My friend needs to join

June Byrne

Oct 24, 2023, 5:00:59 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I gave her what I thought was the address but I was wrong.

????

June Byrne

Barry Carlson

Oct 24, 2023, 5:03:47 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

The address is:- rw-website-he...@googlegroups.com.

Barry

Barry Carlson

Oct 24, 2023, 5:06:33 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Well, that is obviously wrong!

I'll sort it out shortly.

Barry

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html

Barry Carlson

Oct 24, 2023, 5:24:53 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Write to the following address, and add Request to Join in Subject line along with any relevant details in the body.

rw-website-...@googlegroups.com

Hopefully I've got it right this time.

Barry

June Byrne

Oct 24, 2023, 5:31:24 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.  I knew it was complicated but I failed the memory test.  I was about ready to write to one of the people I know own the list.  But I was hopeful to avoid that.

I will forward you email to her.

June

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

goochland...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2023, 6:59:03 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

This evening after not being able to update my rootsweb site since last week,  I was able to log in and update it so everyone will need to check to see if they also can log in.

Joe Crouch

Lexington, KY

Ron Lankshear

Oct 24, 2023, 7:10:11 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Joe it is working
Failed and then I used VPN and Coreftp connected

Blessings from Ron Lankshear

Pat Asher

Oct 24, 2023, 7:15:24 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Joe, I was also able to login. Haven't tried to upload a file, but I assume that will work also.

Thank you to everyone who helped goad Ancestry into paying attention to the issue.

Pat Asher

Barry Carlson

Oct 24, 2023, 7:17:21 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Yes.  Also managed to connect, but had to use a VPN.

Barry

-------------------------------

Pat Asher

Oct 24, 2023, 7:20:34 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
A US VPN?

Pat Asher

Barry Carlson

Oct 24, 2023, 7:22:13 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Yes, connected through a VPN in Phoenix AZ

Pat Geary

Oct 24, 2023, 7:36:05 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

Well, well, well, finally. And I can even upload a file.

Pag G.

beth.dj...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2023, 8:11:58 PM10/24/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

YES! Finally able to connect thank gawd. Deleted everything.

See this page if you know you had a folder but aren’t certain you recall the name;

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~rootswebsiteindex/

Mine was a freepages folder, so on the above page, I clicked “freepages”, then “genealogy”, then the first letter of my account name, which is “e”, then found my account name and clicked on the “Welcome Main” link next to it (my site’s opening page), which produced error;

"This page isn't available to you!"

So that’s that.

Hope you all are able to delete or update your pages.

beth

Carol Regehr

Oct 25, 2023, 12:21:42 AM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Just wow! I tried it just now and got my entire folder from Rootsweb onto my own hard drive. The links mostly work.

Thank you all for sticking with this!

Carol

Yvonne Bowers

Oct 25, 2023, 1:38:25 AM10/25/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Yes, connected using Filezilla Pro finally.  Sent my help ticket two days ago, sent in my IP and screenshot.  All good now.

JL Volker

Oct 26, 2023, 7:04:39 PM10/26/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I, too received notification from Rootsweb. The squeaky wheel did get the grease. Thanks to all who reached out to support. I was able to download all my pages. I am beyond thrilled that they fixed it. I knew it wasn't on our end.

St Joseph Island Historical Society

Oct 27, 2023, 11:02:57 AM10/27/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I have a question. I understand links won't work to other sites but will our menus work for other sections of our site? Eg: obits a-e f- l

Gina Heffernan

Oct 27, 2023, 12:25:28 PM10/27/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
ALL of your links will still work. The only difference is that you won't be able to make any changes to your site. So, if you have a link to a page on my website and I delete that page - your link will always be there pointing to a page that no longer exists. If someone clicks that link, they'll get a 404 error (we couldn't find that page).

Gina Heffernan
Rusk County, Texas

Since you can be anything ... be kind.

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 10:02 AM St Joseph Island Historical Society <sji...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a question. I understand links won't work to other sites but will our menus work for other sections of our site? Eg: obits a-e f- l

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

St Joseph Island Historical Society

Oct 27, 2023, 12:31:51 PM10/27/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much. I have removed all external links.  Just wasn't sure on menu links to my own site.

Charlie Towne

Oct 27, 2023, 12:55:28 PM10/27/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
On 10/27/2023 11:02 AM, St Joseph Island Historical Society wrote:

> I have a question. I understand links won't work to other sites but will
> our menus work for other sections of our site? Eg: obits a-e f- l

This same question was asked on Oct 16.

First, links to other (i.e., external) sites should work the same as
they do now. Of course, like Gina said, if the address of the external
web site changes, the link will no longer work. And since you won't be
able to update your RootsWeb site, you won't be able to update the link
to the external site.

As for menus at your RootsWeb site, I can't imagine that they wouldn't
work, as long as you're using relative addresses.

BUT - I just looked at the HTML source file for your main page, and for
most (but not all) of the links there you're using absolute addresses,
not relative addresses. For example, the link for "MAPS" uses the
address "https://sites.rootsweb.com/~sjihsocy/map.htm." Addresses that
start with "https" are absolute addresses, giving the full path name to
the link target.

On the other hand, the link for "OBITUARIES" uses the address
"SJHS%20OBITS.htm. That's a relative address, i.e., the path to the link
target doesn't start with "https," it's relative to the location of the
file where the link occurs.

I suspect all these absolute addresses (i.e., starting with "https")
will still work. But if Ancestry changes the top-level name to something
different from "sites.rootsweb.com," and doesn't automatically re-direct
requests for that file, those links will be broken.

