unable to login with FileZilla 2

Colin Bye

Aug 30, 2023, 8:05:00 AM8/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
My thanks to those who tried logging into sitesuser.rootsweb.com

Reading my email again I realise that I had not clearly said what I
wanted. So try again.

Please could someone try to connect using FileZilla and my user code
cbye. You don't need my password as the sftp program reports an error
before it asks for a password. So any random string of characters will
do for the password.

Many thanks

Colin Bye

Roger Goodman

Aug 30, 2023, 9:04:09 AM8/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Colin,

OK, I gave it shot, using my Rootsweb config, but putting cbye in the user field.  Results:

Error:    Authentication failed.

Error:    Critical error: Could not connect to server

When I tried to connect, the login was still set to use my password.  I can't tell whether the Access denied is being generated before RootWeb checks the password (could go either way).

I hope that helps.

Roger

Pat Geary

Aug 30, 2023, 9:05:49 AM8/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Roger and Colin, I tired it without entering the password and get the same error message.

Pat

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html

beth.dj...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2023, 1:07:17 PM8/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Same here. But, the errors

"Access denied / Authentication failed"

make sense if your account needs a password and one is not entered.