Seeking advice how to proceed after mistreatment

Zero G

Jan 12, 2017, 7:15:15 PM1/12/17
to Ryanair Customers
Ryan Air forced us to pay a check in fee. This email to RA sums up our experience:

We checked in our family of 4 for our flight via your app, early on the morning of the flight, but upon arrival at airport BCN, desk agent claimed we had not checked in and said we had to pay an extra €45 per person.

We asked to speak to supervisor and were sent to Ryan Air service desk.

The agent there said he had no record of us checking in, and that we had no choice but to pay the fees, or they would not let us board the flight.

My wife in particular was quite upset, and complained that this was unfair, and this agent proceeded to insult her, calling her a "stupid spoiled American", saying she needed to "learn how to behave like an adult", and went on to say, "this is a Jewish name, yes? That makes sense. It is very typical." The exchange was rude, insulting, and racist.

Ironically we received an SMS from you -- the FOLLOWING day! -- 'reminding' us to check in to the flight."

I demand that (a) you refund, at minimum, the check-in fees immediately, (b) you reprimand this individual for his unprofessional and insulting behavior, and (c) he write a personal apology to my wife for his behavior.

And this was their response:

Regarding your recent correspondence please be advised that according to our records you have not been checked in online on your flight Therefore the amount, 185.48 EUR, was charged correctly at Airport as check in fee.

We are furious, and wondering what the best course of action is.

This website (http://www.ryanaircampaign.org/contact.html) mentions the "Irish online small claims court website" -- can I do that as a non-European citizen (American)?

Thanks for any advice...

farci

Jan 13, 2017, 2:33:24 PM1/13/17
to Ryanair Customers

As far as I know the Irish small claims court procedure can be used irrespectve of nationality.

I can't judge on your particular situation but only observe that because you are not an EU/EEA citizen you cannot check-in finally through the app. Although I hold a UK passport my wife is a US citizen. Each time we travel together we must print out a boarding pass for her at home and take it to the airport desk or incur a fee. This is in Ryanair's terms and conditions:
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/passports-and-visas/im-a-non-eu-eea-passenger-do-I-need-extra-travel-document-visa-check

Let us know what happens. Good luck!