To be safe, you might want to go through your HTML source files and
change to relative addresses for all your internal links.

--
Charlie Towne
ceto...@gmail.com

St Joseph Island Historical Society

Oct 27, 2023, 2:32:52 PM10/27/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Charlie, appreciate the help

Bernie Crosby
Secretary

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

June Byrne

Oct 28, 2023, 9:02:16 AM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
There is one problem  that maybe some of you are not considering.  I started my site on FreePages some 15 years ago.  I used that location because I had deadly cancer and I wanted someplace to leave my research  where where it would be available to all.

What happens to your site when you pass away?  Your site dies if you are paying for it.  I would imagine that hundreds of sites on freepages will be in that category  already. Please think of the future.  Leave your research to future generations.

June Byrne
[Cancer still with me.]

St Joseph Island Historical Society

Oct 28, 2023, 9:32:50 AM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for that June and so glad you're still here. Yes, our site was started about 25 or so years ago.  I've trimmed it removing any menus directing to other sites. I'll fix what I can, update where I can, and leave for the future.  We are a small historical society. And still many don't know we exist.

Bill Walsh

Oct 28, 2023, 9:59:34 AM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Sorry that your still not cancer free. Prayers to you and yours.

Your pleas will do no good. I have said the same thing for years and no one listens. I absolutely hate that Rootsweb is closing down after all the promises when Ancestry took it over. However, it is what it is. Whatever I have is posted on Rootsweb and will be forever, I hope. That is the best I can do to try to preserve my research into the future. I am not able to leave a large sum of money in trust to pay for hosting into the future as I doubt many can. AND, if they do what happens when the hosting company goes up in smoke.

All we can do is hope. My hope is that Rootsweb is going to be preserved as it is far into the future.

For those that choose another path, well, "Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances."

On 10/28/23 08:02, 'June Byrne' via RootsWeb-Website-Help wrote:
There is one problem  that maybe some of you are not considering.  I started my site on FreePages some 15 years ago.  I used that location because I had deadly cancer and I wanted someplace to leave my research  where where it would be available to all.

What happens to your site when you pass away?  Your site dies if you are paying for it.  I would imagine that hundreds of sites on freepages will be in that category  already. Please think of the future.  Leave your research to future generations.

June Byrne
[Cancer still with me.]

--
On a good day, most Americans wonder how their leaders made it through the birth canal.
-John Kennedy (R-LA)

June Byrne

Oct 28, 2023, 10:04:42 AM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
If you are in touch with someone who really cares about the research, you might consider downloading from your computer or the site or give them the password and let them do it.  It is not hard if you have the knowledge. Nobody knows what will happen to our research in even 5  years.

June

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

Charles Dobie

Oct 28, 2023, 10:29:09 AM10/28/23
to 'June Byrne' via RootsWeb-Website-Help
The issue of our own mortality seems to escape many genealogists even though we deal with mortality every time we look at a record. Maybe we deal with so many deaths that we become immune to the idea it will happen to us.

Nothing is permanent -- the tragedy of Rootsweb has surely proved that. I'm lucky that I had the skills to move my websites from Rootsweb to my own paid domains, in the early days of the shutdown, but it still leaves the question of what will happen to them when I'm gone and the hosting bills aren't paid. I thought I'd solved the problem when a few years ago I asked various museums if they would take over a website of interest to them, and I had an enthusiastic response, but it soon became clear they had little or no idea what is involved. In other words, they liked the 'idea' of running a website, but many of them seem to think it's not much different than 'running' a cell phone. It also became clear that most museums are run by volunteers, many of whom are elderly and may have no expertise or interest in maintaining websites.

I think the reality is you -- we, me -- must print off hard copies of our data -- all the listings, photos, research notes, etc. -- and hand the bundle off to the relevant historical society AND library AND museum AND family members, and hope that at least one of them will save our stuff and pass it on or let future researchers look at it. There's nothing else mere humans like us can do, and to agonize over it is useless, so keep calm and carry on!

Charlie Dobie

Bill Walsh

Oct 28, 2023, 10:33:49 AM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
At this point in time no one cares much. I have thought about giving each a DVD with all my research but it would probably get lost and trashed. Perhaps some time in the future someone will care. Best I can hope for.

In the not so distant past two of my family tree major research sites went dark. Using whatever resources I could i pieced them back together again losing, to the best of my knowledge, only a few pictures on one and posted them on my Rootsweb site. The other the combined family tree from all the researchers over the years was lost. It's buried somewhere in the bowels of Ancestry/Rootsweb with no access. The original links from the site don't work for some reason. Just goes to Ancestry. I think it is now behind the "pay wall".

For pay hosting doesn't host when the pay stops.

On 10/28/23 09:04, 'June Byrne' via RootsWeb-Website-Help wrote:
If you are in touch with someone who really cares about the research, you might consider downloading from your computer or the site or give them the password and let them do it.  It is not hard if you have the knowledge. Nobody knows what will happen to our research in even 5  years.

June

June Byrne

Oct 28, 2023, 10:46:23 AM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Interesting ideas. In my case it is too late.

June

St Joseph Island Historical Society

Oct 28, 2023, 11:11:57 AM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
So if the absolute address points to rootsweb, is the relative address pointing to my computer where this whole site also is? Sorry I'm a programmer in no way, just blundering along.

