Re: [RW-Website-Help] Rootsweb Free-Pages

Barry Carlson

Nov 28, 2023, 9:26:09 PM11/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Chris,

I note that you are located in NZ, as I am.

The short story is, if you are getting a similar response from the servers as:-

15:09:57    Status:    Connecting to sitesuser.rootsweb.com...
15:09:57    Response:    fzSftp started, protocol_version=11
15:09:57    Command:    open "bris...@sitesuser.rootsweb.com" 22
15:09:58    Error:    Could not connect to server

... you will need to use a VPN to access the RW server, as though not announced by RW /Ancestry, there has been some restrictions implemented at the server by which some Domain Names Servers have been restricted, possibly to do with prior DDOS attacks having been implemented through them.

I use a Virtual Private Network using a server in Phoenix, AZ to access the RW server, and the connected response is:-

15:21:19    Status:    Connecting to sitesuser.rootsweb.com...
15:21:19    Response:    fzSftp started, protocol_version=11
15:21:19    Command:    open "bris...@sitesuser.rootsweb.com" 22
15:21:20    Status:    Using username "bristowe".
15:21:21    Command:    Pass: ********************
15:21:21    Status:    Connected to sitesuser.rootsweb.com
15:21:22    Status:    Retrieving directory listing...
15:21:22    Status:    Listing directory /bristowe
15:21:23    Status:    Directory listing of "/bristowe" successful

If you need any further help in getting and setting up a VPN, just ask on the list.

Barry

On 29/11/2023 12:03 pm, Chris Mahoney wrote:
Hi

Thought I was a member of this Google Group, but could not find anything to confirm it, or how to access it.

Not that it matters much now that I noted that Ancestry are turning the old Rootsweb Free pages into static only pages early next year with no ability to do anything with them after that.

One query on this if you know someone who can help.  I have two pages from Rootsweb, 1st one does not bother me what happens to it, but the 2nd, I would like to do something with it while I can, but the question is, how do I do it.  I do have the username, password (successfully reset today), and FTP instructions, but have been unable to get in.

Any suggestions on what to do.

Thanks

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html