under constrained symbolic execution

Zoe Patrick

Feb 27, 2021, 3:02:20 AM2/27/21
to S2E Developer Forum
Hi all, I wonder if s2e supports under constrained symbolic execution - similar to UC-KLEE. If not, any place suggested to be modified?

Vitaly Chipounov

Feb 28, 2021, 5:20:55 PM2/28/21
to s2e...@googlegroups.com, Zoe Patrick

Hi,

S2E does not currently support under constrained symbolic execution as implemented in UC-KLEE. There are quite a few challenges to implement it:

- Unlike KLEE, S2E does not have any type information about the program, this is a problem for lazy input initialization. You will have to think about how to do it for binaries, perhaps with the help of debug information if available.
- S2E runs by default an entire VM, which makes it awkward to run individual functions in isolation. That's fairly simple to solve though, e.g., with PyKVM [1] , which allows you to run small bits of binary code without any OS.

If you have source code available, it makes more sense to use UC-KLEE than S2E in my opinion. More details about your project would be needed to make a proper choice.

Vitaly

[1] https://github.com/S2E/PyKVM