FW: Off Road Recovery Failure

Dan Wells

Nov 6, 2022, 8:37:23 PM11/6/22
to rvhpa@googlegroups com

If you have ever considered helping a pilot who’s vehicle needs being winched out you might want to use some caution.

Dan

Nov 6, 2022, 9:06:22 PM11/6/22
to Dan Wells, rvhpa@googlegroups com
I saw an instance of this (hooking up to tow with strap hooked onto trailer ball) in Alaska in 1973.(Yes, there were pickups then,Matilda). The ball broke on the towing vehicle and threw it through the towed vehicle's rear window, narrowly missing the driver before knocking a football size divot in the dash before finally taking out the entire front windshield. It is really a bad idea fifty years ago and hasn't improved since then.
Frames are the proper tow point for extraction.