Deleted RW websites

Dick Halsey

Oct 28, 2023, 5:10:34 PM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
    It was a good run... but I just deleted all the remaining pages off
my Rootsweb account (~NYMonroe). Mostly it just had re-directs to my
current website. It now comes up as a 403.
    Should I send an email to RootsWeb/Ancestry and ask them to delete
the directory? Or do you think they don't really care?

Dick Halsey
Monroe Co., NY GenWeb (mcnygenealogy.com)

Ron Lankshear

Oct 29, 2023, 12:25:20 AM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I really do not understand why so many are deleting their pages.
I am grateful to Rootsweb for the project in the first place and to Ancestry for continuing.
For business reasons of some of sort they do not want any more updates.
I am happy if they keep the data I have and show it
Most of it is a discussion as to why I picked certain records and people
And In some cases I have linked pages to my Tree also on Ancestry.

I am not deleting mine. But it is your choice,

Blessings from Ron

Dave Naylor

Oct 29, 2023, 5:48:21 PM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
If you really want to leave empty directories I would just add an index.html file that redirects/forwards to your current web site (with no time delay).  Also add the same file as an index.htm.  Do this for every empty directory under NYMonroe.  You may as well grab the traffic.   :-)

The same applies to any empty directories anyone may have access to.  I noticed that Sandra is using https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~folp/history/museumtourguide but both her root directory and the history one generate 404s so both need index files pointing to museumtourguide's index.  Furthermore her museumtourguide directory should have an index.htm directing to index.html because Ancestry hasn't got the domain set up to do it automatically.

Cheers! -- Dave
--
David Naylor
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

delorw...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2023, 7:23:39 PM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com, delor...@comcast.net

I’m with Ron on this matter. I don’t know why so many people are deleting their sites entirely from Rootsweb, at least their family sites, anyway. While I’m a member of the NCGenWeb/USGenWeb projects where our State long ago moved our sites from RW and are on our own servers where my counties are located, but I also have a Freepages site for my personal research which I’ve had there for 10 or 11 years. It was once linked to my WorldConnect tree where the families I researched could be seen, but of course I finally removed those links when Ancestry destroyed that site.  However, the information on my Freepages is still good, there is lots of good research and records for those who come across it in the future, and I see no reason to remove the site. Ancestry says they are going to archive the sites sometime next year, and while, like everything having to do with Ancestry, we have no guarantee when or where they are going to do that, I think it will be a good thing for the site to stay online for whatever amount of time it can.

Deloris Williams

NCGenWeb Counties:

Franklin, Granville, Halifax, Person, Vance, Warren, Wilkes

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html