Filezilla via VPN

Mary-Ann Vandaveer

Oct 30, 2023, 3:56:02 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am hoping someone can help. I am unable to connect via Filezilla. I've
tried again after reading that some of you were able to connect. I've
also tried other FTP clients, but the problem persists.

Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=8
Command: open "he...@sitesuser.rootsweb.com" 22
Error: Network error: Software caused connection abort

I am using Filezilla version 3.36.0 and Windows 7 Home premium. I know
there's a newer version but I am afraid it won't work after updating
Filezilla.  My Filezilla settings: SFTP - SSH File transfer protocol,
server sitesuser.rootsweb.com, port 22, server directory
/herz/genealogy_html
I don't recall where I got that from but have a note in my filezilla:
sitesuser.rootsweb.com  (52.86.148.35).

It appears 52.86.148.35 is down?

IP Lookup
https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/52.86.148.35
IP Details For: 52.86.148.35
Decimal:878089251
Hostname:ec2-52-86-148-35.compute-1.amazonaws.com
ASN:14618
ISP:Amazon Technologies Inc.
Services:Datacenter
Assignment:Likely Static IP
Country:United States
State/Region:Virginia
City:Ashburn
Latitude:39.0395 (39° 2′ 22.11″ N)
Longitude:-77.4918 (77° 29′ 30.50″ W)

Online Ping:
https://tools.iplocation.net/ping
PING sitesuser.rootsweb.com
Result:
PING sitesuser.rootsweb.com (52.86.148.35) 56(84) bytes of data.
--- sitesuser.rootsweb.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 9117ms

https://isdown.me/52.86.148.35
52.86.148.35 seems to be down!

My freepages website is listed in the Rootsweb index and it's online.

Someone wrote the reply from ancestry was "RootsWeb has been a US only
property website, therefore, servers outside the US has been blocked".
US only property website? Wouldn't that mean .us domain rather than
.com? In all those years I've never had a problem connecting, and never
needed a VPN. Could someone more knowledgeable than me please tell me
what I am doing wrong, or explain how to connect via VPN using Filezilla?

Thank you,

Mary

Barry Carlson

Oct 30, 2023, 5:35:16 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Mary-Ann,

Your reported - "Error:Network error:Software caused connection abort"

- is not something that has commonly been reported.  The response with functioning software is similar to the following:-

22:07:43    Status:    Waiting to retry...
22:07:48    Status:    Connecting to sitesuser.rootsweb.com...
22:07:48    Response:    fzSftp started, protocol_version=11
22:07:48    Command:    open "bris...@sitesuser.rootsweb.com" 22
22:07:48    Error:    Could not connect to server

It does appear to me that your FileZilla software probably needs updating, but the problem may also be with the version of Windows you are using.

Also be aware that not all current users of the rootsweb.com server are able access it directly, as it appears that some ISPs routing traffic through various Domain Name Servers are running foul of suspected Denial of Service protection that has been implemented server-side.

The alternative is to use routing via a VPN located in some server friendly location within the USA. In short, a Virtual Private Network is where you connect directly to a server located somewhere else which the redirects to the URL you are seeking. So before you do anything else, go to:-

https://protonvpn.com/free-vpn

... follow the instructions and connect to a USA site.  If that doesn't work, your problem lies with your software, i.e. Windows platform or FileZilla.

Barry

St Joseph Island Historical Society

Oct 30, 2023, 8:46:57 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I may be totally wrong, muddling through myself but should this line
server directory
/herz/genealogy_html

perhaps be
herz/genealogy.html