unable to login with FileZilla

Colin Bye

Aug 29, 2023, 10:43:44 AM8/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to login to my website - cbye - using FileZilla but I get the
following

Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=8
Command: open "cb...@sitesuser.rootsweb.com" 22
Error: Connection reset by peer
Error: Could not connect to server

I've contacted rootsweb but the response was not helpful.

I was able to login back in May.

My suspicion is that something has changed at the rootsweb end.

Please could someone try to connect using FileZilla and send me the results.

If someone has access to the linux command line program sftp, please
could they try the following command

sftp -v cb...@sitesuser.rootsweb.com

and again send me the results.

You don't need my password as the problem occurs here before sftp asks
for a password.

Many thanks

Colin Bye

Roger Goodman

Aug 29, 2023, 11:10:37 AM8/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Colin,

I just connected to my Freepages with no problems - maybe even faster
than usual. I don't have SFTP on my Linux server (that's where I'm
running FileZilla).

Good luck!

Roger

Pat Geary

Aug 29, 2023, 11:14:27 AM8/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

I also connected with no problem using Filezilla.

Brian Sutton

Aug 29, 2023, 11:27:26 AM8/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I also have not been able to connect, for a few months now. Still waiting for a response from Rootsweb help desk.

I'm using FileZilla v. 3.65.0

I get the error:

Status:     Connecting to sitesuser.rootsweb.com...
Response:   fzSftp started, protocol_version=11
Command:    open "philpo...@sitesuser.rootsweb.com" 22
Error:      Could not connect to server
Status:     Waiting to retry...
Status:     Connecting to sitesuser.rootsweb.com...
Response:   fzSftp started, protocol_version=11
Aug 29, 2023, 11:39:00 AM8/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I just logged in now no trouble.

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

beth.dj...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 11:47:16 AM8/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Hi Colin,

I was able to connect a few minutes ago. FWIW, I'm using FileZilla version 3.55.1

I did get a warning pop-up and I clicked OK;

Everything appears to be as expected, but, in addition to the folder that holds my site files, there are 8 more folders (all empty) that I did not create, all with a last modified  date of 9/9/2018;

/college-alumni_html

/family_html

/folklore_html

/history_html

/military_html

/misc_html

/religions_html

/school-alumni_html

Regards, beth

--

image002.png

Barry Carlson

Aug 29, 2023, 4:39:56 PM8/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I am rather late in answering this query, but you might find the
following interesting.

Currently the time here in New Zealand is 0840 NZST on Wednesday
morning, which explains why I didn't respond 6 hours ago.

However, I have the same problem connecting to the siteuser.rootsweb.com
servers.  I thought about the problem for a few minutes and came to the
conclusion that the RW servers may have been under a Denial of Service
attack at some stage, and some route blocking has been put in place.  If
that was the case, I had the ability to check it out using the services
of a VPN (Virtual Private Network).  I then connected to a VPN server in
Phoenix, AZ and then connected to the RW servers using FileZilla
immediately.

Barry

Brian Sutton

Aug 30, 2023, 12:50:47 PM8/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Barry,

I was also thinking thru the issue and figured similar. I'm in Germany, since my shopping is a bit limited to on base or not much choices on the economy, I enjoyed online shopping. That is until about 6 years ago Germany instituted new rules and many American businesses did not comply and subsequently wouldn't allow connections from many foreign countries (maybe just Germany). A solution was VPN or shopping proxy, but I never went route 'cuz of the additional costs.

I figured there must have been security changes on the Ancestry Rootsweb servers, and hopefully they would give me a solution, ... still waiting.................

BINGO - Your VPN solution worked first time I downloaded a VPN and tried it.

THANK YOU

Brian

Aug 30, 2023, 3:16:09 PM8/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Barry,

I passed your suggestion along to a gal in the Expression Web Facebook
group who is also located in the UK. Worked perfectly for her.

Pat

Barry Carlson

Aug 30, 2023, 5:26:31 PM8/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Brian Sutton & Patricia Geary,

Thanks for your confirmations. There may be a cost involved in using a
VPN, but I suspect that Ancestry will be reluctant to allow their
servers to become too accessible to DoS attacks.

Barry

June Byrne

Oct 24, 2023, 10:44:32 AM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
My understanding at the moment  is that even very complicated measures are not working.  No one is getting onto their sites.  If there is a method that is working, I hope someone will pop up and tell everyone.

June
--
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

beth.dj...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2023, 11:53:51 AM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

June,

I’ve not seen a solution posted yet.

Here's the page where they state we have until early 2024 to do something;

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/Retiring-and-Migrating-Portions-of-RootsWeb

On that page you'll see a contact us link. Go there and fill out the form.

In the description box, provide;

your IP address (go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/)

The errors you got when you tried to connect (don't paraphrase, copy/paste from the FTP client window)

Within about 24 hours, you should get an email from them with a case#, and they may ask you for screen shots of your FTP client showing your connection information and the error.

beth