Python module build

Christie Rockwell

Oct 2, 2011, 5:32:24 PM10/2/11
to S2PLOT
I'm trying to build the python module, but when I do "python setup.py
build" I get lines upon lines of error messages. A lot of the errors
say "variable" is undeclared. I'm not sure what to do or how to fix
this. I did notice, though, that in the last part of the error
message, it had something about python 2.3, which is the default
version on my mac, but I have python 2.5 installed and have always
used 2.5.

Let me know what I should do. Thanks!

David Barnes

Oct 2, 2011, 5:40:15 PM10/2/11
to S2PLOT
Hi Christie,

the Python module was written quite a while ago. In particular, it
should be built against S2PLOT 2.4 not the newer 2.8-RC1 version. I
don't know much about Python myself, but I think it would be worth
building using python 2.3 not 2.5, as 2.5 is probably newer than what
was used to develop the current python module.

If there is anyone listening on this list with python expertise, it
would be nice if someone could update the python module for 2.8RC1, or
even 3.0 which will be released very shortly (testing this week).

thanks - David.

On Oct 3, 8:32 am, Christie Rockwell <christierockw...@gmail.com>

Christie Rockwell

Oct 2, 2011, 8:32:52 PM10/2/11
to S2PLOT
Thanks! I am using the 2.4 version of S2PLOT. It said in the
installation text file that the module was sure to work with python
2.5 and numpy 1.0.4 and that other versions may or may not work. (I
am using numpy 1.1.1, but I do not think that is the problem.
Although I guess it could be.)