Issue 408 in s3fs: Getting chroot to work over an s3 mount point

s3...@googlecode.com

Jan 24, 2014, 12:28:27 PM1/24/14
to s3fs-...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Support Priority-Medium

New issue 408 by dgki...@gmail.com: Getting chroot to work over an s3 mount
point
http://code.google.com/p/s3fs/issues/detail?id=408

Detailed description of support request:

So, my use case is that I have multiple users that I want to be able to
sftp into a chrooted home on s3 and push files in.

The issue I'm having is that I have to mount the s3fs filesystem as root,
and using the 'allow_others' option, the mnt point changes to 777. Since I
cant change the mount point permissions after its mounted, sshd is kicking
out any logins to the chrooted home directory because of the permission on
/mnt/s3

sshd[11128]: fatal: bad ownership or modes for chroot directory
component "/mnt/s3/"

For it to work, I need that mount point to be 755 at a minimum, or I need
to be able to mount the directory and map it to another mount directory,
similiar such as

mount --bind /srv/web/example.com /home/user/web

Has anyone run into an issue similar to this before, and is there a
solution I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

The following information is very important in order to help us to help
you. Omission of the following details may delay your support request or
receive no attention at all.
Version of s3fs being used (s3fs --version): 1.74

Version of fuse being used (pkg-config --modversion fuse): 2.9.3

System information (uname -a): 2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jan 3
21:39:27 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Distro (cat /etc/issue): CentOS

s3fs command line used (if applicable): s3fs <bucket> /mnt/s3
-ouse_cache=/cache/s3 -ouse_see=1 -o allow_other

/etc/fstab entry (if applicable):

s3fs syslog messages (grep s3fs /var/log/syslog):
sshd[11128]: fatal: bad ownership or modes for chroot directory
component "/mnt/s3/"

issue notifications to this address.

s3...@googlecode.com

Apr 28, 2014, 1:35:40 PM4/28/14
to s3fs-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 408 by brian.ka...@gmail.com: Getting chroot to work
Hello, where you able to solve this issue? I am running into the same
problem

s3...@googlecode.com

Oct 13, 2014, 9:50:07 AM10/13/14
to s3fs-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 408 by manak.wa...@news.co.uk: Getting chroot to work
over an s3 mount point
https://code.google.com/p/s3fs/issues/detail?id=408

Same issue here also. Was anyone able to solve this?

s3...@googlecode.com

Oct 13, 2014, 10:51:27 AM10/13/14
to s3fs-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #3 on issue 408 by ggta...@gmail.com: Getting chroot to work over
Now s3fs does not have custom permission for mount point.
just idea, if you can make sub directory under bucket, is it instead of
mount point for sftp?

Regards

s3...@googlecode.com

Nov 4, 2014, 10:49:23 AM11/4/14
to s3fs-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #4 on issue 408 by thegaby: Getting chroot to work over an s3 mount
point
https://code.google.com/p/s3fs/issues/detail?id=408

same issue.

s3...@googlecode.com

Feb 7, 2015, 12:28:54 PM2/7/15
to s3fs-...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #5 on issue 408 by ggta...@gmail.com: Getting chroot to work over
Hi

I merged new codes on Github(https://github.com/s3fs-fuse/s3fs-fuse).
It is that mp_umask option is added, the new option masks the mount point
directory permission like umask.

Please try to cheek master branch on Github.

And I'm going to close this issue, if you find any problem, please post
new issue on Github.

Thanks in advance for your help.