000 small, green

discs from Avios / Kulula.com.  While

these discs are not appropriate for competitive play, they are perfect for

young people learning our sport.  Over

10,000 discs have not yet been distributed.

Again, I call on members of the SA Ultimate community to locate homes

for these discs—schools, church groups, orphanages, community centres, etc—and to

help facilitate Ultimate programs in these areas.

a.

Apply for a SAFDA Development Grant in 2017 to

further grow your project / community.

b.

If you are unable to locate a project, please

consider monetary donations to assist with the transportation of boxes to

communities outside of Gauteng.

c.

Email safda.de...@gmail.com to

assist and get involved.

4.

I ask all members to donate something to a

developing Ultimate community this holiday season: a disc, a hat, an hour of

your time.

a.

Follow the lead of Ultitude who is hosting a

donation drive at Pirates Sports Club on Saturday.  Organize something within your community and

then share the gift of Ultimate to a developing community in your area.

b.

Donate to the Bafazi Development Fund: an

incredible initiative by the South African women’s ultimate community to support

women’s ultimate in South Africa by increasing the diversity (socio-economic

and racial) of female ultimate players, increasing participation of female

ultimate players, and by developing female athletes and coaches.

i.
For

more information or to contribute, please email bafazile...@gmail.com.

c.

Assist a developing community with any of the

following: (Taken from Xolani’s

article
: if you have not read this already, please do!)

i.
Ultimate

Frisbee rules workshops

ii.
Technical

support (drills, strategy, skills clinic)

iii.
Resources

(discs, cones, kit)

iv.
Financial

assistance to get to tournaments or pick-up games

v.
Assistance

in hosting clinics for recruitment drives

vi.
Digital

assistance (social media, photos, etc)

d.

Set up a local or national fundraising project

whereby willing members of the Ultimate community can donate R50 (or more) per

month towards helping underprivileged players attend national or international

tournaments.  (Again, an idea taken from Xolani’s

article
)

5.

Actively engage in the conversation:

a.

Join the Google Group to create plans to improve

diversity, inclusion and representation in SA Ultimate.  Email travis....@gmail.com.

b.

Join SAFDA’s Development Team.  Email safda...@googlegroups.com.

c.

Engage your local community. Ask these

questions, actively listen to the answers, and seek to create positive change

in your community: (from SAFDA

Exec’ email
)

i.
White players need to ask, "Is our team truly a

welcoming space for people of colour?"

ii.
Male players need to ask, "What more can we do to

develop our women as players, coaches and leaders?"

iii.
Straight players need to ask, "Is this a safe space

for players who are queer?"

This is not a conversation where we can be passive.  Transformation will not just magically

happen. If this is our vision—a South African ultimate scene that represents the diversity of our

nation at every level, and a community that is inclusive and welcoming to all
—then

we all
must work, and work

hard, for it.  We owe it to each and

every member of our community to do so.  It is worth it.

Sincerely,

Robin Willis

Former SAFDA Development Manager

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM, SAFDA CHAIR <safda...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear

Robin,

Thank you

for your letter.

As SAFDA,

we share the conviction that developing female players and players of colour is

absolutely critical. We commend the members of our community, including

yourself, who are already working hard to grow ultimate in places like Orange

Farm, Soweto and Zithulele; to expose schoolchildren to the sport; and to

develop female players, coaches and leaders.

We also

recognize that there is much more work to be done.

Yes,

South Africa does not have enough female coaches – and those we have are

overextended and susceptible to burnout. Two women were nominated to coach the

Wild Dogs, but both declined to apply. This highlights the critical need to

develop more female coaches in South Africa. SAFDA began investing in this by

sending two of our top coaches (yourself and Jon Aronson) to UltAcademy this

year, to gain skills that will be used to develop more coaches across the

country. We are confident these seeds will bear fruit in the New Year, and we

welcome further ideas to identify, support and develop female coaches.

Yes, the

WUGC 2016 squads were not fully representative of the South African ultimate

community, nor does our community as a whole represent the diversity of South

Africa’s athletic talent. Without government or corporate sponsorship,

international campaigns are almost exclusively self-funded by players.

Unfortunately, in 2016, this significantly narrowed the pool of players who

chose to try out and managed to attend – not just to almost exclusively white

players, but also largely to older, employed players and players from urban

hubs, despite the sizable and talented student population and the many growing

ultimate communities across the country.

As you’ve

pointed out, the 2018 Wild Dogs campaign is one opportunity to actively work

towards including players of colour on the U24 squad and elevating women to

leadership roles. Discussions on how this can be tackled have been taking place

amongst the SAFDA committee and the Wild Dogs coaches. SAFDA trusts that our

volunteer coaches, who were selected through a competitive application process,

will look for potential as well as experience, and seek to elevate female

leadership within the squad.

Specifically, SAFDA

and the Wild Dogs leadership are planning to work towards a more diverse and

representative Wild Dogs 2018 squad by
:

1.     Seeking to identify players of

colour and women for the training squad who have the athletic ability and

potential to reach a high skill level, but who may not have benefited from

as much high-level coaching and exposure in the past as other players from more

established teams/communities.

2.     Having at least one observer

present at trials who is specifically looking for potential in players from

under-represented communities.

3.     Investing in the development of

those players over the training squad period.

