State terminating error in S2E

Mukta Debnath

Mar 12, 2024, 6:29:19 AMMar 12
to S2E Developer Forum
Hi,

S2E is terminating all states after generating only one test-case which is the supplied concrete input for the binary. I use the following command:

s2e new_project --image debian-9.2.1-x86_64 -n fft-cwom-sym ./fft.exe -infile ./fft_input.txt

The following screen appears after running "./launch-s2e.sh"

Screenshot from 2024-03-12 15-39-20.png

Thanks and Regards,

Mukta

Vitaly Chipounov

Mar 12, 2024, 6:53:28 AMMar 12
to s2e...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Did you check that the program actually ran in the guest? If you built your binary on Ubuntu 22.04, it will not run on Debian 9, which by the way is not supported anymore. Most recent version of S2E builds Debian 11.

Vitaly

Mukta Debnath

Mar 12, 2024, 7:07:00 AMMar 12
to s2e...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

My Ubuntu version is 20.04.3 LTS. Which guest image is supported for this from the available images?

Thanks and Regards,

Mukta

Vitaly Chipounov

Mar 12, 2024, 7:29:16 AMMar 12
to s2e...@googlegroups.com
None. S2E builds and runs on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Debian 11 (64-bit). Earlier versions may still work, but we do not support them anymore. [1]
You seem to be running a two years old version of S2E since you have Debian 9 guest images. I don't have the resources to support that.

That being said, the same debugging techniques would apply on recent versions as well:
- Enable graphics output (GUI=1 ./launch-s2e.sh)
- Put a sleep at the end of bootstrap.sh to pause execution.
- Start S2E
- Type ctrl+c in the guest to abort execution and drop to the shell.
- Launch your program manually. See if it runs properly and there are no error messages.

In general, your host and the guest may have different standard libraries. If the one on the host is more recent that the one in the guest, the program will not run. Use a docker container on the host with an identical set up as the guest in order to build the program.

Vitaly

[1] https://s2e.systems/docs/s2e-env.html

Mukta Debnath

Mar 12, 2024, 7:53:38 AMMar 12
to s2e...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. I will be following the steps for debugging.

Yes, I am using the old version of S2E since I faced lots of difficulties in installing the latest version in Ubuntu 22.04 with the image compatibility. I will share in different mail. But due to some deadlines I am using the old version for now.

I just came across an error while running S2E with seeds as shown below. Where should the symranges files for the seeds be stored?

Screenshot from 2024-03-12 17-06-45.png

Thanks and Regards,

Mukta

Vitaly Chipounov

Mar 12, 2024, 10:33:51 AMMar 12
to s2e...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Please run s2e export_project and attach the archive.

Vitaly

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mukta Debnath

Mar 13, 2024, 3:36:08 AMMar 13
to S2E Developer Forum
Hi,

The exported project is shared in google drive with the following link:

I used the following command to build the project:

"s2e new_project --use-seeds --image debian-9.2.1-x86_64 -n uart_swm2 ./uart.exe -infile @@"

Thanks and Regards,

Mukta

Vitaly Chipounov

Mar 13, 2024, 6:53:05 AMMar 13
to s2e...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You need to provide a *.symranges file if you want to make parts of the file symbolic. Without it, it will be fully concrete.
The format is specified here [1].

Vitaly