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023, 12:55 p.m. Charlie Towne <ceto...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

Bill Walsh

Oct 28, 2023, 1:32:23 PM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
On 10/28/23 09:46, 'June Byrne' via RootsWeb-Website-Help wrote:
Interesting ideas. In my case it is too late.

June

As long as there is breath it is never to late.

Instead of printing all that out save a tree or two and burn to DVD(s) and donate. Nice, well labeled, cases and a nice, well labeled, box/case would probably be greatly appreciated. That way it could be cataloged much like a book and sit on their shelves for future reference.

What would I put in my box.

My research of course. HTML direct from my website should be one method. A GEDCOM of course. That should be able to be easily downloaded and taken home to install in a genealogy program.  Scanned PDF's of my hand notes. Maybe individual PNG's or JPG's also. Scanned pictures.

A while back I put "The Richardson Memorial" online. It takes my Richardson line from the original three brothers [ yes, really three brothers ] all the way down to my family through an Addendum to the original work.

My two salvaged websites of course. They contain tons of good information to my family.

Cherokee Strip Live Stock Association - My GGGrandfather was a member

Some extras. As long as there is some extra room might as well fill the box up. Being somewhat of a history buff, and realizing as I grow older that the history I was taught in school was mostly clap trap. There an old saying that, "The victors write the histories." I have posted some historical works online that don't directly affect my family.

Johnson County War

The Rise and Fall of the Confederate States of America [ three volumes ]

The Record of Fort Sumter From its occupation by Major Anderson, to its reduction by South Carolina troops, during the administration of Governor Pickens.

Reminiscences of the Civil War by a Confederate Staff Officer

A History of Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas - Being an Account of the Early Settlements, the Civil War, the Ku-Klux, and Times of Peace.

[ Not all the combatants well away from the main battles were regular military. Just about as much outlaw as anything. ]

A fun little brochure of how to drive the Oregon Trail - It comes from the Depression era so some may need a bit of interpretation after all these years. Some of the roads may have been relocated a bit over time. But if you had pioneers over the trail might be fun to follow in their footsteps.

I'm sure we have all collected some very interesting things along the journey. History tells us the times out families lived in and how they lived.

Pat Asher

Oct 28, 2023, 3:41:16 PM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Bill, Great suggestions!

Pat Asher
--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

Gina Heffernan

Oct 28, 2023, 5:54:52 PM10/28/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com, sji...@gmail.com
I created a help page for relative links a while back, you can see if maybe it will help you understand relative links.

Basically, https://sites.rootsweb.com/~sjihsocy/sjhs.htm can be broken into TWO parts,
https://sites.rootsweb.com/ is the name of the server and ~sjihsocy/sjhs.htm is the name of the folder and the file that are located on that server.

Relative links only point to your computer when they're on your computer. Once you upload them, they point to the server (sites.rootsweb.com, in this case). The basic idea behind relative links is that it doesn't matter where they are, they always point to the right location. So, if you're on your index.htm page and you have a link to sjhs.htm, it doesn't matter what the server name is.

On the other hand, https://sites.rootsweb.com/~sjihsocy/sjhs.htm ALWAYS points to that server and that page. If the server name is changed to something like staticpages.rootsweb.com or sites.ancestry.com, the link is broken.

Try this

Gina Heffernan
Rusk County, Texas

Since you can be anything ... be kind.

Bruce

Oct 29, 2023, 1:29:25 AM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
But how do we leave our research to future generations?  I am over 80 years old and have been trying to figure out how to do this for over 10 years.  I have been doing genealogy now for about 40 years.  Before Ancestry!  I have spent countless hours at the Maryland Archives from the minute they opened to the minute they closed researching primary sources.  As a result, I have built a family database with over 48,000 individuals which I believe to be the largest comprehensive and integrated data base of the early Maryland families (My ancestors were among the first settlers on the ships the Ark and the Dove who founded the colony of Maryland).  But neither the Maryland Historical Society nor the Maryland Archives seem to have any interest in my data base.

I have no surviving children but, thankfully have a nephew who is a doctor who cares about the family history.  I routinely send him revised Gedcom files.  And, thankfully, his daughter also is interested in the family history so, at least, I know that my family will have this information and the results of decades of my work at least in the near future.  But, what about access to my work for other people?  I had counted on WorldConnect to provide continuing free access to people searching for any of the people in my database.  Now, the best I can hope for is that Ancestry follows through on their promise to "eventually" provide the WorldConnect trees as a free site on their platform.  But I fear this will never happen.  I am not a computer programming expert but I am a retired university professor and research scientist who ran a large university research lab filled with computers running many very sophisticated programs.  Naturally, we had to periodically upgrade programs on these computers.  But, we NEVER deleted or rendered inoperative any programs until the upgrade or new installation was complete.  This is what I find so bizarre and frightening about Ancestry taking down WorldConnect before they had set up the mechanism to migrate the WorldConnect trees to their main site.  Why not leave WorldConnect up and running until they had established the mechanism to migrate it?  I realize that I have been talking mostly about WorldConnect and not about RootsWeb hosted trees but I think the issues are much the same.

I do have a personal family history web site on a payed site but my family tree on my web site was linked to connecting to WorldConnect.  I have changed that link to connect to my family tree on Ancestry (which I reluctantly posted) but that means that people must be an Ancestry subscriber to see.

Also, it is not possible to save my database to a DVD since it is too large and also not possible to print out since that would take more than 50,000 pages and have no index.

Any suggestions from anyone on this list as to how to put a family tree on a site that is free will be greatly appreciated!

