min-content-html5

Barry Carlson

Feb 6, 2024, 4:26:56 AMFeb 6
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Some time ago I experimented with the min-content concept, and in the process created a page featuring 'Tall Ships' that were in or associated with the "Tall Ships Race 1960" from Oslo, Norway to Ostende, Belgium.  I mention the 'min-content' because it allows one to upload images that will auto respond to the width that has been provided, use that and display the height proportionately.  Any text inserted falls into place where associated with each image, but should Ctrl + be used by the viewer, the images will retain their displayed proportions, but the text only will respond.

I've decided that the content irrespective of the display capabilities mentioned is worth keeping, so I have uploaded the page to:-

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~bristowe/nostalgia/

for those interested in the concept (and even the content) to view.

I've currently got a description of the the actual race in the pipe-line, and will add a page describing that shortly.  My interest in this event is elementary, i.e. I was there and sailed on the Belgian vessel - "Mercator". Yep; I'm just about to end my 81st year on the planet.

Barry

Bill Walsh

Feb 6, 2024, 7:15:35 AMFeb 6
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
In the picture of the "Mercator" off Sandy Hook, New Jersey, she is flying the flag of the USofA.

--
“The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure.”
― Albert Einstein

Barry Carlson

Feb 6, 2024, 6:13:35 PMFeb 6
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

That is known as a "courtesy flag", i.e.  a ship entering the port of another State flies the flag of that State at the top of its foremast.  In the case of the "Mercator", it is doing just that, and the Belgian flag is flown at the stern or from the outer end of the mizzen sail gaff.

Barry

Valerie lirakis

Feb 7, 2024, 3:51:21 AMFeb 7
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Barry, love the images.  As regards your age, it's strange, isn't it, that we get a mental picture of someone we've never met.  I've always thought of you as being in your mid-50's/early 60's. I now have a completely different picture of you! (from one octogenarian to another).

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html