Emperor Goose- Grants Pass- Yes! - May 10, 2022

Andrew Donnelly

May 10, 2022, 4:21:09 PM5/10/22
to rv-b...@googlegroups.com
Although I am not much of a chaser, and the weather is not very good today, the opportunity to see a cool bird I've never seen before less than an hour from home was too much to resist. So when I checked the weather radar and it didn't look horrible in Grant's Pass, I decided to head up to see if I could find the Emperor Goose reported from somewhere called "Nelson Way Pond" just north of Grants Pass. It was about a 40 minute drive, the weather was indeed better up there (at least it wasn't rainy), I found the pond at the eastern end of Nelson Way very easily, and within a minute I had an Emporer Goose!! It was quite cooperative, hanging between the pond and the gate with a bunch of Canada Geese and some cows. So a successful jaunt.

Check eBird for more a specific location if you are interested in seeing it. Or you can plug in "Nelson Way" into your smartphone map (it isn't a long street) and go to the eastern end where there is an obvious pond in a field, and hopefully it is still wandering around and easily seen.

Andy Donnelly
Medford, OR

EMGO.JPG