Bruce

Bruce L. Nicholson, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences
University of Maine
Orono, Maine

Retired and now living in sunny Gold Canyon, Arizona

Personal family history web site: www.brucenicholson.net

Bruce

Oct 29, 2023, 1:40:53 AM10/29/23
to 'June Byrne' via RootsWeb-Website-Help
Hi June,

Your suggestion is a good one!!  As I mentioned in a previous reply to another post, I have a nephew who is a doctor and cares about the family history as does his daughter.  Although my Will and Trust already are set in place with this nephew as the Executor Trustee, I think he would be amenable to paying the yearly cost to keep me pay website running with the link to my family tree on Ancestry.  But, hopefully, I will live long enough to see Ancestry actually migrate the WorldConnect trees to their main site with free access and, then, I can change the link on my website back to this and not to my Ancestry posted tree.

Bruce

Bruce L. Nicholson, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences
University of Maine
Orono, Maine

Retired and now living in sunny Gold Canyon, Arizona

Personal family history web site: www.brucenicholson.net

Stan Follis

Oct 29, 2023, 6:41:49 AM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Bruce L. Nicholson,

Talk to the Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library https://acpl.lib.in.us/ 2nd largest in the USA to FamilySearch. The library is currently updating their website through the end of October so not sure what changes are coming.

**************************

https://acpl.lib.in.us/donations

Share Your Research

Share genealogy papers, books, and data

Another immediate way to support the work of The Genealogy Center is to share your research.  We welcome your contributions of papers, books, and disks of data.  In print or in digital formats, your work will not only benefit great numbers of researchers, it will also be preserved for generations to come on our shelves and web pages.  Whether it’s research articles, images of military veterans in your family history, completed books, indices to record groups large and small, or copies of the family record pages in your family Bible, all will find a good home in The Genealogy Center.  Contributions can be mailed or sent electronically directly to The Genealogy Center.

****************************

Stan Follis
Follis Families of the USA on Rootsweb - still trying to decide what to do?
Allen INGenWeb coordinator since 2009

--
Stan Follis

June Byrne

Oct 29, 2023, 9:46:01 AM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
That is pretty much my situation except I don't have children or close family who are interested. I do have distant relatives who are. I am leaving my database as is, and also have it on my computer. So I have downloaded from my computer onto an external hard drive and am mailing it to him. What else can I do? If you download the website onto an external drive and give it to your son, you will be doing a little better because he can update it as he finds more.  Hard drives come in various sizes.  If you don't have it on  your computer,  get your son or granddaughter to download it for you.

June Byrne

Alice Gedge

Oct 29, 2023, 10:53:50 AM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bruce,
I believe that you can place your research on FamilySearch.  I have uploaded a couple of files to the Pedigree Resource File.

Here is a snip from the help section on how to add a gedcom file:
Sincerely,
Alice Gedge

Oct 29, 2023, 11:17:01 AM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Is this still true?

WorldConnect family trees (last updated on 9 August 2021) will be retired on 15 April 2023 and migrated to Ancestry as a new free-access collection later in the year. For help removing a tree or its content, contact us.

Thanks.
Paul

Antoinette Waughtel Sorensen

Oct 29, 2023, 11:46:34 AM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I subscribe to WorldConnect - does that mean my website can be transferred to it, from rootsweb?
Antoinette

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

Bill Walsh

Oct 29, 2023, 12:01:41 PM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
On 10/29/23 09:53, Alice Gedge wrote:
Dear Bruce,
I believe that you can place your research on FamilySearch.  I have uploaded a couple of files to the Pedigree Resource File.

I added some of my family to Family Search a few years ago. Someone added a wife to my grandfather he didn't have. No comments from whoever added her. No source given.
--
“The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure.”
― Albert Einstein

Familytwigs

Oct 29, 2023, 12:22:19 PM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I agree. FamilySearch trees are a nightmare. I will not put anything else on them ever again, nor will I try to clean up the mess everyone has made with my people. But here, they were talking about the Pedigree Resource File. No one can change that. It will show for others, but not allow editing by anyone, and be there until the sun burns out. LOL. I intend to put a file there. I have no one interested in continuing my work. I also intend to follow the "recipe" Bruce has decided to do with his. Thank you Bruce! All of it is a good idea. Until now I had been floundering around trying to figure it all out. I'm almost 70 so I was worrying about it a lot.
I did take my site off of RootWeb after they were down for so long. I am not sorry about that.
My blog will be there, or not.

Sheri

Bill Walsh

Oct 29, 2023, 12:25:27 PM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

I added my tree to Wikitree. Any additions or changes are done collaboratively.

jecr...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2023, 1:46:11 PM10/29/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com

FamilySearch has two distinct areas.  One where you can upload your gedcom file called ‘Genealogies’ and the other called ‘Family Tree’ where FamilySearch wants only one shared common profile for each person that has come before us.

I only use the ‘FamilyTree’ section (which I suspect is what you have issues with) and by and large have found that if you write up a ‘Life Sketch’,  attach historical documents on the SOURCES tab linked to FamilySearch’s ‘Catalog’  (digitized 1950’s LDS microfilmed county records), attach PDF’s of any scanned bible records under the MEMORIES tab you can cut down on most if not all of people attaching extra children, wives, and different parents.

