Issue 438 in s3fs: Using s3fs 1.75 or 1.77 - Not mounting on boot consistently - AWS EC2

s3...@googlecode.com

Aug 1, 2014, 12:49:35 PM8/1/14
to s3fs-...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 438 by shardeb...@gmail.com: Using s3fs 1.75 or 1.77 - Not
mounting on boot consistently - AWS EC2
http://code.google.com/p/s3fs/issues/detail?id=438

Detailed description of observed behavior:

In trying to resolve the issue with timestamps on the files in the cache
being incorrect with v1.71, I've installed 1.75 and 1.77 on an EC2 instance
and cannot consistently get the instance to boot with the bucket mounted,
in either version. It works sometimes, but, not always.

I reinstalled 1.71 and it will consistently mount, with all settings the
same.

Are there any known issues with mounting with these versions? All
dependencies apps seem to be current.

As soon as I re-install 1.71 it mounts every time on boot, with no other
changes.

What steps will reproduce the problem - please be very specific and
detailed. (if the developers cannot reproduce the issue, then it is
unlikely a fix will be found)?

The following information is very important in order to help us to help
you. Omission of the following details may delay your support request or
receive no attention at all.
Version of s3fs being used (s3fs --version):

1.75 or 1.77

Version of fuse being used (pkg-config --modversion fuse):

2.9.3

System information (uname -a):

Linux ip-10-179-58-188 3.10.42-52.145.amzn1.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 10
23:46:43 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Distro (cat /etc/issue):

s3fs command line used (if applicable):

Tried this in the /etc/rc.local:

/usr/bin/s3fs abms-static-dev /opt/ABMS -o noatime -o allow_other -o
uid=91 -o gid=48 -o use_cache=/var/cache/s3fs -o default_acl=read-write -o
nonempty -o nosuid -o nodev

and

mount -a (this works fine on 1.71 - but, neither commands work for 1.75
or 1.77 consistently)

/etc/fstab entry (if applicable):

s3fs#abms-static-dev /opt/ABMS fuse
rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,nonempty,uid=91,gid=48,use_cache=/var/cache/s3fs
0 0

s3fs syslog messages (grep s3fs /var/log/syslog):

There is nothing in /var/log/messages with the newer versions, after
boot.

issue notifications to this address.

s3...@googlecode.com

Aug 1, 2014, 3:54:34 PM8/1/14
to s3fs-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 438 by shardeb...@gmail.com: Using s3fs 1.75 or 1.77 -
Not mounting on boot consistently - AWS EC2
http://code.google.com/p/s3fs/issues/detail?id=438

Okay, after some testing and research, I was able to find something that
worked to fix the issue with the mount.

I had to run the following command:

chkconfig --level 2345 netfs on

and then change nodev in fstab line to _netdev, as follows:

s3fs#abms-static-dev /opt/ABMS fuse
rw,noatime,nosuid,_netdev,allow_other,nonempty,uid=91,gid=48,use_cache=/var/cache/s3fs
0 0

Then, the mount on boot worked successfully every time and the timestamps
are correct now when files are downloaded to the cache.

This worked with the 1.75 and 1.77 version.

Thanks.

s3...@googlecode.com

Feb 7, 2015, 9:50:37 AM2/7/15
to s3fs-...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #2 on issue 438 by ggta...@gmail.com: Using s3fs 1.75 or 1.77 - Not
mounting on boot consistently - AWS EC2
https://code.google.com/p/s3fs/issues/detail?id=438

Hi, shardebeck

Thanks & sorry for replying late.
I'm closing this issue, if you have any problem yet, please post new issue
on GitHub(s3fs-fuse).
Regards,