[ANNOUNCE] New S3QL pre-release available

Nikolaus Rath

May 17, 2023, 4:43:19 AM5/17/23
to s3...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have recently started working on S3QL again and am excited to announce
a pre-release of S3QL 5.0!

There's been a large number of internal cleanups, but the most important
change is that:

S3QL (finally!) no longer limits the compressed metadata size to 5 GB
because it no longer maintains entire filesystem metadata in a single
storage object.

Instead, the database file is distributed across multiple backend
objects with a block size configured at mkfs time. This means that S3QL
also no longer needs to upload the entire metadata object on unmount;
and there is no longer a size limit on the metadata.

It would be great if people could give this version a spin, but note
that there may still be bugs.

The pre-release is available for download from https://github.com/s3ql/s3ql/releases/tag/release-5.0.0-pre1

Best,
-Nikolaus

--
GPG Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F
signature.asc

dan...@jagszent.de

May 25, 2023, 12:50:48 PM5/25/23
to s3ql
> [...] It would be great if people could give this version a spin, but note that there may still be bugs. [...]

I finally got to build the 5.0.0 pre-release and tested it (including upgrading a 4.0.0 filesystem) with a Swift Backend (OVH; Keystone 3).

Everything I tested worked like expected! :-)

Marcin Ciesielski

Jul 6, 2023, 6:30:38 PM7/6/23
to s3ql
@Nikolaus