Fwd: FTP Errors

Pat Asher

Oct 20, 2023, 6:41:14 PM10/20/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I am including below, the response I received from rwsu...@ancestry.com to my complaint about my (and your) inability to connect via ftp to site...@rootsweb.com. We were told we would have access to our sites until "early 2024." This is still 2023!

I didn't copy the message I posted to their support form, to which the below is the response; but I quoted the error message from Filezilla stating "could not connect to server." That was ignored or not recognized, and I quoted it again in the response below, along with an explanation.

Again, I suggest those of you having a problem connecting via ftp register a complaint using the form at
https://support.rootsweb.com/s/contactsupport
Select either Mailing Lists or World Connect but include be sure to include FTP in your subject line.

Also, all ftp programs create an error log. Include a copy of that error message in your complaint. You may subsequently be asked to explain what the error message means, as I was, but you can identify the hostname (sitesuser.rootsweb.com) and your username, and restate that in subsequent messages if asked.

According to what is posted at https://www.rootsweb.com, "Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024," NOT in October 2023.

Pat Asher

From: Pat Asher <pjr...@att.net>

I included that information in my initial error report, i.e.
Response:    fzSftp started, protocol_version=11
Command:    open "pash...@sitesuser.rootsweb.com" 22
Error:    Could not connect to server

If you are unfamiliar with FTP protocols, that translates as
Hostname: sitesuser.rootsweb.com
User Name: pasherfp
Port: 22
Error: Could not connect to server

IOW, your server is refusing the connection. It is not refusing my username or password. It simply refuses to allow a connection, period. This is the same error that dozens of other Freepages/Hompages/WWW users are experiencing.

Pat Asher

On 10/20/2023 3:41 PM, rwsu...@ancestry.com wrote:
Rootsweb Logo
Dear Pat,

Thank you for contacting RootsWeb, we regret any difficulty you may be experiencing and are happy to help.

For us to further investigate, can you please provide screenshots of the error and the username or link/URL address of the webpage that you're trying to access?

We'll await for your reply and if there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.

JL
RootsWeb Support Team
http://rootsweb.ancestry.com

ref:!00D150EQ03.!5006R01wIBmU:ref

Barry Carlson

Oct 20, 2023, 8:36:22 PM10/20/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

A screenshot of a recent attempted connection with the RW Server is at:-

https://ngamotu.nz/misc/images/2023-10-21_115049.png

and the following added to request by rwsu...@ancestry.com

As requested, the FileZilla FTP log report screenshot of an attempt to connect to RW Freepages server.

The log times are for New Zealand Summer Time - UTC+13 on Saturday 21 October 2023.

The logs indicate that there is no problem with the login data, but rather the server is not going to allow the connection.

I deliberately didn't include the Port No. and found that the server responded on Port 22 - as I'd expected.

Regards,

Barry Carlson

beth.dj...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2023, 8:51:41 PM10/20/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

I’m increasingly suspicious of their motives. Much more of this and I may out them on twitter. I’m a nobody, but maybe it will make a difference.

Image removed by sender. Rootsweb Logo

Dear Pat,

Thank you for contacting RootsWeb, we regret any difficulty you may be experiencing and are happy to help.

For us to further investigate, can you please provide screenshots of the error and the username or link/URL address of the webpage that you're trying to access?

We'll await for your reply and if there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.

JL
RootsWeb Support Team
http://rootsweb.ancestry.com

Image removed by sender.