Changing web address in on-site Search

JFlorian

Jan 16, 2024, 3:44:43 AMJan 16
to Barry Carlson, rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barry,

I saw that Ginny wished you Happy Birthday.  I add my well wishes.

I've been meaning to write to you to ask for some help.  Like everyone else, I'm busy repairing
links and trying to get my sites moved.  Every page I uploaded thus far validated (or I worked hard
to get them to validate).  YAY.

Previously, you helped me when you styled on-site search boxes.
How do I update the main URL for Google (on-site)  search, and for Freefind?

Much later, I'd like to ask if you can look at some CSS controlled tables.  Cells in the first column
are much wider than the other columns.  I'm unsure how to fix that.  My pagenweb site is heavy on
tables, so eventually I'll need to fix this.  No hurry; I have plenty to work on now.  (It is the CSS you
styled for me.  I don't think I changed the widths.  I could be wrong.)

I also switched computers a couple yrs ago and mislaid the code you gave me that enlarges jpg images.
Any chance you recall that code and how to apply it?

And, remember Xenu Linkchecker?  I tried with my last laptop (Win10) to use it; it didn't work.
The new laptop is Windows11.   I loved that program.  Any ideas how to get it to work?  Or, do
you have another program recommendation?

On top of everything else, I had to replace my not-so-old laptop.  Over the next 2 weeks, I'll be setting up
my new PC and loading programs etc.   Any chance we could connect after your trip in March?

Happy link-fixing everyone!

Judy

Barry Carlson

Jan 16, 2024, 4:14:18 PMJan 16
to JFlorian, rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Hi Judy,

You've been burning the midnight oil again!

I'll start with the Xenu Link Sleuth, and I suggest you download it from -

https://en.softonic.com/download/xenus-link-sleuth/windows/post-download?ex=CS-1689.2

- avoid the pop-up, then open your Downloads folder, extract all and install.  You should finish with the Xenu link icon on your desk-top.

I haven't had it on my Win 11 laptop until a few minutes ago. However, its there now and I gave it a quick check by looking at links on a site that Charlie Carothers indicated he is working with -

http://www.freebiblecommentary.org

- and it performed well; though I stopped it when the link count approached 7k. In respect of that site, the changing from 'absolute' to 'relative' links will be relatively (no pun intended) easy.

I also note that you appear to have moved your RW pagenweb site. I probably have the files you mentioned here, but it would help me find them if you could place a date on when I was working with them.

I'll have to refresh my memory on the Google site search and Freefind code.

The trip you mentioned is to catch up with my sister who has lived and worked in the US for over 30 years.

Barry

Timothy Stowell

Jan 18, 2024, 4:17:45 PMJan 18
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Judy,

For Freefind URL changes - login to your Freefind account - which asks you for the URL of the website (old one) that needs updating, your email address (registered with Freefind for the account), the password for that account.

Once in to your account, select the Admin tab which will allow you to change the URL of the site to be indexed, your email address, your password, and other things.  Once that is done, do a re-index of the site by going to the tab Build Index.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the Google question.   Xenu works fine on Windows 10, 64 bit.  I haven't tried yet for Windows 11.

Tim Stowell

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 3:44 AM JFlorian <cage...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Barry,