S2latexture: conversion failed

Tomek Drabas

May 15, 2012, 8:43:18 AM5/15/12
to S2PLOT
Dear S2Plotters,

For my current research I devised a new 3-dimension market
segmentation model (I should probably mention that I am a PhD student
of operations research in aviation). I wanted to present it in an
interactive way. After learning about S2Plot I dove in and started
plotting.

However, I'm facing some difficulties with using S2Plot, andn with
ss2ltt in particular. Compilation goes fine but when I run it I get
the following error:
S2PLOT WARNING ... <s2latexture>: conversion of png to texture failed
Advisory: unable to load texture <texturise1-failed>, using 'red X'

Here's my .profile configuration:

export PATH=/usr/local/s2plot-2.4/darwin-gnu-x86_64:$PATH
export S2PATH="/usr/local/s2plot-2.4"
export S2ARCH="darwin-gnu-x86_64"
export S2TEXPATH="${S2PATH}/textures"
export S2PLOT_LATEXBIN="/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-darwin/
latex"
export S2PLOT_DVIPNGIN="/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-darwin/
dvipng"
export C_INCLUDE_PATH="${C_INCLUDE_PATH}:${S2PATH}"
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH="${CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH}:${S2PATH}"
export S2FREETYPE="yes"

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Tom

Tomek Drabas

May 17, 2012, 6:25:25 AM5/17/12
to s2p...@googlegroups.com
Ok, found that I forgot about 'B' in 'S2PLOT_DVIPNGBIN'.Yet, still no output.

Anybody?
-Tom

Tomek Drabas

May 17, 2012, 6:47:31 PM5/17/12
to S2PLOT
This seems like I'm talking to myself... Anyways, found the reason and
the solution why it didn't work before.

If anybody wants ss2ltt to work ImageMagick (IM) needs to be installed
(if there isn't one installed already). In my case I needed to get a
fresh install through MacPorts (run with no quotes): '$sudo ports
install ImageMagick'. Just make sure you run '$sudo ports selfupdate'
first.

After, you need to set the S2PLOT_IMPATH to the IM binaries. S2Plot
calls 'identify' and 'convert' methods of IM. In my case, these were
located in separate folders so I ended up copying identify to /usr/
local/bin, where convert could be found. This did the trick and ss2ltt
worked fine from now on.

Ended up not using it, however, in favour of ds2bb -- somehow using
panels to make latex labels to face the viewer didn't render the
texture properly. As I am running out of time, at this stage ds2bb
will have to suffice.

Hope this helps to anybody (should someone actually read it and face
similar problems).

Cheers,
-Tom