an oddity

Timothy Stowell

Feb 8, 2024, 5:20:45 PMFeb 8
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
So I had a guy write me from a gen soc that they needed a place to host their site.

Current Rootsweb site is here - https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nystgs/

New site is here - https://nystgs.nygenweb.net/index.htm and is a work in progress.

Then he says this - "When I edited a file with new information, all I got was a page full of garbage with oriental characters.

  Do you have any idea what I should do ???"

When I look at the two sites, I do not see Chinese characters.

Looking at the source code on Rootsweb shows me it is using CSS to control the header and I see the same code in the new index file.

I think all he would need is the .css files so that the new site looks like the old one, but I'm not positive, so I thought I'd ask you folks.

Best regards,

Tim Stowell

Barry Carlson

Feb 8, 2024, 5:41:43 PMFeb 8
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Timothy,

That is all that needs doing.

He needs to recover the css files and images and save them in the same relative locations in the new site.

I have checked the file you referred to and just hot linked to the existing files; it is at -

https://ngamotu.nz/test/nystgs.html

Barry

St Joseph Island Historical Society

Feb 25, 2024, 11:30:36 AMFeb 25
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Just so you all know.
So, I was on my web site on Friday and updated a file but find today that I can no longer do that. Also the banner that had been on the top of our web site regarding shutdown is now gone.

Cathy

Feb 25, 2024, 12:13:51 PMFeb 25
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it appears to be static and the Red banner at the top of pages is gone.  Luckily, I was able to make some changes this past week.

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html

Yvonne Bowers

Feb 25, 2024, 1:57:25 PMFeb 25
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Today (2/25/24 10:55am PST) I’m getting a permission denied message.  Is this a temporary problem or are we done?

Error:         Unable to open .: permission denied

Error:         Failed to retrieve directory listing

Yvonne Bowers
Listmom/Webmom/BoardMom since 1996

St Joseph Island Historical Society

Feb 25, 2024, 2:00:52 PMFeb 25
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I believe we're done!

Timothy Stowell

Feb 25, 2024, 5:45:28 PMFeb 25
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I believe they flipped the switch sometime late Friday night or just after midnight as I discovered early Saturday morning.

I wrote to support and am waiting for a reply from them.

Tim Stowell

On Sun, Feb 25, 2024, 11:30 AM St Joseph Island Historical Society <sji...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just so you all know.
So, I was on my web site on Friday and updated a file but find today that I can no longer do that. Also the banner that had been on the top of our web site regarding shutdown is now gone.

cemeterian

Feb 25, 2024, 6:06:21 PMFeb 25
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Based on what I've heard from multiple folks, they seem to be doing the shut down in waves. Some still have access and are able to do updates while others were shut out weeks ago.

Sent from my Galaxy