URL / subdomain names

Timothy Stowell

Feb 2, 2024, 2:09:26 PMFeb 2
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
So in trying to set up sites elsewhere, rather than having a run-on name so people can remember a site easier, I believe there are caveats to such.

I'm fairly certain that a domain or subdomain can't have apostrophes in the name.  What I can't remember is using the example of - mydogbites,

if one does it this way: my-dog-bites

or this way - my_dog_bites

if such creates a problem for operating systems - Mac versus PC versus Linux or just for browsers?

Tim Stowell

Gina Heffernan

Feb 2, 2024, 4:55:58 PMFeb 2
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
It depends on the server and how it's set up and your personal preferences but I like mydogbites. With my_dog_bites, there is the added issue of having to use the shift key. With my-dog-bites, you can't double-click it to select it.

Gina Heffernan
Rusk County, Texas

Since you can be anything ... be kind.

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html

Pat Asher

Feb 2, 2024, 5:24:16 PMFeb 2
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Domain/subdomain names may contain the letters a-z, numbers 0-9, and the hyphen. The same is true for sub-directories, which are not the same as subdomains, e.g.

mydogbites.mydomain.com vs.
mydomain.com/mydogbites

Browsers may try to interpret unallowed characters such as spaces, e.g.by replacing the space with "%20," but letters, numbers and the special character hyphen are the only reliable characters for domains, folders, and files on the web.

Pat Asher