backblaze b2 backend

Paul Harris

Nov 28, 2023, 9:24:51 AM11/28/23
to s3ql
Hi all,

I'm confused why more people don't use backblaze's b2 ?
It seems cheaper than AWS"s S3 ...

I see the b2 backend isn't being tested.
How are the others being tested?
You can get a b2 account with 10GB for free, that can surely be used for testing?

I see there are automated tests for PRs run for s3ql.
There was mention of a "server for mock tests needed", I'm wondering what exactly that would entail.

This project looks really sweet.
Definitely runs better than s3fs in my situation.
(I gave that a try but I had problems with bind-mount and writing from an LXC).

Anyway, I made a PR that fixes a problem I had with b2.

Question: how can I set up s3c backend for b2?
I thought I'd run a test for that.

Thanks
Paul

Georg Pfuetzenreuter

Nov 28, 2023, 10:05:07 AM11/28/23
to s3...@googlegroups.com

On 11/28/23 15:24, Paul Harris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm confused why more people don't use backblaze's b2 ?
> It seems cheaper than AWS"s S3 ...

I can also recommend checking Wasabi's S3 offering.

> I see the b2 backend isn't being tested.
> How are the others being tested?
> You can get a b2 account with 10GB for free, that can surely be used for
> testing?
>
> I see there are automated tests for PRs run for s3ql.
> There was mention of a "server for mock tests needed", I'm wondering
> what exactly that would entail.
>
> This project looks really sweet.
> Definitely runs better than s3fs in my situation.
> (I gave that a try but I had problems with bind-mount and writing from
> an LXC).
>
> Anyway, I made a PR that fixes a problem I had with b2.
> https://github.com/s3ql/s3ql/pull/337
>
> Question: how can I set up s3c backend for b2?
> I thought I'd run a test for that.
>
> Thanks
> Paul
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/s3ql/104d4bc3-ba88-4f52-b0da-7f44196284c8n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/s3ql/104d4bc3-ba88-4f52-b0da-7f44196284c8n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Paul Harris

Nov 28, 2023, 10:07:31 AM11/28/23
to Georg Pfuetzenreuter, s3...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 at 23:05, 'Georg Pfuetzenreuter' via s3ql <s3...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

On 11/28/23 15:24, Paul Harris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm confused why more people don't use backblaze's b2 ?
> It seems cheaper than AWS"s S3 ...

I can also recommend checking Wasabi's S3 offering.

I looked at that, it looks really good too.

I just didn't like the uncertain egress/download caps.
Would prefer to pay a known potential amount rather than annoy them and have them disable my account, however unlikely that could be.

Henry Wertz

Nov 28, 2023, 12:04:57 PM11/28/23
to s3ql
I mean, not automated but I make HEAVY use of the local backend so I can guarantee you that one is pretty solid.  (Including forgetting to unmount it a few times when I shut the computer off, a couple power outages (or letting battery run dead in the case of a laptop), I have one on a portable USB drive where I had the USB cable start popping out now and then for a while (although I got a "tighter" cable and it's fine now), and even one disk where I started getting bad sectors.  I can assure from both looking at the database design, and personal experience with flakey hardware, the design is VERY failsafe and the fsck.s3ql is VERY robust about recovering from issues.

I found it to be effectively just as safe as straight ext4 -- I mean, the drive that spontaneously got bad sectors, I lost one or two files that had s3ql blocks stored on bad sectors (just as I would with ext4); if I was writing to a s3ql when the power went out, maybe I'd lose the last couple seconds of stuff I'd written (just as would happen with ext4.)   A few times I had things drop at the wrong moment and had to use the "sqlite3 broken.db ".recover" | sqlite3 new.db" method to recover the database (in local cache, it didn't back up a bad database to storage) before I could run fsck.s3ql, but still lost nothing but the last couple seconds of data.

In addition, it regularly backs up the database so even if the ".recover" process had failed I would have had a good copy of the database from earlier in the day rather than a total loss.

Have a good day!
--Henry

Daniel Jagszent

Nov 28, 2023, 8:32:45 PM11/28/23
to s3ql
Hello Paul,

[...] see there are automated tests for PRs run for s3ql.
There was mention of a "server for mock tests needed", I'm wondering what exactly that would entail.
[...]
We have mock servers for the s3c and swift backend defined here:
https://github.com/s3ql/s3ql/blob/master/tests/mock_server.py

Only these get executed in the normal test suite. The Backblaze B2 backend would very much benefit from such a mock server but nobody came around to write one.

https://www.rath.org/s3ql-docs/installation.html#running-tests-requiring-remote-servers explains how you could run the test suite against the real Backblaze servers. The GitHub Actions do not run any such real-live tests.

Daniel Jagszent

Nov 28, 2023, 8:38:31 PM11/28/23
to s3ql
Hello Paul,

[...] Question: how can I set up s3c backend for b2?

I thought I'd run a test for that.
https://www.rath.org/s3ql-docs/backends.html#s3-compatible explains the connection string syntax.

The hostname to use (called endpoint) can be found here:
https://www.backblaze.com/docs/cloud-storage-call-the-s3-compatible-api

Paul Harris

Nov 28, 2023, 8:54:40 PM11/28/23
to Henry Wertz, s3ql
That's really great to hear!
re EXT4 losing data, you shouldn't lose any data if you use ordered-data log mode.
I have had a couple of failures on ext3/4 where the metadata was logged but the data wasn't, so the file was "completed" but data inside was zeros after recovery.
Just thought I'd mention that.

Message has been deleted

Nikolaus Rath

Dec 1, 2023, 3:24:00 AM12/1/23
to noreply-spamdigest via s3ql
Hi,

What this means is that Backblaze isn't as fully S3 compatible as it perhaps advertises. In seems what's missing in particular is support for "V2 Signature auth".

Best,
-Nikolaus

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023, at 02:56, Paul Harris wrote:
Doesn't work for me.

In authinfo2, I have
[s3c-test]
backend-login: 00etcetc
backend-password: Ketcetc

I run
python3 -m pytest tests/t1_backends.py::test_readinto_write_fh

and it says HTTPError: 400 (The V2 signature auth is not supported)

Message has been deleted

Nikolaus Rath

Dec 3, 2023, 6:18:24 AM12/3/23
to noreply-spamdigest via s3ql
Hi,

The s3 backend uses v4 auth.

The s3c backend uses the original S3 specification back from whenever it was first published.

Best,
-Nikolaus

On Fri, 1 Dec 2023, at 14:28, Paul Harris wrote:
Sorry i think i hit the wrong button to reply...
I thought s3 only supports V4 auth now?  I thought I read that somewhere.
Or was it b2 only supports V4.

Why don't we use V4 auth?