Rootsweb Freepages Help

jake...@aol.com

Nov 1, 2023, 6:15:47 PM11/1/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

I'm not very technical.   I looked on YouTube to see if there was any video on the steps that have been talked about here and could not find anything.  Does anyone know of such a source?    I have written to the Allen County Genealogy library who do a lot of genealogy programs an asked if it might be a program they could do.   It may be too late for them to put together.

Thanks
Marilyn Jacobs
Indianapolis, IN

Ron Lankshear

Nov 2, 2023, 12:14:21 AM11/2/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
If you are talking about how to publish
Then Pat Geary's sites are the best as I copied from your note which came from the group
I do not of any YouTube
Perhaps that is video on how to FileZilla

Website FAQs:
https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html

Blessings from Ron Lankshear

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

Del/Kathy Sperling

Nov 2, 2023, 5:29:36 PM11/2/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

To Marilyn and others:

I received the following information  from Rootsweb and was finally able to change email and password and connect with my webpage again!!!  After I wrote them at rwsu...@ancestry.com

And they included this link.  https://www.ancestryacademy.com/videos/how-to-connect-to-rootsweb-sites-with-filezilla

Maybe this will help you, Kathy

"For you to update your database, here are the admin access instructions:

1. You will need to verify your email address and create a new password. Please use this link to create a new password,

https://home.rootsweb.com/useraccount/requestChangePassword

Enter the email address on the account, check the "I'm not a robot" box and answer the reCAPTCHA as needed.

Go directly to your email account and look for a verification email from "nor...@rootsweb.com". These emails do expire. If you don't receive it immediately please check your spam or junk folder and make sure also that all emails from RootsWeb are not blocked on your communication settings. . Open the email and click the link inside to be taken to the page where you change your password.

Passwords must be between 10 and 32 characters long and must contain at least:

One uppercase letter,
One lowercase letter,
One number, and
One of the following special characters only: _ ! @ # ( )

A good example of this is: RootsWeb1!

Please check the box to accept the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statement. Once you have done that you can access your site.

PLEASE NOTE: If your new password contains more than 10 characters, you must paste it into the FileZilla password field; do not type it in.

2. You can download the free FileZilla Client to use as your site manager, here:

https://www.filezilla-project.org.

Make sure to download the Client and not the Server. If you prefer to use a different site manager, you may use any FTP client to access the site as long as it supports the current version of SFTP. We no longer support Fileman, however.

3. To fill in your dashboard fields:

HOST: sitesuser.rootsweb.com - make sure you put in "sites" plural - copying and pasting this sftp host link into your dashboard is ideal.

PORT: 22
USER:

PASS: Enter your new password. NOTE: If your password contains more than 10 characters, you must paste it into the password field; do not type it in.

If you are using FileZilla, we encourage you to watch this short video that will show you how to access your site and move your files:

https://www.ancestryacademy.com/videos/how-to-connect-to-rootsweb-sites-with-filezilla

That should get you all set up and running again. Welcome back to RootsWeb!

?If there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.

JL
RootsWeb Support Team
http://rootsweb.ancestry.com

Mary Richardson

Nov 4, 2023, 7:42:52 PM11/4/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this.  I tried these instructions, but they don't work if you can't verify the email address.  In my case our webmaster is elderly and incommunicado.  He certainly can't reply to the confirmation email.  My only option is to contact rwsu...@ancestry.com and pray that they'll transfer control of https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~ainsty/history/index.html to me.

At 05:29 PM 11/2/2023, Del/Kathy Sperling wrote:
[...]

2. You can download the free FileZilla Client to use as your site manager, here:Â

https://www.filezilla-project.org.

Make sure to download the Client and not the Server. If you prefer to use a different site manager, you may use any FTP client to access the site as long as it supports the current version of SFTP. We no longer support Fileman, however.

3. To fill in your dashboard fields:

HOST: sitesuser.rootsweb.com - make sure you put in "sites" plural - copying and pasting this sftp host link into your dashboard is ideal.Â

PORT: 22
USER:

PASS: Enter your new password. NOTE: If your password contains more than 10 characters, you must paste it into the password field; do not type it in.

If you are using FileZilla, we encourage you to watch this short video that will show you how to access your site and move your files:

https://www.ancestryacademy.com/videos/how-to-connect-to-rootsweb-sites-with-filezilla

That should get you all set up and running again. Welcome back to RootsWeb!Â

?If there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.
JL
RootsWeb Support Team
http://rootsweb.ancestry.com

On 11/1/2023 5:15 PM, 'jake...@aol.com' via RootsWeb-Website-Help wrote:
Hi -Â
I have a site on Freepages.   https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~urbana/genealogy/Beghtel_Oliver/Beghtel_Olivex.html

I'm not very technical.   I looked on YouTube to see if there was any video on the steps that have been talked about here and could not find anything.  Does anyone know of such a source?    I have written to the Allen County Genealogy library who do a lot of genealogy programs an asked if it might be a program they could do.   It may be too late for them to put together. Â

Thanks
Marilyn Jacobs
Indianapolis, IN  Â
--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

pen...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2023, 5:17:54 PM11/5/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
They did change my email from an old one I could no longer use when I verified my website name and old email.   Kathy

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 4, 2023, at 6:42 PM, Mary Richardson <mric...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

 Thanks for this.  I tried these instructions, but they don't work if you can't verify the email address.  In my case our webmaster is elderly and incommunicado.  He certainly can't reply to the confirmation email.  My only option is to contact rwsu...@ancestry.com and pray that they'll transfer control of https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~ainsty/history/index.html to me.

Catherine Sentz

Dec 21, 2023, 10:19:54 AM12/21/23
to RootsWeb-Website-Help
The person who created 2 websites passed this month.   There are two of us that she wanted our contact info on her home pages,  one of us for each. We are able to get into the one site, but the password that we had for th eother is not working.  Will the directions above work if we know her e-mail address and change over to a new site manager with a different e-mail address?