S2PLOT on *BSD

Ahmad M.

Jul 9, 2007, 4:20:52 AM7/9/07
to S2PLOT
Hey,
I'm interested in running S2PLOT on NetBSD.
Now, S2PLOT binaries are available for Linux, which means (possible)
compatibility with NetBSD via Linux emulation.
However, I was interested in finding out-- is there any way to build
S2PLOT on a non-Linux non-Darwin non-SunOS non-Cygwin system?
I'm on an x86 box, and NetBSD is largely POSIX compliant, so I don't
see the Linux code being an issue-- unless it refers specifically to
system includes.
NetBSD has DRI/DRM support as well as all the necessary GL libraries
to run 3D applications.
I guess that leads me to my next question-- is S2PLOT open source? I
grabbed the "all" distribution, but can't see the source in there.
(Just a bunch of source files with functions and samples)
Thanks,
Ahmad

David Barnes

Jul 10, 2007, 12:04:16 AM7/10/07
to S2PLOT
Hi Ahmad,

S2PLOT is not open source at this stage. This is unlikely to change
in the next six months.

This is the first request we have had for a *BSD build of S2PLOT. If
you can manage by using "Linux emulation" then I recommend that for
the time being.

Thanks,

David.

Ahmad M.

Jul 15, 2007, 10:09:35 AM7/15/07
to S2PLOT
Hello,
Well, the thing with "Linux emulation" is that I'd be required to
obtain a built Linux version of gcc and, as a result, have to build
Linux binaries and link all of my code against the Linux libraries--
which means a very inconvenient solution.
How soon can a *BSD build be expected? (If possible)
Thanks,
Ahmad

David Barnes

Jul 15, 2007, 6:53:04 PM7/15/07
to S2PLOT
Hi Ahmad,

with no other requests for a *BSD build of S2PLOT, our intention for
the
time being is to develop new features rather than support this
operating
system.

David Barnes.