[ANNOUNCE] Last S3QL release (4.0.0)

Nikolaus Rath

Jun 10, 2022, 4:53:59 AM6/10/22
to s3...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I am pleased, but also somewhat saddened to announce what is probably
going to be the last release of S3QL for some time to come, version 4.0.0.

This will be the last S3QL release from me. Other things have taken
priority in my life, so I no longer have enough time and interest to
work on S3QL. For now, please consider S3QL to be unmaintained and
undeveloped. Github issue tracking and pull reuests have therefore been
disabled. This mailing list continuens to be available for use.

If you would like to take over this project, you are welcome to do
so. Please fork it and develop the fork for a while. Once there has been
6 months of reasonable activity, please contact Niko...@rath.org and
I'll be happy to give you ownership of this repository or replace with a
pointer to the fork.

From the changelog:

2022-06-10, S3QL 4.0.0

* The internal file system revision has changed. File systems created with this version
of S3QL are NOT COMPATIBLE with prior S3QL versions.

Existing file systems must be upgraded before they can be used with current
S3QL versions. This procedure is NOT REVERSIBLE.

To update an existing file system, use the `s3qladm upgrade` command. This upgrade
process updates only the metadata tables and should not take more than a few minutes.

* Smaller database size and improved performance on metadata operations.

S3QL was designed to be able to store multiple blocks in the same backend
object. However, this feature was never implemented. The necessary abstraction layer
has now been removed, which should increase performance and reduce database size.

* Workarounds for bugs in sqlite 3.38.0 – 3.38.4.

Sqlite 3.38 introduced bloom filter optimizations. The first patch releases of sqlite 3.38
had some bugs that prevented fsck.s3ql from running properly and made it corrupt the database.

* Fix handling of rate-limits and responses without Content-Type header

Some Non-Amazon S3 providers return HTTP 429 when rate-limiting.
Additionally, error responses may occasionally come without a Content-Type header.
These are now handled, no longer causing file system crashes.

The following people have contributed code to this release:

Daniel Jagszent <dan...@jagszent.de>
Jeremy Kescher <jer...@kescher.at>
Nikolaus Rath <Niko...@rath.org>
r0ps3c <rudol...@faex.net>

(The full list of contributors is available in the AUTHORS file).

The release is available for download from
https://github.com/s3ql/s3ql/releases

the issue tracker (https://github.com/s3ql/s3ql/issues).

Best,
-Nikolaus

--
GPG Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F

signature.asc

Esteban Fonseca

Jun 10, 2022, 12:10:24 PM6/10/22
to s3...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nikolaus,

I want to thank you for your work with S3QL, it served the company where I work very well for JetBackup daily backups into S3 for over 3 years, on a 90+ hosting servers environment until JetBackup5 was released.

All the best in your future projects,
Esteban.