In the last year or so FamilySearch added a feature in Notes where you can input any Myths about the individual, check the ‘Alert box’ above the subject of the Note and a red note appears at the top of the profile stating “Important research has been done on this person.  Please read these alert notes before making changes.”   On the subject line of a lot of the Notes I’ve added is ‘MYTH’s BUSTED’ and then I number the Myth #01, Myth #02,………..as more than one Myth can apply to some who’ve gone before us.  Most people are intrigued with MYTH’s and will stop and read the Alert message before they even think about making unsupported changes.  It has stopped most from making unsupported changes, which can be addressed by clicking the ‘Follow’ button beneath the profile number.  If someone changes the profile you’ll be notified, go in and view the change and concur or disagree.  I follow FamilySearch guidelines and message the user whose imputed errant information and why it’s wrong.   Then it’s mostly a matter of going  into ‘Latest Changes’ and clicking RESTORE to undo any errant changes.

One such of my ancestors is linked in most Ancestry trees to three different yDNA lines for a son, the father, and grandfather all in the space of three generations.

My own research published to Rootsweb has been updated / corrected many times over the years.  Most recently last week where I removed a son’s wife who was incorrectly stated in a 1878 book as being the wife of his father, but two of the son and wife’s children per a minister’s record book were born two and twelve years after the death of the father.  When I realized the1878’s books error I went into their respective FamilySearch profiles and added ‘MYTH”S BUSTED’ statements to each of the profiles impacted listing the source of the original error, when the father’s will was written, and probated.  The name of the father’s wife in the will.  Then the source for the two children being born after the death of the alleged father.  Too many of us have traveled down rabbit holes created by other’s mistakes.

Joe

Oct 30, 2023, 1:42:32 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Stan,

My family has no connection to Allen County.  Nevertheless, I checked the link you sent but cannot find anything about uploading a family tree and having it viewable by the general public.

Bruce

Bruce L. Nicholson, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences
University of Maine
Orono, Maine

Retired and now living in sunny Gold Canyon, Arizona

Personal family history web site: www.brucenicholson.net

Bruce

Oct 30, 2023, 1:56:09 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
June,

Yes that is what I am doing so all my work will still be available to my family.  But I still am frustrated in not being able to find a web site where I can post my family database and have it accessible for free to anyone.

Bruce

Bruce L. Nicholson, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences
University of Maine
Orono, Maine

Retired and now living in sunny Gold Canyon, Arizona

Personal family history web site: www.brucenicholson.net

Bruce

Oct 30, 2023, 2:26:38 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com, Bruce
Hi  Alice,

I have avoided posting my family genealogy to Family Search because I do not want anyone to be able to change anything.

Your snip states in regard to a Pedigree Resource File that "Users of Family Search can then see your family history, but cannot change it".

But here is a statement on the Family Search site from just two weeks ago: "The Pedigree Resource File (PRF) is a collection of user-submitted genealogies that users uploaded to FamilySearch as GEDCOM files. You can both search this information and contribute to it. You cannot edit PRF files. You can delete a file you submitted.".

I gather this means that no one can change anything in my genealogy post BUT THAT PEOPLE CAN ADD TO IT!  IF SO, THAT IS TERRIBLE AND TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

Please correct me if I am misinterpreting this!

Bruce

Bruce L. Nicholson, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences
University of Maine
Orono, Maine

Retired and now living in sunny Gold Canyon, Arizona

Personal family history web site: www.brucenicholson.net

Ruth Mather

Oct 30, 2023, 2:34:04 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com, Bruce
One way to leave your research is to buy hosting services somewhere.  I use https://www.simplyhosting.net/ and have had my website both at rootsweb and at simplyhosting for a number of years.  My domain is http://www.matherclan.com.  Simply Hosting can walk you through the process.  I pay about $50 a year plus about $13-$14 a year for the domain name.  There are a lot of other hosting sites, too, that charge various fees, usually affordable by most people.  Some are free with ads.  I am also in my 80's but have not yet decided whether anyone should take over this site when I die, or whether to just leave a message to anyone interested to download what they want because it might go away.

Choose a good domain name and google searches will find you.
Ruth

Bruce

Oct 30, 2023, 2:37:15 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

This is why I will not post my family history on Family Search since their policy is ridiculous in that anyone can add people to your tree!

Bruce

Bruce L. Nicholson, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences
University of Maine
Orono, Maine

Retired and now living in sunny Gold Canyon, Arizona

Personal family history web site: www.brucenicholson.net

--
Website FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-hosted-web-sites.html
FTP FAQs: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/publishing-your-sites.html
To contact the owners of this group, write to rw-website-...@googlegroups.com
---

Bruce

Oct 30, 2023, 2:41:24 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com, Bruce
Hi Sherri,

Here is part of my reply to a previous post:

[...]

Bruce

Oct 30, 2023, 2:54:56 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com, Bruce
Joe,

It precisely because of these ridiculous policies of Family Search that I will NOT post my family history research on this site.

I have over 48,000 people in my database and, therefore, it is impossible to monitor all these people and enter corrections or contradict incorrect additions for all 48,000 people!

Bruce

Bruce L. Nicholson, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences
University of Maine
Orono, Maine

Retired and now living in sunny Gold Canyon, Arizona

Personal family history web site: www.brucenicholson.net

Stan Follis

Oct 30, 2023, 6:28:10 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Bruce,

Allen County is the second-largest genealogy library in the United States. People come here from all over the United States. They have information on all 50 states, with over a million items on the shelves, and add over 1,000 items a month.

They have an alphabetical Surname section: https://www.genealogycenter.info/familydb.ph

They are upgrading their website so it is difficult to find stuff right now and links are changing.  Supposed to be done at the end of October. You can ask them if they take digital family trees https://vegapromoteweb.wixsite.com/website-11/ask-genealogy-librarian.

