who know this random error message

sandwich125

Dec 13, 2020, 1:29:44 AM12/13/20
to s2e...@googlegroups.com

  when I use s2e to analysis some programme , when it run 12 hours or 13 hours it display the following error and abort . and the point of abort time is different.  wo know why?

Vitaly Chipounov

Dec 15, 2020, 4:33:22 AM12/15/20
to s2e...@googlegroups.com, sandwich125

After that long, S2E most likely ran out of memory.

Vitaly

On 12/13/20 7:29 AM, sandwich125 wrote:

  when I use s2e to analysis some programme , when it run 12 hours or 13 hours it display the following error and abort . and the point of abort time is different.  wo know why?

sandwich125

Dec 16, 2020, 8:51:43 PM12/16/20
to Vitaly Chipounov, s2e...@googlegroups.com
the memory of  physical host machine is 64G,   as you say S2E likely ran out of memory in virtual machine of GuestOS(debian-9.2.1-i386), Do I have some way to confirm that GuestOS have run out of memory at that point?

if I add the memory of GuestOS virtual machine,  dIs this method feasible? I rember in some document you say the proper memory of GuestOS(debian-9.2.1) is 1G, why?  if I add the GuestOS memory to 16G or 32G (or 128G), why it is not proper to S2E?

Vitaly Chipounov

Dec 17, 2020, 4:45:27 AM12/17/20
to sandwich125, s2e...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

On 12/17/20 2:51 AM, sandwich125 wrote:
the memory of  physical host machine is 64G,   as you say S2E likely ran out of memory in virtual machine of GuestOS(debian-9.2.1-i386), Do I have some way to confirm that GuestOS have run out of memory at that point?
No, I said that S2E ran out of memory. S2E does not crash if the guest runs of guest RAM.
64 GB on the host is not that much if you let S2E run for hours with many states.
You can run dmesg on the host or the guest to confirm which one ran out of memory.

if I add the memory of GuestOS virtual machine,  dIs this method feasible? I rember in some document you say the proper memory of GuestOS(debian-9.2.1) is 1G, why?  if I add the GuestOS memory to 16G or 32G (or 128G), why it is not proper to S2E?

You can add more RAM to the guest, it's definitely something you could do for Linux, where the default image uses 256MB. Some Windows images use 2GB.

I would not recommend going above 2G-4G for several reasons:
- S2E start up time will be much slower as it has to initialize quite a bit of metadata for each memory page
- You will need a lot more host memory to run S2E, especially for symbolic execution.

It's not impossible to optimize all of that if you really need it, but that would be a large project on its own.

Vitaly

sandwich125

Dec 23, 2020, 8:53:05 PM12/23/20
to Vitaly Chipounov, s2e...@googlegroups.com

 You will need a lot more host memory to run S2E, especially for symbolic execution

Does this means if I allocate N G memory to GuestOS,  the host machine memory must big than 2*N G ?

or why if I allocated big memory to GuestOS, if S2E do symbolic execution ,host need more memory?

sandwich125

Dec 23, 2020, 8:53:45 PM12/23/20
to s2e...@googlegroups.com

 You will need a lot more host memory to run S2E, especially for symbolic execution

Does this means if I allocate N G memory to GuestOS,  the host machine memory must big than 2*N G ?

or why if I allocated big memory to GuestOS, if S2E do symbolic execution ,host need more memory?

sandwich125

Dec 24, 2020, 3:59:32 AM12/24/20
to s2e...@googlegroups.com, s2e...@googlegroups.com
how could I adjust guest OS memory?
 I modify ./debian-9.2.1-i386/image.json file  256M  ->  2048M
but when I run s2e it report eror as following:

Vitaly Chipounov

Dec 24, 2020, 6:39:58 AM12/24/20
to s2e...@googlegroups.com, sandwich125

You also need to rebuild the image.