Cant mount or fsck filesystem

Rob Shaw

Feb 9, 2024, 12:38:09 PMFeb 9
to s3ql
Hello.

I hope someone can help me.

I have been using s3ql for quite a while without problems; however, after an unexpected server reboot, I can no longer mount my filesystem.

When I try to mount, I get;
 ERROR: Backend reports that fs is still mounted elsewhere, aborting.

I have had this before, and an fsck normally fixes things.

after running an fsck i get;

ERROR: Refusing to overwrite existing file system! (use `s3qladm clear` to delete)

I have searched around, and I have got nowhere.

Looking for any suggestions to try.

Thanks in advance.

Nikolaus Rath

Feb 9, 2024, 3:16:07 PMFeb 9
to s3...@googlegroups.com
Rob Shaw <shawve...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I hope someone can help me.
>
> I have been using s3ql for quite a while without problems; however, after
> an unexpected server reboot, I can no longer mount my filesystem.
>
> When I try to mount, I get;
> * ERROR: Backend reports that fs is still mounted elsewhere, abortin*g.
>
> I have had this before, and an fsck normally fixes things.
>
> after running an fsck i get;

What was the output of fsck? Did it work?

> *ERROR: Refusing to overwrite existing file system! (use `s3qladm clear` to
> delete) *

This sounds like you're trying to recreate the filesystem with
mkfs.s3ql. Are you sure this is what you want to do?

Best,
-Nikolaus

Rob Shaw

Feb 9, 2024, 3:30:23 PMFeb 9
to s3ql
I want to mount the files on the host again.

# mkfs.s3ql --authfile=/data/s3ql-authinfo --cachedir=/data/.s3ql s3c://xxxxxxxxxxx

Before using S3QL, make sure to read the user's guide, especially
the 'Important Rules to Avoid Losing Data' section.

ERROR: Refusing to overwrite existing file system! (use `s3qladm clear` to delete)

This is the command and response.

Nikolaus Rath

Feb 10, 2024, 5:16:21 AMFeb 10
to s3...@googlegroups.com
Rob Shaw <shawve...@gmail.com> writes:

> I want to mount the files on the host again.
>
> # mkfs.s3ql --authfile=/data/s3ql-authinfo --cachedir=/data/.s3ql
> s3c://xxxxxxxxxxx

mkfs.s3ql does not mount the filesystem, it creates it. Please take a
look at https://www.rath.org/s3ql-docs/mkfs.html and https://www.rath.org/s3ql-docs/mount.html.

Best,
-Nikolaus

Rob Shaw

Feb 10, 2024, 5:20:33 AMFeb 10
to s3ql
Thanks. I understand.

However when I try to mount I get;

 ERROR: Backend reports that fs is still mounted elsewhere, aborting.

I'm 100% sure that is not the case, so that is why i'm trying to fsck.

Thanks

Nikolaus Rath

Feb 10, 2024, 5:41:07 AMFeb 10
to noreply-spamdigest via s3ql
Hi Rob,

A: Because it confuses the reader.
Q: Why?
A: No.
Q: Should I write my response above the quoted reply?

..so please quote properly, as I'm doing in the rest of this mail:

On Saturday 10 February 2024 at 10:16:21 UTC Nikolaus Rath wrote:
Rob Shaw <shawve...@gmail.com> writes:

> I want to mount the files on the host again.
>
> # mkfs.s3ql --authfile=/data/s3ql-authinfo --cachedir=/data/.s3ql
> s3c://xxxxxxxxxxx

mkfs.s3ql does not mount the filesystem, it creates it. Please take a
Thanks. I understand.

However when I try to mount I get;

 ERROR: Backend reports that fs is still mounted elsewhere, aborting.

I'm 100% sure that is not the case, so that is why i'm trying to fsck.

Yep. And you still haven't provided the output that you get when you run fsck.s3ql. So there's not much anyone can do to help you.

Best,
-Nikolaus