Over 100,000 items of their printed material are digitized for Internet Archive and shared with FamilySearch https://archive.org/details/allen_county. They have been digitizing books for many years and continue doing so.

Due to family health issues, I no longer go to the library in person but follow them online.

Stan

--
Stan Follis

Stan Follis

Oct 30, 2023, 6:40:18 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Bruce,

My copy/paste dropped the ending "p" for the alphabetical surname example link: https://www.genealogycenter.info/familydb.php

They are closed today for a library staff day which I "assume" is about their website changes?

Stan
--
Stan Follis

Charlie Towne

Oct 30, 2023, 9:50:45 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
On 10/30/2023, Bruce wrote:

> I have avoided posting my family genealogy to Family Search because I do
> not want anyone to be able to change anything.
>
> Your snip states in regard to a Pedigree Resource File that "Users of
> Family Search can then see your family history, but cannot change it".
>
> But here is a statement on the Family Search site from just two weeks
> ago:"The Pedigree Resource File (PRF) is a collection of user-submitted
> genealogies that users uploaded to FamilySearch as GEDCOM files. You can
> both search this information and *_contribute to it_*. You cannot edit
> PRF files. You can delete a file you submitted.".
>
> I gather this means that no one can change anything in my genealogy post
> BUT THAT PEOPLE CAN ADD TO IT!  IF SO, THAT IS TERRIBLE AND TOTALLY
> UNACCEPTABLE!
>
> Please correct me if I am misinterpreting this!

Yes, you're misinterpreting this. The FamilySearch Family Tree, and the
Pedigree Resource File are two different things.

The FamilySearch Family Tree is by design a shared collaborative tree.
Anyone can add info, delete info, etc. There is no concept of "my tree."

The Pedigree Resource File is not a single file, or tree. It's a
searchable collection of separate, independent, GEDCOM files. "Anyone
can contribute to it" means anyone can submit a GEDCOM file to the
collection. No one (including you as I understand it) can make any
changes to a GEDCOM file you've submitted. And no one except you can
delete a file you submitted.

Personally, I would never use the FamilySearch Family Tree, for the same
reasons you object to. I also haven't submitted a GEDCOM file to the
Pedigree Resource File collection, but might at some point.

--
Charlie Towne
ceto...@gmail.com

Sheri Brock Bush

Oct 30, 2023, 10:36:49 AM10/30/23
to RootsWeb-Website-Help
You cannot add or remove anything from a Pedigree Resource File. It is safe from any work, other than if you upload a new one to replace it. Here is the FS page talking about it.

They can look but not touch :>)

Charlie Towne

Oct 30, 2023, 11:54:48 AM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
On 10/30/2023 10:36 AM, Sheri Brock Bush wrote:

> You cannot add or remove anything from a Pedigree Resource File. It is
> safe from any work, other than if you upload a new one to replace it.
> Here is the FS page talking about it.
>
> Pedigree Resource File • FamilySearch
> <https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Pedigree_Resource_File>
>
> They can look but not touch :>)

I think that's what I said (or at least intended to say). I also think
the terminology used by FamilySearch is unnecessarily confusing.

Quoting from the web page you've cited, "Pedigree Resource File (PRF) is
a collection of user submitted genealogies" (i.e., GEDCOM files). So,
anyone can add to what FamilySearch calls the "Pedigree Resource File,"
by submitting a GEDCOM file. Indeed, that's how it was created, and
continues to grow.

IMO it should be called something like "Pedigree Resource Collection."
It shouldn't be thought of as a single file, but as a collection of many
user-submitted GEDCOM files. In computer terms, it's a folder containing
lots of GEDCOM files.

Anyone can add a new GEDCOM file to the Collection, but no one can
modify any of the GEDCOM files in the Collection.

--
Charlie Towne
ceto...@gmail.com

Familytwigs

Oct 30, 2023, 12:26:51 PM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Charlie,
Oh, sorry. You did say that. I think it was Bruce that said you could add to it and I was really trying to reply to him. Your message is the one I clicked on. I was wrong.
You are right about what they should have called it. I just wanted to leave a file online, accessible but unchangeable. I had not planned on creating a site, though it is very attractive to me. I loved the interaction the site brought.

Sheri

Bill Walsh

Oct 30, 2023, 1:59:58 PM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
On 10/30/23 08:50, Charlie Towne wrote:
> On 10/30/2023, Bruce wrote:
>

>> I have avoided posting my family genealogy to Family Search because I
>> do not want anyone to be able to change anything.
>>
>> Your snip states in regard to a Pedigree Resource File that "Users of
>> Family Search can then see your family history, but cannot change it".
>>
>> But here is a statement on the Family Search site from just two weeks
>> ago:"The Pedigree Resource File (PRF) is a collection of
>> user-submitted genealogies that users uploaded to FamilySearch as
>> GEDCOM files. You can both search this information and *_contribute
>> to it_*. You cannot edit PRF files. You can delete a file you
>> submitted.".
>>
>> I gather this means that no one can change anything in my genealogy
>> post BUT THAT PEOPLE CAN ADD TO IT!  IF SO, THAT IS TERRIBLE AND
>> TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!
>>
>> Please correct me if I am misinterpreting this!
>

> Yes, you're misinterpreting this. The FamilySearch Family Tree, and
> the Pedigree Resource File are two different things.
>
> The FamilySearch Family Tree is by design a shared collaborative tree.
> Anyone can add info, delete info, etc. There is no concept of "my tree."
Then it is NOT collaborative. "Collaborative" means that people work
TOGETHER and agree on any changes. Not just arbitrarily add people
wherever they want without any discussion, as happened to my grandfather.

