Downloading Roots website from Rootsweb using File Zilla.

rngmaddy

Sep 18, 2023, 1:31:08 PM9/18/23
to RootsWeb-Website-Help
I have tried unsuccessfully to use the instructions given for downloading my website jamwgw using the directions on their website namely:

"How do I download my RootsWeb-hosted website?
  1. Open an FTP client (like FileZilla) and connect to:
    • Host: sf​tp://sitesuser.r​ootsweb.c​​om
    • Port: 22
  2. Enter your username and password and log in. Your username is the website name and can be found at the end of the URL (example: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~username/). For help with your password, click here or contact us.
  3. Use your FTP client to download your website’s files. See instructions for some popular FTP clients here."                                                                                                                                        The error message says the protocol is not correct.  but I copied the Host information from above.  And I contacted them for a new password in case the one I was using was not correct.  I have reset the password..  What else can I do?

Brian Sutton

Sep 18, 2023, 1:49:35 PM9/18/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
rngmaddy,

I had a similar problem. (error message; the protocol is not correct)
But, I'm in Germany. I downloaded a free vpn and finally connected. I'm in Germany and suspected they were denying my access. Might be worth a try.

Brian

Sep 18, 2023, 2:53:56 PM9/18/23
to RootsWeb-Website-Help
Thanks Brian,
I am using a free vpn with  my email..So my computer is signed on to it.
So I am  not sure if that will fix it.
Madeleine

Brian Sutton

Sep 18, 2023, 2:58:52 PM9/18/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Madeliene,

Just checkin'

Host: sf​tp://sitesuser.r​ootsweb.c​​om

Are you putting your user name in there; ie...

Sep 18, 2023, 3:51:34 PM9/18/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Madeline, See the comments by Barry Carlson on 8/29. Your problem may be caused by the location being used by your VPN. Changing the location may solve your problem.

Pat Asher

Gina Heffernan

Sep 18, 2023, 4:29:59 PM9/18/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com, rngm...@gmail.com

This is a protocol error (not security)
     See the attached image and open the Site Manager (usually the first icon up top)
     Create a new login
     Check the Protocol to be sure you're on SFTP
     Check the Port Number to be sure you're on 22
     Use the information you received from Rootsweb to fill in the host, user and password (don't copy what I have here, it's old and doesn't work)
     Don't change anything on the other tabs

If this doesn't fix the problem, log OUT of your VPN and try again
Be sure you aren't copying an extra space before or after the login items you have to provide

image.png

Gina Heffernan
Rusk County, Texas

Since you can be anything ... be kind.

rngmaddy

Sep 18, 2023, 7:46:20 PM9/18/23
to RootsWeb-Website-Help
Thanks Brian that worked in FileZilla.  See another reply after my original post

rngmaddy

Sep 18, 2023, 7:46:24 PM9/18/23
to RootsWeb-Website-Help
Thanks Pat.  Brian Sutton in his second post had the solution to my problem

rngmaddy

Sep 18, 2023, 7:46:33 PM9/18/23
to RootsWeb-Website-Help
Thanks Gina. Brian Sutton in his second post had the solution to my problem.

rngmaddy

Sep 18, 2023, 7:47:50 PM9/18/23
to RootsWeb-Website-Help
Thanks to Brian Sutton’s  follow up on my reply to him I solved the problem by putting my sites “username”at” sitesuser.rootsweb.com” into the sftp:// URL address given in the HOST:  seen in my original post.  Otherwise the instructions worked as written.
Madeleine