4.     Reaching out to

local female coaches who can contribute to the Wild Dogs campaign.

5.     Considering potential to

contribute to development of South African ultimate as part of selection

criteria.

We

believe that taking these actions will ensure that the 2018 Wild Dogs squad is

more representative of our community.

We have also established a Google Group to discuss

short-, medium- and long-term plans to improve diversity, inclusion and

representation in SA Ultimate
via email. The group's immediate goal is

to discuss this in relation to the 2018 Wild Dogs campaign, including funding

for players from a disadvantaged socio-economic background who are selected for

the training squad. It also intends to be a space for broader brainstorming and

action. To join this group, please email travis....@gmail.com.

Beyond

that: true transformation is not just about “looking good” to the world. It’s

about building a different world, from the ground up. As those who are involved

in development know well, there are other critical opportunities we need to

seize as a community to ensure that future worlds squads are more

representative.

We

believe that this is a vision shared by all members of our community: a South

African ultimate scene that represents the diversity of our nation at every

level, and a community that is inclusive and welcoming to all.

To get

there, we need to ask, “What do we want South African ultimate to look like in

five years’ time?” and work backwards.

We need

more administrative capacity within SAFDA and regional bodies, to pursue formal

recognition from provincial and national government and relevant sporting

bodies, so we’re better able to access funding for schools development and

transformation.

We need

more conversations like these - at the national level, and in our own teams and

spaces. They are going to be messy. We will have to hear things that are hard.

White players need to ask, "Is our team truly a welcoming space for people

of colour?" Male players need to ask, "What more can we do to develop

our women as players, coaches and leaders?" Straight

players need to ask, "Is this a safe space for players who are

queer?" We need to be honest; to listen to one another with compassion and

humility; to be willing to challenge our assumptions and deeply-held beliefs

and put ourselves in others’ shoes.

And quite

frankly – we need people to pitch in. If we are going to accomplish this

vision, we need more hands.

So here

is SAFDA's appeal to the SA Ultimate Community: if you're passionate about this

issue or believe you have something to contribute, we invite you to step up.

Join SAFDA's Development Team and help us build a more inclusive and

representative community on all fronts. Sign up for the email list (email travis.myburgh@gmail.com)

and get actively involved in the conversation and the action. And keep up and

grow the good work happening at a local level.

Thank you

for helping spark this critical conversation. Let's keep it going.

Sincerely,

SAFDA

Executive Team

Dale

Franklin - Chair

Jay Hart

- Vice Chair

Katie

Huston - Co-Treasurer

Nick

Zaloumis - Co-Treasurer

Che

Makanjee - Secretary

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Robin Willis <rwil...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear South African Ultimate,

As the former Development Manager

for SAFDA, I have had the distinct privilege of being involved in conversations

and projects aimed to grow our sport nationwide.  In this past two years, we have seen

incredible growth in our sport, both in established Ultimate communities and in

new, developing communities.  SA Ultimate

is now diversifying at an unprecedented rate, with more and more female players

and players of colour joining our community weekly.  This is, frankly, wonderful and speaks to the

hard work and dedication of leaders around the country to recruit players and

provide resources to new communities.

However, as South Africa becomes

more and more involved in the world Ultimate community, we must pause and

assess how the world sees us, as well as how we would like to be viewed.

In 2016, South Africa sent three

teams to Worlds.  While the emergence of

our first Women’s and first Master’s team on the international stage is

remarkable, it is also notable that South Africa, a national of incredible diversity,

did not send a single player of colour to Worlds in 2016.  This is, in all honesty, troubling.  While the 2016 Worlds campaign is behind us,

the Wild Dogs’ 2018 campaign is before us and we, as a nation, have a new

opportunity to define our image.

I strongly urge the coaching

staff of the Wild Dogs to carefully consider the future of our sport in their

selection decisions.  I encourage coaches

to look not only at the skills of individual players now, but to imagine the

growth and potential in players over the course of the next year.  I urge them to imagine what potential there is

in selecting players from all over South Africa, from all communities.  Imagine the Wild Dogs coming back from their

Worlds campaign and spreading their newfound knowledge not only in Cape Town

and Johannesburg, but also in Orange Farm, Soweto, and Zithulele.  Worlds campaigns are an opportunity not only

to compete at the international level, but also to grow and develop players

from all around our great and diverse nation.

With so many incredible players of colour in South Africa, it is

embarrassing to take another all-white squad to Worlds.

Additionally, although the

coaching staff chosen to lead the Wild Dogs in their 2018 campaign is comprised

of skilled coaches and leaders, it is deeply troubling that none of these

leaders of this Mixed Ultimate team are women.

In South Africa, we have a wealth of fantastic female players and

coaches.  Why are they not represented on

this staff?  It is not sufficient to say,

“they did not apply.”  How has SAFDA

targeted female ultimate players and sought to grow them as leaders?  To have a coaching squad of five men for a

mixed team of men and women is, in all honesty, appalling.

The Wild Dogs campaign is not

only about winning games; it is about representing our country.  How do we, as the South African Ultimate

community, want to be viewed?  I urge the

members of our community to join me in putting pressure on SAFDA and the Wild

Dogs’ coaches to ensure equity in our leadership and in our national teams.  Let us strive to ensure that our sport

represents our Rainbow Nation.

Sincerely,

Robin Willis

Former SAFDA Development Manager