Charlie Towne

Oct 30, 2023, 2:57:59 PM10/30/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
On 10/30/2023 08:50 I wrote:

>> The FamilySearch Family Tree is by design a shared collaborative tree.
>> Anyone can add info, delete info, etc. There is no concept of "my tree."

and later Bill Walsh responded:

> Then it is NOT collaborative. "Collaborative" means that people work
> TOGETHER and agree on any changes. Not just arbitrarily add people
> wherever they want without any discussion, as happened to my grandfather.

You won't get much of an argument from me about that. From the
description of the Family Tree at the FamilySearch web site, it's
intended to be collaborative effort, and that word is used to describe
it. It's a noble goal, but in practice, it sometimes works, and
sometimes doesn't.

As I wrote in the post you responded to, I've never contributed to the
FamilySearch Family Tree, for basically the same reasons you've noted.

--
Charlie Towne
ceto...@gmail.com

Bruce

Nov 1, 2023, 3:11:02 AM11/1/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stan,,

Thank you for the information.  I sent an email to the Allen County Public Library and will await their reply.

Bruce

Bruce L. Nicholson, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences
University of Maine
Orono, Maine

Retired and now living in sunny Gold Canyon, Arizona

Personal family history web site: www.brucenicholson.net

Bruce

Nov 1, 2023, 3:20:08 AM11/1/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the clarification!!

I will upload my Gedcom file to the PRF.

But, just to be sure, how do I check to see if I already have done this?

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce L. Nicholson, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences
University of Maine
Orono, Maine

Retired and now living in sunny Gold Canyon, Arizona

Personal family history web site: www.brucenicholson.net

Charlie Towne

Nov 1, 2023, 1:45:23 PM11/1/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
On 11/1/2023 3:20 AM, Bruce wrote:

> I will upload my Gedcom file to the PRF.
>
> But, just to be sure, how do I check to see if I already have done this?

I don't have a GEDCOM file there, but it looks like the following will work.

The description of the Pedigree Resource File at
https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Pedigree_Resource_File includes
instructions on how to delete a GEDCOM file that you previously
submitted. As part of this, a list of GEDCOM files you previously
submitted will be displayed. Here are those instructions, slightly
modified to reflect the options shown in the current FamilySearch web site.

- From the FamilySearch home page, login to your FamilySearch account.

- Click "Search" in the menu bar, then "Genealogies."

- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Upload your individual tree."

- A list of the GEDCOM files you've submitted to the Pedigree Resource
File will be displayed.

--
Charlie Towne
ceto...@gmail.com

Bruce

Nov 2, 2023, 3:26:14 AM11/2/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com, Bruce
Hi Charlie,

Thank you for this information!  I have gone to both sites but have not been able to figure out if I had previously uploaded my gedcom file to PRF.  But I am assuming that I have not and, therefore, will upload my gedcom file tomorrow.

This will be great in that my family database will be available on a free site, albeit that people will have to be subscribers to Family Search.
.
After the demise of World Connect, I changed the link to my family tree on my web site to Ancestry which, of course, requires a paid subscription to access.  After I upload my gedcom file to PRF, I can change the link on my web site to the PRF site.  However, I would like to include the information that it is free to join Family Search and, thereby, see my family tree.  But I am not sure this will be possible.  The company on which I originally created my family website recently was purchased by another company which uses a different web site creation and editing program than the one I used years ago to create my web site and, unfortunately, my original web site creation and editing program no longer exists.  Therefore, I am very limited in what I can add to or change in my web site other than URL links.

Although I am a retired university professor and research scientist, I am not very knowledgeable about these things.  Perhaps, you know more and can help.  If I find another web hosting site, can this new site "clone" my current web site and, if so, can I keep the same domain name?

Thank you very much for you help!!

Bruce

Bruce L. Nicholson, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences
University of Maine
Orono, Maine

Retired and now living in sunny Gold Canyon, Arizona

Personal family history web site: www.brucenicholson.net

Charlie Towne

Nov 2, 2023, 4:30:18 PM11/2/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
On 11/2/2023 3:26 AM, Bruce wrote:

> After the demise of World Connect, I changed the link to my family tree
> on my web site to Ancestry which, of course, requires a paid
> subscription to access.

As I think has been noted by someone else in this thread, you don't need
a paid subscription to Ancestry to see someone's tree. With a free
Ancestry account (aka a Registered Guest account), you can see any tree
to which you've been invited by the owner.

> Although I am a retired university professor and research scientist, I
> am not very knowledgeable about these things.  Perhaps, you know more
> and can help.  If I find another web hosting site, can this new site
> "clone" my current web site and, if so, can I keep the same domain name?

I don't think another hosting site will do it for you. But do you have,
or can you download, all the source files from your current site onto
your home computer? I.e., can you view the web site on your own
computer, by clicking the file for the home page (probably index.htm)?
If so, I think you should be able to upload them to a different hosting
site, and it should just work.

As for the domain name, I've got zero experience with what's required to
have your own domain name. I know that at least some hosts allow that,
at some cost I assume. In a different thread in this mailing list I
noted that I moved my RootsWeb site to Family History Hosting
(www.familyhistoryhosting.com), opting for one of their "Archive" plans.
That doesn't allow you to have your own domain name. Their "Standard"
plans do, but at a slightly higher yearly cost.

