S4A crashes on Ubuntu 18.04 64bit

marco...@googlemail.com

Aug 23, 2018, 8:56:00 AM8/23/18
to S4A Community Mail List
Hi everybody,

I downloaded latest stable S4A16.deb. The instructions in the FAQ seem
to be quite outdated for Ubuntu, since ia32-libs have been removed
years ago. Instead apt handles 32bit-dependencies of
local .deb-packages nicely nowadays. So I did:

$ sudo apt install ./S4A16.deb

This went fine so far and installed :386 packages. When running:

$ s4a

it simply crashes with:

could not find module vm-sound-pulse
Aborted (core dumped)

$ s4a -nosound

still crashes.

Doing

$ s4a_squeak_vm

complains about

could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
- check
that /usr/local/squeak-3.10-4/lib/squeak/3.10-4/vm-display-X11.so
exists, or
- use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
- remove DISPLAY from your environment.
Abgebrochen (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

Doesn't matter if I use wayland or X11 display driver.

I could locate the display driver
under /usr/lib/s4a/Plugins/vm-display-X11.

But using

s4a_squeak_vm -plugins /usr/lib/s4a/Plugins/vm-display-X11

still crashes, removing DISPLAY has no effect either.

Is this a known bug and is there any workaround so far?

TNX in advance

fuhrm...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2019, 8:11:33 AM2/26/19
to S4A Community Mail List

I think the error message is misleading.

The first thing to check is the libraries which vm-display-X11 needs. If your vm-display-X11 is in /usr/lib/s4a/Plugins/ then try:

$ ldd /usr/lib/s4a/Plugins/* | grep "not found"

In my case (I was actually using Pharo on Windows WSL), it showed several "not found" libraries. Once I got them installed (in WSL it was 'sudo apt install mesa-utils'), I was able to launch the VM.

Mario P

Aug 24, 2022, 6:13:17 AM8/24/22
to S4A Community Mail List
In Ubuntu 22.04 (Mint 21)
I get an error: could not find module vm-display-X11. After that, it aborts.

$ ldd /usr/lib/s4a/Plugins/vm-display-X11
libSM.so.6 => not found
libICE.so.6 => not found

libsm6 is already installed (64bit version) so
looks like s4a needs the 32bit version of libsm6

$sudo apt-get install libsm6:i386

That command fixed both dependencies and solved my problem.