Race, class and gender in SA Ultimate - let's brainstorm and get to work!

1 view

Marlise Richter

Dec 12, 2016, 3:33:33 PM12/12/16
to sa-disc...@googlegroups.com

Dear peeps

I am forwarding Robin’s courageous letter to the SA Disc mailing list in this email.  (I didn’t recall seeing an email about the selection of the Wild Dogs coaching squad but found it on Facebook here)

I would like to salute Robin for drafting such an eloquent appeal, and for articulating tactfully two very important challenges facing SA Ultimate at the moment:

i.) rapid transformation of the the people who play and lead Ultimate in terms of race and class; and

 ii.) ensuring female representation in all leadership structures.

Robin calls on all of us to work on these issues, and I think it is only right that we as a community come up with concrete suggestions on how to deal with these issues in a frank and constructive manner.

 I would like to suggest that we use this forum to brainstorm some recommendations that we can put forward to SAFDA and the SA Ultimate community on how to

1.)   ensure that the Wild Dogs campaign is executed in an equitable manner; and

2.)    Longer term strategies on making the sport we love more inclusive and welcoming to a cross-section of SA society

Please post your suggestions/comments here and we can then think of ways of drafting something for wider consultation.

I would like to add on a personal note that I have tremendous respect for the people selected to coach and manage the Wild Dogs squad, and for the people who volunteer to take up SAFDA leadership positions, and who invest large amounts of time and energy into our sport.  Few people are willing to take this on, and I would like to urge that our brainstorming relates to tackling structural problems, and are not on based on individuals or particularities.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Dec 13, 2016, 6:01:15 AM12/13/16
to Marlise Richter, sa-disc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marlise and all,

There's a lot of internal chatter going on within the Wild Dogs leadership team and SAFDA exec about this, and there are some good plans afoot (though ideas are also certainly welcome). Stay tuned!

In the meantime, Robin started a list on Facebook of what we can do in our own spaces.

“What can us ordinary players do in our club?” Hundreds of things, but here are a few:
1. Provide space for people to speak and then actively listen when they do.
2. Call out and address the microaggressions in your Ultimate communities (and your other communities!).
3. Donate your time, your money, your old cleats / jerseys / discs / gear to help facilitate Ultimate in growing communities.
Please add to this incomplete list. What can we do to create positive change?

This reminds me of the convo we had at the women's meeting at Nationals 2015 - about the actions men and women took to make women feel included and help them move into positions of leadership. Perhaps this is a good time to resurface and share those notes - what were the things that enabled and motivated women and made us feel welcome in the mixed ultimate community?

It also reminds me of a really excellent article Thulie recently shared on Facebook. (Thanks Thulie!) I would have loved this article to have a few more concrete examples and suggestions, but I think it's a good starting point to think about what it means to build a more inclusive and diverse ultimate community.

"Gender equity is only one aspect of inclusion. And we cannot talk about gender, without also talking about race, class, and sexuality. We call this lens of looking at the world, this framework for solving problems, intersectionality. Think about it this way, the very notion of “inclusion,” can only exist with the practice of “exclusion.” We would not be able to fathom what it means to “include,” if we didn’t have a conceptual understanding of “exclude.”"

Katie

Katie Huston