--
Charlie Towne
ceto...@gmail.com

beth.dj...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2023, 2:37:23 PM11/3/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
I'm probably going to go with one of the familyhistoryhosting.com archive plans. I don't need email through them, and I'd rather not bother with having to get a domain name.

Nov 4, 2023, 3:03:47 AM11/4/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charlie!

Thank you again for your reply and new information!

I did not know that someone could view a family tree on Ancestry for free.  What is a Registered Guest account and would anyone checking the link on my web site to my Ancestry tree be informed of this and how then to view my tree?  It was so simple when World Connect was in existence and anyone finding my web site could simply click on the "My Family Tree" box on my web site and immediately be sent to my family tree on World Connect for free.  Why do people keep "fixing" things which are not broken?  I know!!  It always is about making more money.  I have no problem with Ancestry charging membership fees and making money but I DO HAVE A PROBLEM with Ancestry in that they seem to not recognize that they are not just a company selling refrigerators or TVs but a company with a huge responsibility to a larger cause than simply making money.  It is OK for them to make money from subscriptions but to gobble up free sites and then delete them to gain more profits is unconscionable!

As for you question about my current web site, I have all the photos on my computer and and I can view and copy all the narratives, subtitles, etc. so I could rebuild a new web site but, of course, that will require a work on my part.

Yes, the file to edit in my current web site is "index.htm".  But I am not sure about uploading this to a different hosting site since the new hosting site which acquired my old site (originally on Yahoo Small Business) said they cannot do that when I asked if they simply could upload or move or transfer my current web site to their editing program whereby I could then edit, add to, etc. my web site.  They told me that the only way to edit or change my web site (other than a few exceptions such as web links) is with the program I originally used to create and edit the web site (the web site program then on Yahoo Small Business) which no longer exists.

I have  been researching other web hosting sites and the process for transferring web site content and my domain.  ALL the web hosting sites I have contacted said they they cannot simply transfer my web site and that I must create a new web site from scratch.  It may be possible to transfer my domain to another hosting service but, apparently, it is not very simple.  But I will keep investigating!

Thank you again for your help!!

Bruce

Bruce L. Nicholson, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences
University of Maine
Orono, Maine

Retired and now living in sunny Gold Canyon, Arizona

Personal family history web site: www.brucenicholson.net

Charlie Towne

Nov 5, 2023, 1:15:30 AM11/5/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
On 11/4/2023 3:03 AM, Bruce wrote:

> I did not know that someone could view a family tree on Ancestry for
> free. *What is a Registered Guest account and would anyone checking the
> link on my web site to my Ancestry tree be informed of this and how then
> to view my tree? * It was so simple when World Connect was in existence

See
https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/Free-Registered-Guest-Accounts
for info about Registered Guest accounts.

As for what happens when they click your link, you can test this
yourself. (Be sure you're not logged into Ancestry when you do this.) I
just did it, and was taken to the Ancestry login page. At the bottom of
that page is a link "Not a member? Sign up for free."

Note though, as I said in the message you responded to, that with a
Registered Guest account they won't be able to see your tree unless
you've specifically invited them to see it. So while this may be OK for
family and friends, who you can send invitations to after they've signed
up, it's not a good solution for a random John Doe who finds your web
site, since they probably wouldn't know they'd need to contact you and
ask to be invited, or wouldn't go to the trouble even if they did.

Although WorldConnect trees are now unavailable, Ancestry has said that
eventually they'll be "migrated to Ancestry as a new free-access
collection later in the year [2023]." I have no clue about where they'll
end up (i.e., the web address), and I don't have a lot of faith that
it'll happen in 2023, but if they do eventually come back, you could
then go back to linking with your WorldConnect tree instead of your
Ancestry tree. I also wouldn't be surprised if people would still need a
Registered Guest account to see them, but hopefully they wouldn't need
to be specifically invited by you in order to see your tree.

I've got a couple other questions and possible suggestions, but since
your web site isn't at RootsWeb, and at least for now linking to your
WorldConnect tree isn't possible, we're getting kind of off topic for
this mailing list. I'll send you an separate email, but probably not
until tomorrow.

--
Charlie Towne
ceto...@gmail.com

Bruce

Nov 6, 2023, 2:05:33 AM11/6/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charlie,

I tried your test and clicked on the link to Ancestry on my web site but it took me directly to my Ancestry tree (I was not signed into Ancestry).

I am not at all hopeful about my World Connect family tree ever being migrated to another Ancestry site and much less that it will be free!

Bruce

Bruce L. Nicholson, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences
University of Maine
Orono, Maine

Retired and now living in sunny Gold Canyon, Arizona

Personal family history web site: www.brucenicholson.net

delorw...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2023, 4:04:37 PM11/6/23
to rw-webs...@googlegroups.com, delor...@comcast.net

I don’t know if you remember, but in the months prior to removing the WorldConnect trees, they’d drastically altered and changed the trees to the point where the only thing left in them were a bunch of useless names with links going nowhere and not reflecting any sources or notes that used to be included in them, they honestly looked like empty grocery shelves. And that was in addition to not allowing tree owners to have access to make any edits, corrections, or additions. I purposely removed mine when they did finally give us access to do just that, and considered it a blessing when they removed the sites entirely.

Deloris Williams

NCGenWeb Counties:

Franklin, Granville, Halifax, Person, Vance, Warren, Wilkes