Account oddity

1 view

Timothy Stowell

Jan 23, 2024, 3:41:26 AMJan 23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
So I have a county account on Rootsweb that I have FTP access to. I can download files just fine but I can delete any files which seems strange as files in another account I have seem to have the same file tags of r, w, d on them and I have been able to delete files from other accounts.

Wondering has anyone else run across this issue?

Tim Stowell

Roger Goodman

Jan 23, 2024, 7:46:46 AMJan 23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Tim,
I'm wondering if you meant "can't delete any files", because "can delete any files" is a normal operation.  The file "tags" (attributes) r, w, and d are read, write, and directory (x for execute is missing here).

One possible explanation, not verified in any way, is that Rootsweb is starting their process to make Freepages read-only, and this particular county has been caught in the early stages of this process.  This is just a guess on my part - I do not know that Rootsweb has started the process yet.  I was able to get into my site on Saturday, and still make changes.  I don't remember my Unix/Linux rwx attributes well enough to know if you need execute permission to be able to delete a file/directory.
Roger

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html

Timothy Stowell

Jan 23, 2024, 10:41:30 AMJan 23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Roger,

You are correct that I should have said - I can't delete any files.  I was in other accounts last night / this morning, deleting files except in this one account.

I have not tried to upload, which I suppose I can do with a test file to see if that would work.

Tim