[RW-Website-Help] Freepages Index

Sandra Van Erp

Oct 24, 2023, 8:57:45 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to the persistence in getting through this
difficult transition and disappointment. I'm just starting
addressing my pages. I intend to leave them.

I can find family and church in the Index, but  not this one, shouldn't it be
in History under the M section? I tried in the f sort as well.

Also, on the 2 pgs I can find, I had added that  announcement about Hosting
websites, etc. and now that banner appears twice on the sites I can find, but not this one.
Maybe got missed.  Appreciate any help!  - Sandra  Van Erp (MN)

Timothy Stowell

Oct 25, 2023, 1:58:21 AM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Sandra,

I couldn't find your page listed on the rootswebsiteindex page either.  Oddly though I did find a freepages site of mine that to my knowledge was never listed.  So I wonder if they may be rebuilding their index and it may appear later.  I couldn't find a search engine for the rootswebsitesindex page.

Was your page showing in the index prior to the outage?

Cool to see the page you showed was related to Faribault County, MN.

Tim Stowell

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html

Bruce Coyne

Oct 25, 2023, 8:25:59 AM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Still unable to log into my site. Has anything changed in the login procedure?

Bruce Coyne

Sandra Van Erp

Oct 25, 2023, 9:36:23 AM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Tim - thank you for your response. I've always found my sites using browser bookmarks,
can't remember looking in the Rootsweb Ancestry "Index". So, don't know. Haven't picked
this up since March this year. Been following along all the difficulties. Thought better get with it.
fyi...MN has a county of Faribault and a town in Rice Cty. This school is in Rice Cty.
I just tried to find my "site" files using Filezilla, logged in fine. Files seem all there. It does
say there's a new version of FZ,  scared to update!

Another issue with just this site. The page source says my file has �s gibberish
in place of apostrophes various places throughout that site index file page. I didn't type that,
or load it. Also seems associated with quote marks in various places. The first is under
the heading THE 150TH text,
St. Mary�s Hall started Nov. 1, 1866 (All Saints Day on the church calendar) in the Bishop�s house
It burned in 1907; the only remaining part of the original SMH is the house at 610 Central Ave. (previously Main St.)

There one instance in the page middle of the line Festmarsch from "Tannh�user" by Wagner
further down.
Doesn't seem a problem on sub pages.

No problem on my family home page https://sites.rootsweb.com/~folp/

If this is an html problem, I'm in big trouble. I looked in Firefox, but also Chrome.
Both say it's in my original file source. Would appreciate any thoughts on this!! and how to FIX!!!!!
Thank you, Sandra Van Erp

Charlie Towne

Oct 25, 2023, 1:01:35 PM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
On 10/25/2023 9:35 AM, Sandra Van Erp wrote:

> Another issue with just this site. The page source says my file has
> �s gibberish in place of apostrophes various places throughout that
> site index file page. I didn't type that, or load it.

I did a little Google'ing, at it seems to be a text encoding issue,
involving special characters, possibly created when copying text from
one file to another. I'm far from an expert on things like this, and
rather than trying to figure out what specifically caused the problem,
and how to fix it, it just seemed easier to edit the text of the source
file for that page, replacing each instance of "�" with what was
intended. As you said, in most cases the intended text was clearly an
apostrophe, but in others it seemed to be a double quotation mark, or a
dash symbol, or the diacritical "a" with two dots in Tannhauser. From
what I've read, a double space at the end of a line can also cause it.

Anyway, I've edited the file, and will send it to you as an attachment
in a separate email. I've also got a connection to St. Mary's in
Faribault, and will be asking about that too. (But that may not be until
later today or this evening - we're watching four-year-old granddaughter
this afternoon, and I've got some yard work to do.)

--
Charlie Towne
ceto...@gmail.com

Pat Asher

Oct 25, 2023, 2:13:17 PM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Sandra, You don't have to add the announcement; the server does that automatically.

Pat A.

Pat Asher

Oct 25, 2023, 2:30:33 PM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Sandra, Charlie is correct, the problem is encoding based on the character set used to display the web page. If you don't specify one, both the server and your browser have to guess and the page may not display correctly. You need to add a line between the <.head> <./head> tags of your page(s). It look to me as if your page was written in HTML4.01 and the standard character set for HTML4 was ISO-8859-1. But the code for the banner added by Ancestry is HTML5 and the character set for HTML5 is Unicode, i.e UTF-8., which I believe is backwards compatible. So try adding that, i.e.
<.head>
<.meta charset="UTF-8">
<.TITLE>Shattuck - St. Mary's Sesquicentennial Museum Display<./TITLE>
<.style>
li {margin-top:10px}
<./style>
<./head>
All without the leading dot/periods added here to keep the code from executing in this email.

Someone who knows more than I do, please correct anything I have missed or misstated.

Pat A.

Sandra Van Erp

Oct 25, 2023, 2:49:14 PM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Charlie - thank you so much for helping find "issues", I was at a loss.
Look forward to hearing from you whenever! I too have a busy week.
ALWAYS glad to talk about SMH!!  - Sandra

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

Sandra Van Erp

Oct 25, 2023, 2:52:08 PM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Pat - thank you so much for sharing and suggesting, what a good leader you are!
I will work on revising and uploading. Also discovered I seem to have two index.htm
files for that page. Wonder how that happened. Will do more detective work and
report back. Thanks, again!! - Sandra

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

Sandra Van Erp

Oct 25, 2023, 2:54:41 PM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
And when I get the other site file fixed,
will remove the announcements I added before they did.
Thanks for solving the mystery!
Sandra

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

Timothy Stowell

Oct 25, 2023, 5:02:43 PM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Bruce,

If you logged into your account some time this year before the outage, and saved your settings it should work.

Tim

Pat Asher

Oct 25, 2023, 5:39:48 PM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Bruce, Your FTP client creates an error log when you try to connect to a site. Send us a copy of that error log and we'll try to spot any errors.

Pat A

Sandra Van Erp

Oct 28, 2023, 12:50:42 PM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Pat - I worked on revising the index.html file for my history directory yesterday, deleted the outdated file,
uploaded an edited update, it didn't see it, displayed blank page. I had to put it down, tried again now.

Before launching, FZ required me to update to their current version, downloaded it into my Downloads directory.
So, I updated, restarted again. Now my old login won't work for this site

Says the Host does not exist for username folp, my pw, 22 port
I've been trying to follow along all the login advice. Please remind me what the current Host should be.

I'll try uploading an updated file with your new header, maybe the old FZ version
was the issue it went blank. I guess this is the only method of testing the
revised html on the gibberish displaying issue with the old file.
Thanks again for hanging in with this latest Ancestry headache. My heart goes out to
all those with bigger problems than mind!
Sandra

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

Sandra Van Erp

Oct 28, 2023, 1:04:30 PM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Pat - found your Oct. 20th email where you state Host should be: sitesuser.rootsweb.com
Worked! I'm in. Will continue working on the html test with the gibberish on

Sandra

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 1:30 PM Pat Asher <pjr...@att.net> wrote:
--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

Sandra Van Erp

Oct 28, 2023, 1:52:04 PM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Pat - I have the current FZ version active, uploaded an updated Header html, it doesn't display the page for
I viewed the source, line 83 has changed the gibberish to another symbol, not an apostrophe.
There's a couple other examples in other lines for possessive apostrophes or double quotes, etc.
Before the source document also displayed the gibberish.

I will leave it alone until I hope you can spot, with all this back and forth, I caused this.
Been a long time since I built this page in any version html, was pretty novice then!
Sandra Van Erp - MN