Timing of cutover actions

Beman Dawes

Feb 7, 2013, 5:05:02 PM2/7/13
to Ryppl Developers List
Does making the svn repo read-only have to happen simultaneously with
the individual git repos going live?

Or will the individual library git repos become safe to use (i.e.
pushed changes will not be lost) somewhat before the git repos stop
mirroring changes to the svn repo?

The use case is that I've got a bug fix for Filesystem that I'd like
to experiment with on a git branch ASAP, and am willing to lock
Filesystem on svn well before other libraries stop using svn.

I suspect other developers might want to do something similar, and not
have to wait for all of svn trunk and branches release to be locked.

--Beman

Dave Abrahams

Feb 7, 2013, 8:15:24 PM2/7/13
to rypp...@googlegroups.com

on Thu Feb 07 2013, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:

> Does making the svn repo read-only have to happen simultaneously with
> the individual git repos going live?

Well, no... it could happen before then ;-)

> Or will the individual library git repos become safe to use (i.e.
> pushed changes will not be lost) somewhat before the git repos stop
> mirroring changes to the svn repo?

Right now we're using git push --mirror, so it clobbers everything. We
could conceivably go with git push -f --all, but I would be more
comfortable keeping things as they are. I'm not sure what the
implications might be, otherwise.

> The use case is that I've got a bug fix for Filesystem that I'd like
> to experiment with on a git branch ASAP, and am willing to lock
> Filesystem on svn well before other libraries stop using svn.
>
> I suspect other developers might want to do something similar, and not
> have to wait for all of svn trunk and branches release to be locked.

You can fork the repo and start developing in your fork whenever you
like. When the freeze happens, you may have to rebase your changes, but
otherwise it should "just work." Alternatively, you can use git-svn for
developing in Git against the current SVN repo.

--
Dave Abrahams